The Student Room Group

Becoming a Solicitor with spent convictions.

So, when I was 15/16 to be frank I was a little idiot. After a family sucide I went off the rails a bit and was convicted of 2 things. I'm now doing Law at Uni of Sheffield. Will this prevent me becoming a solictor through the regulation board? I don't really want to ask my tutors, cause its a past mistake, one was a dishonesty, theft of something small from a friend. Before you all blab and give me grief everyone makes mistakes but will that year of mistakes now effect my future?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by naylor12
So, when I was 15/16 to be frank I was a little idiot. After a family sucide I went off the rails a bit and was convicted of 2 things. I'm now doing Law at Uni of Sheffield. Will this prevent me becoming a solictor through the regulation board? I don't really want to ask my tutors, cause its a past mistake, one was a dishonesty, theft of something small from a friend. Before you all blab and give me grief everyone makes mistakes but will that year of mistakes now effect my future?

Hi, check the SRAs suitability test here:
https://www.sra.org.uk/solicitors/handbook/suitabilitytest/content.page

Particularly Part 1, section 1 - criminal offences.

You could see if they have a Registrar you could contact for advice.

I know here in Scotland the Law Society has an admissions comittee/panel which consider these types of things.
(edited 6 years ago)
Have a read of https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4846560&highlight=spent+conviction

There is guidance the SRA has published on this.

It is a good idea to speak to your tutors about it. Your tutors don't have any impact on the eventual SRA process and should be willing to help you.

That said, the tutors may not know the answer. You might need to contact the SRA.
Reply 3
Thanks for the response, bearing in mind I'm 21 now so by the time I apply ill be 24, so would be over 6 years ago. Also I was not over the age of 18 at the time of any offence. Man, why was a dumb teenager hahaa

1) Your tutor will already know. Unless you lied about it on your UCAS form, in which case, I would say you have probably made an even bigger mistake.

How long ago was this?
What was the other conviction for?
What sentence did you get?

You will basically have to make an application to the SRA and they will consider your explanation and suitability to be let into the profession. It is by no means certain they will let you in, so it will depend on the quality of your application. Not seeing the issue of sharing with your tutors.. It may possibly still show on your record. It depends on the facts.
Reply 6
I didn't lie on my UCAS my conviction was spent before I even went to university. But I see where you're coming from.
I didn't lie on my UCAS my conviction was spent before I even went to university. But I see where you're coming from.

There are additional checks if you wish to join the profession. They can still potentially see your convictions.
Did you receive a custodial/suspended sentence for either of the two crimes? Also, you have not detailed the second crime, so without the full facts no one can really give you helpful advice.
Reply 9
I basically stole someone's sunglasses (yes I know) with my mates but it was me who took them and committed the act of theft. I was charged with that and had to pay a fine, this was in 2014.Harassment of an ex-girlfriend and I wasn't very nice to her persistently and this then led to the youth justice court got and was given a suspended sentence and some community service. This was a long time ago, since then I've worked an investment management firm in London, done relevant work experience within three local firms in different legal fields. Actually, it was all this that made interested in Law, was a defining moment in my life both for the right and wrong reasons. Thank-you for taking the time out of your day to read this and help. Glady appreciated:smile:.
I basically stole someone's sunglasses (yes I know) with my mates but it was me who took them and committed the act of theft. I was charged with that and had to pay a fine, this was in 2014.Harassment of an ex-girlfriend and I wasn't very nice to her persistently and this then led to the youth justice court got and was given a suspended sentence and some community service. This was a long time ago, since then I've worked an investment management firm in London, done relevant work experience within three local firms in different legal fields. Actually, it was all this that made interested in Law, was a defining moment in my life both for the right and wrong reasons. Thank-you for taking the time out of your day to read this and help. Glady appreciated:smile:.

Read the information provided to you in the first response..
Imo the odds are against admission or at least very much up in the air.
One of them would have been easier to get past than two. 2014 isnt that old either plus you got a suspended custodial..
You would have to make a strong case as to why you were suitable in spite of the evidence.
Thank-you for taking the time out of your day to read this and help. Glady appreciated:smile:.

This is the requirement straight from the SRA website, to save you rummaging through it.

Unless there are exceptional circumstances, we will refuse your application if you have been convicted by a court of a criminal offence:
(a)
for which you received a custodial or suspended sentence;
(b)
involving dishonesty, fraud, perjury and/or bribery;
(e)
which demonstrated behaviour showing signs of discrimination towards others;
(j)
you have been convicted by a court of more than one criminal offence.

I have cut out the parts not relevant to you, but I would say that the above are completely in line with your application.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 12
thank so much. So i'm guessing i should do my masters in something not legally related cause there is just no point?
thank so much. So i'm guessing i should do my masters in something not legally related cause there is just no point?

I dont want to be the person who tells you cannot do something, however, I do not like giving false advice. I appreciate it is just an unfortunate situation you are in, you did something when you were young and now will suffer the consequences.

The legal sector is fiercely competitive, as I am sure you know. Firms receive hundreds/thousands of applications for very few places, they are looking for any reason to reject you, to make their decision between as few applicants as possible.

Even if you were to get through the SRA, which from their stance is very unlikely, you will then have to overcome the bigger hurdle of explaining all of this to a law firm. The legal sector values integrity very highly, for obvious reasons, so I am not sure how rational it is to carry on. It might not be impossible but it seems unlikely.

I think @J-SP will be able to give you a concrete answer, being a legal recruiter.
Reply 14
You're completely right, but i'm aiming for a 2:1 or a 1st and on track. I think a law degree is well respected throughout many different career fields. Thanks guys :smile:
Reply 15
Being cruel to be kind here, but i would suggest if your attitude towards your convictions is that people on TSR are not to 'blab and give you grief' then you may need to reflect on your convictions and think hard about how you can demonstrate remorse and a changed outlook. The SRA will give you grief as well otherwise.

We all make mistakes, but two of them may mean you should look elsewhere for a career elsewhere. You may be disappointed if you apply to a competitive field and find you get rejected at the paper stage.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 16
I simply meant I didn't want obvious replies to the post. It was my fault, I committed a crime, ive moved forward, never been in trouble with police again. Surely my changed outlook should be the fact I went to study law because of what ive done? Actually, the guys' sunglasses who I stole I'm now friends with as I apologised to him if I asked him I'm sure he'd even give me a reformed character reference. And during the time this all happened one of my close family members took there life and it was quite down to the people i hung around with
A suspended sentence for harassment sounds quite serious to me. That is not just a 'teenage mistake'. The SRA's guidance on what they will do if you received a suspended sentence is self-explanatory.

I'm no expert, but honestly I wouldn't fancy your chances if you have to disclose that. It might be worth trying to get the SRA to clear you ahead of time. Personally I wouldn't spend money on the GDL/LPC etc. unless the SRA clear you.

A law degree is a well respected degree in general and is relevant to lots of different jobs.
Reply 18
It wasn't a suspended custodial, I was given a warning for harassment and a 12 month suspended that if I then committed the same offence I would appear in front of a minors court. And in retrospect it wasn't serious, the school phoned the police and 2 girls in one year took there lives cause of comments ( not from me but other students ) so when I did it, the school made sure I was the example to what they would do to another student. If I was that ' bad' I'd still be getting in trouble, I'm 20/21 I was 15. Currently studying at a redbrick, It was a mistake and ive worked my absolute hardest to be where I'm at now!
Reply 19
t from what you've all collectively said I think there is no point even pursuing a law career, and I shall explore other options in that of business management or economics. Thank-you for all taking the time to help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending