The Student Room Group

Being a solicitor and husband is incarcerated

Hi I hope you can help me. I am British and living in the U.K. I am returning to college to do HE in law and then to do a Law Degree. I met my husband in 2020 and he is currently incarcerated in the US. I have no criminal history at all. Will his convictions and incarceration affect me becoming a solicitor here in the U.K.? Thanks for any help.
I'm not sure how it would affect anything?

Obviously you would need to declare any conflicts of interest if you somehow became involved in e.g. a legal clinic that was handling his case or something, but if he's based in the US and you're in the UK I can't imagine that's likely.
Original post by emma2310
Hi I hope you can help me. I am British and living in the U.K. I am returning to college to do HE in law and then to do a Law Degree. I met my husband in 2020 and he is currently incarcerated in the US. I have no criminal history at all. Will his convictions and incarceration affect me becoming a solicitor here in the U.K.? Thanks for any help.

Hi @emma2310,

When you qualify, you will be asked to declare any personal convictions and, of course, if you were somehow involved in his legal proceedings (which you wouldn't be allowed to be) you would have to declare your conflict of interest before your involvement. However, someone else's criminal convictions should not weigh into whether you are deemed to maintain the qualities needed within a legal professional in the UK.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Sophie 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending