The Student Room Group

Met police sorry about murder scene selfie

Well that was a spectacularly stupid thing to do. They wonder why people dont like plods as well?

The Met Police has apologised after two officers took a selfie at a murder scene and posted it on social media.
Uniformed officers from Newham, east London, took the photo outside the Stratford Centre on Thursday, where a man had been fatally stabbed two days before.
They shared it on the Forest Gate North Twitter page with the caption: "Crime scene at Stratford mall today."
A spokesman said the officers showed a "lack of judgement and sensitivity".
A crime scene is still in place and no arrests have yet been made.
Many Twitter users condemned the photo, which has since been taken down.
Skip Twitter post by @zazzy_boomZara Lewis@zazzy_boomUm why are my local police posting selfies from a murder scene? https://twitter.com/mpsforestgtenth/status/976761728645165056 12:12 AM - Mar 23, 2018 Hackney, LondonTwitter Ads info and privacyReportEnd of Twitter post by @zazzy_boomSkip Twitter post by @NATCROFT1NATALIE@NATCROFT1Replying to @MPSForestGteNth @MPSNewhamQuite a few murders in the capital this week. I know!!!....let’s take a selfie by the crime scene 12:30 AM - Mar 23, 2018Twitter Ads info and privacyReportEnd of Twitter post by @NATCROFT1Skip Twitter post by @LawMikeMike Law@LawMike[url="https://twitter.com/_/status/976761728645165056"]Replying to @MPSForestGteNth @MPSNewham
Have you caught the perpetrator(s) yet? Of course not, too busy posing for a selfie.12:11 AM - Mar 23, 2018Twitter Ads info and privacyReportEnd of Twitter post by @LawMikeSkip Twitter post by @MPSForestGteNthForest Gate North@MPSForestGteNthWe apologise for any offence caused by the ‘selfie’ picture that was posted from the scene of a serious crime this morning. The officers showed a lack of judgement and sensitivity in posting this and they will be spoken to and reminded of how to use social media responsibly.5:14 AM - Mar 23, 2018Twitter Ads info and privacyReportEnd of Twitter post by @MPSForestGteNth

The Met Police spokesman said the officers involved would be "reminded of how to use social media responsibly to keep the public informed of their work in the community, arrests and catching offenders".
The victim, believed to be in his 20s, was pronounced dead at the scene at about 22:30 GMT on Tuesday, about an hour after police found him with multiple stab wounds.
Police believe the victim and a friend were involved in an altercation with a group of young males before he was stabbed.
Image captionThe victim was pronounced dead at the scene in east London
His next of kin have been informed and a post-mortem examination will be held.
He was the eighth person to be fatally stabbed or shot in London in one week.

Scroll to see replies

Professionally offended out in force again.
Reply 2
Original post by Notoriety

You think it’s okay to take selfies where someone has been stabbed to death when they’re meant to be investigating?🤔
Original post by Napp
You think it’s okay to take selfies where someone has been stabbed to death when they’re meant to be investigating?🤔

They're not meant to be investigating. They're meant to stand outside the crime scene and prevent the tarpaulin from being blown away.

You can't even see the crime scene in the pic. Coppers share selfie of their face in new scandalous tweet! Let's go MENTAAAL!!!! WAHOOOOO!
Reply 4
They're not meant to be investigating. They're meant to stand outside the crime scene and prevent the tarpaulin from being blown away.

You can't even see the crime scene in the pic. Coppers share selfie of their face in new scandalous tweet! Let's go MENTAAAL!!!! WAHOOOOO!

How on earth would you know what they're meant to or not meant to be doing? :lol:
Original post by Napp
How on earth would you know what they're meant to or not meant to be doing? :lol:

Because I am not daft.

See the Telegraph.

The two officers posed for a picture in front of an east London shopping centre while guarding a cordon where a 20-year-old had died after being chased and stabbed by a gang.
Reply 6

And yet you still think it’s okay to be taking selfies at a murder scene? How about having a punch up at a wedding, maybe having a phone call to your best mate about nailing that drunk chick the night before - whilst a funeral perhaps?
Original post by Napp
And yet you still think it’s okay to be taking selfies at a murder scene? How about having a punch up at a wedding, maybe having a phone call to your best mate about nailing that drunk chick the night before - whilst a funeral perhaps?

Oh, we are just going to pretend like you never just got showed up? OK.

All those things are as offensive to me as the straw man you just used. We're talking about whether the selfie pics (of faces) were obnoxious, not whether shagging a widower is.
Original post by Napp
Well that was a spectacularly stupid thing to do. They wonder why people dont like plods as well?

If the officers had propped up the corpse and taken a selfie with it then i could see the outrage
Reply 9

Last time I checked, police officers were SUPPOSED to do their job

Just shows your level of professionalism if you see nothing obnoxious about it. I bet you're the type of person who plays with your phone when you've got a whole line of customers standing opposite you waiting to be served their fries.
Original post by Nerry
Last time I checked, police officers were SUPPOSED to do their job

Just shows your level of professionalism if you see nothing obnoxious about it. I bet you're the type of person who plays with your phone when you've got a whole line of customers standing opposite you waiting to be served their fries.

The tarpaulin didn't move an inch. Job: done.
The main thing wrong with this photo is that it gives idiots an opportunity to complain about something and to waste police time. The coppers could have realised that. Otherwise they were doing their duty making sure that nobody interfered with the crime scene and 'reaching out' to the community and presenting a soft side to the force's image, as no doubt, they have licence to do. They merely misjudged the public's capacity to be outraged at nothing.

Nobody ever went far wrong in assuming the public, especially the social media using snowflake public, only have access to a brain cell on alternate Thursdays when there is a full moon and an R in the month.
Error of judgement and stupid PR blunder by people who should know better..Agree with what good bloke said above though about professional complainers.
Police officers put their life's on the line in the curse of duty.

Does it reflect on the entire police? No, just the two in question for that incident.
is it widespread? Well if it was we would have a daily news story about it.
(edited 6 years ago)
It’s unprofessional. If I was at work and snapped a selfie while in a meeting and posted it on social media I doubt my boss would be best pleased.

I get that police are trying to be more approachable with their social media presence, but imo it makes them have less authority. And if something happened to a close family member and they were snapping selfies at the murder scene making light of it I doubt i’d be happy.
Original post by 999tigger
goof bloke

smh.

This is the kind of moronic **** they force on us to get offended about and deflect away from real issues in our retarded society. Yet coppers can roll by and get told not to worry about a young 12 year girl forced to give head to a groomer, because she is ''only sucking his ****'' and drive on and do nothing, or ignore all kinds of sick, depraved rapes and abuse.

Thanks Lefties.
Original post by Underground906
This is the kind of moronic **** they force on us to get offended about and deflect away from real issues in our retarded society. Yet coppers can roll by and get told not to worry about a young 12 year girl forced to give head to a groomer, because she is ''only sucking his ****'' and drive on and do nothing, or ignore all kinds of sick, depraved rapes and abuse.

Thanks Lefties.

The issue is telling people how to think and behave, and thinking your being offended (the sheer power of it) automatically means you're right. By doing this you abandon any counterargument, reason, and empathy for others.
Theresa mayhem and her cult will use this as a basis to make cuts again 😂😂😂
The issue is telling people how to think and behave, and thinking your being offended (the sheer power of it) automatically means you're right. By doing this you abandon any counterargument, reason, and empathy for others.

Perfectly put. It's called operant conditioning, and the left used to used this tactic incessantly until the fear of being seen as causing ''offence'' simply for things like having opposing views of being on the other side of the political spectrum, and the massive emotionally-driven, irrational backlash that ensured in public, scared the life out of most people and wouldn't dare to publicly oppose it. It's still their main tactic, but now is has become some default in general society among non-left wing people.

'Causing offence' to people who need to grow a back bone, grow and up learn to control their emotions and get a life is now the worse kind social transgression, today's version of being a witch. The severity or triviality of the stimulus that causes it doesn't matter.
What a non story..

The police officer shouldn't have taken the selfie, the met police apologised and no one was harmed in the process. Done.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending