The Student Room Group

SKE chat/support thread.

Hi everyone,

I've recently started my SKE, having accepted a place on a Biology PGCE. I've chosen the 16 week course, as it's parts of the A-level content that were the areas I felt least confident about teaching.

I think a few people have mentioned SKE courses on the forum, so I thought it might be nice to have a thread where we can chat about our progress?

I've just had my first assignment back and passed with some good feedback, but I'm much less confident about my second module!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm doing a 26 week physics ske but am still on my first module ( core gcse ). The module summary involves taking 1-2 hr videos and turning the info into 12-20 PowerPoint slides. I'm really struggling to grasp how that much info can be condensed into such a small presentation. On the plus side I've got until the 13th April to do it
Original post by Cyates86
I'm doing a 26 week physics ske but am still on my first module ( core gcse ). The module summary involves taking 1-2 hr videos and turning the info into 12-20 PowerPoint slides. I'm really struggling to grasp how that much info can be condensed into such a small presentation. On the plus side I've got until the 13th April to do it

I've done two assignment so far- I'm doing the A-level module, so we're expected to 3-4 hours of video plus extra reading into about 40 slides. It is tricky, but you don't have to cover everything in lots of detail- as long as you cover the key areas, you can leave out some of the details in the video.

My slides are generally quite content heavy as well. You don't have to put pictures/diagrams on every slide, and can fill slides with text if you want.

You get two chances at each assignment, so I'd suggest giving the first one a go. Once you've got some feedback, you'll feel more confident tackling your next assignment!
Reply 3
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Hi everyone,

I've recently started my SKE, having accepted a place on a Biology PGCE. I've chosen the 16 week course, as it's parts of the A-level content that were the areas I felt least confident about teaching.

I think a few people have mentioned SKE courses on the forum, so I thought it might be nice to have a thread where we can chat about our progress?

I've just had my first assignment back and passed with some good feedback, but I'm much less confident about my second module!

Who is your provider? I’m working through my Biology SKE too, really enjoying it and can definitely feel my knowledge improving! I think the main thing is just having a bit more confidence about what I’ll be teaching. Although the other 2 science worry me slightly, once I finish the required modules for biology I’m going to watch through the GCSE resources provided for chemistry and physics too to try and alleviate that worry!
Reply 4
Vidlearn sounds like you are too. Is your degree in biology then? My degree is biology related but I'm doing physics
Original post by Jh91
Who is your provider? I’m working through my Biology SKE too, really enjoying it and can definitely feel my knowledge improving! I think the main thing is just having a bit more confidence about what I’ll be teaching. Although the other 2 science worry me slightly, once I finish the required modules for biology I’m going to watch through the GCSE resources provided for chemistry and physics too to try and alleviate that worry!

This is my plan as well. I finished the first two modules a bit quicker than suggested, so hopefully there will be plenty of time to watch the chemistry and physics videos as well. I think we can keep access to the SKE content after finishing, so we should be able to go back to the chemistry and physics content in September if we need to!

Vidlearn sounds like you are too. Is your degree in biology then? My degree is biology related but I'm doing physics

I'm also doing mine with Vidlearn as it was recommended by my uni.
Reply 6
I'm also doing mine with Vidlearn as it was recommended by my uni.

Yeh I heard that as well about being able to continue accessing the content I think for the full PGCE year and even the NQT year? Which is bloody great as I don’t know about you but I find the videos great - particularly the teaching examples as it’s good to see the level it’s pitched in he classroom. I’m on the 3rd A Level module now and feel my knowledge has grown massively but I am still nervous. My worst fear is being asked questions and not knowing the answer or just going blank over something really simple and looking stupid!!!!
Original post by Jh91
Yeh I heard that as well about being able to continue accessing the content I think for the full PGCE year and even the NQT year? Which is bloody great as I don’t know about you but I find the videos great - particularly the teaching examples as it’s good to see the level it’s pitched in he classroom. I’m on the 3rd A Level module now and feel my knowledge has grown massively but I am still nervous. My worst fear is being asked questions and not knowing the answer or just going blank over something really simple and looking stupid!!!!

I've just finished my third module. I agree it's really helpful seeing how tasks are pitched in the classroom, and thinking about how I can include tasks/questions in my presentations.

With questions where you don't know the answer I think the best strategy can be turning it around on the questioner "How could you find out the answer to that yourself?" "Why don't you google it quickly and tell the class?" I think by A-level students will accept you may not know the answer to everything. I think questions are more likely to be because they don't understand though or "Will this come up on the exam?"

I think it's great to keep access to the resources, and I find the textbook a really useful source for worked examples etc. too!
Reply 8
I've just finished my third module. I agree it's really helpful seeing how tasks are pitched in the classroom, and thinking about how I can include tasks/questions in my presentations.

With questions where you don't know the answer I think the best strategy can be turning it around on the questioner "How could you find out the answer to that yourself?" "Why don't you google it quickly and tell the class?" I think by A-level students will accept you may not know the answer to everything. I think questions are more likely to be because they don't understand though or "Will this come up on the exam?"

I think it's great to keep access to the resources, and I find the textbook a really useful source for worked examples etc. too!

Yeh I totally agree, been thinking how many ways can I reword the question “what do you think?” Haha!!!

Yeh the text books are great I was very impressed with all the stuff they sent, I went on Amazon and bought the GCSE Physics and Chemistry ones of the same set second hand!
Original post by Jh91
Yeh I totally agree, been thinking how many ways can I reword the question “what do you think?” Haha!!!

Yeh the text books are great I was very impressed with all the stuff they sent, I went on Amazon and bought the GCSE Physics and Chemistry ones of the same set second hand!

That's a good idea, I might try that before September.

If I'm struggling to think of questions etc, I steal them from past exam papers and provide my worked answer/possible answers. My tutor seems to really like this approach!
Original post by Jh91

Same here I'm about to start biology A-level the 16- weeks course in 12 weeks...I'm very nervous and trying to plan and think ahead. Im not sure about the assignment task of the presentation. Can anyone help me!!
Original post by Scorpio2810
Same here I'm about to start biology A-level the 16- weeks course in 12 weeks...I'm very nervous and trying to plan and think ahead. Im not sure about the assignment task of the presentation. Can anyone help me!!

The 16 week timescale is based on 25 hour weeks. If you're not working full time, you can probably put more hours in a week and finish quicker. With the VidLearn course, I've also found that I'm usually putting in about 2/3 of the recommended time per module, and I've gotten good passes for 5/8 modules so far.

I found the presentations intimidating at first too, but they are not looking for anything earth shattering. As long as you can provide explanations for the topic, then you'll be ok.

I made detailed notes from each video lecture and took notes from the textbook- then organised each area of the topic into a sensible order, and provided explanations. You can use diagrams you find online to illustrate points as copyright doesn't apply to educational used. My tutor also seems to like it if you include a slide of definitions of key terms and consolidation exercises, like quizes and example past paper questions.

If your subject includes any maths elements, worked examples of these also go down well.

Good luck!
The 16 week timescale is based on 25 hour weeks. If you're not working full time, you can probably put more hours in a week and finish quicker. With the VidLearn course, I've also found that I'm usually putting in about 2/3 of the recommended time per module, and I've gotten good passes for 5/8 modules so far.

I found the presentations intimidating at first too, but they are not looking for anything earth shattering. As long as you can provide explanations for the topic, then you'll be ok.

I made detailed notes from each video lecture and took notes from the textbook- then organised each area of the topic into a sensible order, and provided explanations. You can use diagrams you find online to illustrate points as copyright doesn't apply to educational used. My tutor also seems to like it if you include a slide of definitions of key terms and consolidation exercises, like quizes and example past paper questions.

If your subject includes any maths elements, worked examples of these also go down well.

Good luck!

Hi,

So, I'm watching the videos at the moment and making notes. After I have watched the videos and studied the text books. What I do for the assignment...Do I then make a presentation with all the information I have studied and use resoruces for group activiies and videos that I wouold show etc. Also, How long was yours?? Do I do write-up as well??
Sorry, I wished they had given us a demo version so you know the expectations etc??
What are they looking for etc??
Original post by Scorpio2810
Hi,

So, I'm watching the videos at the moment and making notes. After I have watched the videos and studied the text books. What I do for the assignment...Do I then make a presentation with all the information I have studied and use resoruces for group activiies and videos that I wouold show etc. Also, How long was yours?? Do I do write-up as well??
Sorry, I wished they had given us a demo version so you know the expectations etc??
What are they looking for etc??

I agree, an example version would be helpful.

I didn't include group activities or videos- because it's about showing your own understanding, but I'm sure you could if you wanted too. I literally summarized the information into a presentation- provided some examples from extra reading and some activities to check understanding (e.g. quiz questions with answers).

I think, don't overthink it. Don't forget if you don't pass you can redo the assignment. Most of mine have hit the 40 slide limit, but the last one I did was about 30 slides, I think, for a module with less hours.
With vidlearn it's just doing a PowerPoint presentation of the core recordings for each section. Throw in some questions with working out. Maybe an intro and summary. Pics from the internet. Some example questions Etc.
The module reflection has to have a summary of initial and final multiple choice questions/ ska. How you felt about the module. How you feel about the next module and what you've done study wise
With vidlearn it's just doing a PowerPoint presentation of the core recordings for each section. Throw in some questions with working out. Maybe an intro and summary. Pics from the internet. Some example questions Etc.
The module reflection has to have a summary of initial and final multiple choice questions/ ska. How you felt about the module. How you feel about the next module and what you've done study wise

Just out of curiosity, are you finding your module reflections are getting quite repetitive? I've done 6/8 modules now, and I'm struggling to find new things to say!
Oh yeah what can you say really and its a page every time I don't see the point in them at all
Oh yeah what can you say really and its a page every time I don't see the point in them at all

I mean occasionally I have a paragraph's worth of stuff to say about how I've structured things or whatever, but 90% of it is just waffle and saying the same things in different ways. I'm passing all my modules with good feedback, so it seems pointless to set myself targets etc- surely the target is to keep producing work at the same standard?

To be fair though, they usually take less than an hour to write so I guess I can't complain too much!
Hi. I need to do a 16 week ske biology course. I’m unsure which provider to go for, TES or vidlearn? Any recommendations?
Original post by Helenbiology
Hi. I need to do a 16 week ske biology course. I’m unsure which provider to go for, TES or vidlearn? Any recommendations?

I did mine through vidlearn, and found it pretty good- I have seen some people have less good experiences with TES. However, you probably get the most out of the vidlearn one if you live near sussex and can go to the practical sessions too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending