The Student Room Group

What is A-Level RE like?

I would like to know what is like for the people studying it and the topics. The exam board is OCR.
Original post by ProStudent
I would like to know what is like for the people studying it and the topics. The exam board is OCR.

http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/as-a-level-gce-religious-studies-h173-h573-from-2016/specification-at-a-glance/

Spec is here, with spec at a glance.

The spec shows what you study so the topics so is only answering half of what they're asking. They also asked how it's like for the people studying it.
Original post by ProStudent

I do that subject and the board so I believe I am equipped to answer this. Personally, I enjoy the subject although I have gone through 5 teachers in the past 2 years while studying it. I have found 3/5 of those teachers brilliant and exciting, they have good material and engage us in debate; help in revision material and make the course actually worth something. I think having a good teacher is crucial for you to enjoy and do well in this subject.

You also need to be a good writer - someone who doesn't mind long essays and getting engaged with the subject. You need to be able to think on your feet too. Doing RS introduces tens of different arguments, you HAVE to have a good memory and be able to recall that argument in the exam hall fairly but also remain critical. These skills cannot be ignored. Honestly, I do not think that you have to be a keen reader as I am average and predicted an A*. You need to have a retention of course material, do some further reading and garner an ability to write with sophistication. The course is fun but is heavy mind you - there is no time for slacking here, that cannot happen.

I recommend the course though, it's my favorite subject and though definitely not 'easy' - it offers me a break in terms of the side of my brain that I have to use. I do Maths, Biology, and Chemistry so to stop using the logical or numerical side of my brain is a nice change - rather I can theorize and hypothesize and have a discussion with my peers. It is also a respected A Level and has helped me with my application to medical school, so it leaves a wide range of course options for you. There are also various revision sources available to you - some of the best I have ever seen online and in paperback so you will not be stranded.

Any further questions, please do ask.
Reply 4
Original post by medicalmisfit
I do that subject and the board so I believe I am equipped to answer this. Personally, I enjoy the subject although I have gone through 5 teachers in the past 2 years while studying it. I have found 3/5 of those teachers brilliant and exciting, they have good material and engage us in debate; help in revision material and make the course actually worth something. I think having a good teacher is crucial for you to enjoy and do well in this subject.

You also need to be a good writer - someone who doesn't mind long essays and getting engaged with the subject. You need to be able to think on your feet too. Doing RS introduces tens of different arguments, you HAVE to have a good memory and be able to recall that argument in the exam hall fairly but also remain critical. These skills cannot be ignored. Honestly, I do not think that you have to be a keen reader as I am average and predicted an A*. You need to have a retention of course material, do some further reading and garner an ability to write with sophistication. The course is fun but is heavy mind you - there is no time for slacking here, that cannot happen.

I recommend the course though, it's my favorite subject and though definitely not 'easy' - it offers me a break in terms of the side of my brain that I have to use. I do Maths, Biology, and Chemistry so to stop using the logical or numerical side of my brain is a nice change - rather I can theorize and hypothesize and have a discussion with my peers. It is also a respected A Level and has helped me with my application to medical school, so it leaves a wide range of course options for you. There are also various revision sources available to you - some of the best I have ever seen online and in paperback so you will not be stranded.

Any further questions, please do ask.

I second exactly what @medicalmisfit has said, it's such a diverse and interesting subject but also includes some challenging concepts. I'm studying it at the moment alongside English Literature, History and English Language.

You need to be prepared to write long essays (I'd say in a full exam paper I probably write 2,500 words) and to learn a fair amount of quotes so that you can comment on the viewpoint of other scholars to your debate. There's no coursework to fall back on, so you really have to work hard to ensure that your knowledge is secure.

It's a really great subject which I find really interesting. I wouldn't say that I do lots of reading outside of the subject and I'm predicted an A at AS, if you're willing to go off and find out the views of different scholars on particular topics that will be great. You don't need to read the whole of Dawkins' The God Dellusion to be able to quote a couple of sentences from it, for example.

Check what religious component you will be studying (we do Hinduism) and, if it's something you know nothing about, a little bit of summer reading wouldn't go a miss. You can get brilliant books called A graphic guide to Hinduism. I know you can get them for ethics like utilitarianism that you'll study too. They give lovely little summaries with diagrams to use for revision. But don't go wild, tons of reading is really not necessary!

Shout up if you want to know anything more and good luck!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by 999tigger
Are you having a laugh? I am aware of what I posted. I answered half the question. How much did you answer?

No I'm not. I never claimed to though. I'm not going to try to help with something I don't know about. Someone else actually did.
What I posted was correct for part of the question. You provided nothing, so am not seeing where you get off.? Hilaire.

I'm just saying, I'm not trying to be picky. Don't see how that's funny. I'm saying there's no point in answering something you don't know about, I don't know about it so I'm not going to and even if I did it would be different because the exam board would be eduqas and not ocr in my school. I only chose RS as a 5th subject.
I understand you were trying to help. Sorry.
What I posted was correct for part of the question. You provided nothing, so am not seeing where you get off.? Hilaire.
Clearly one of those people in life that just likes to criticise, but never actually does anything themselves.

Damn didn't even notice your second part of the post. Actually no I'm not, I'm actually the opposite, you can't just judge based on my few post on just this thread
People have actually said the opposite that I'm quite positive.
Maybe I am being a bit picky and negative with this then, so once again I'm sorry.

Quick Reply

Latest