The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

changing to a different course after first year (imperial)

Im currently doing my first year chemistry at imperial college London. However, Ive found the course isn't really suited to me and I'm more interested in biochemistry.
I have asked admissions about transferring to biochemistry.

Does anyone else have experience of switching their course after first year at uni, specifically at imperial or elsewhere?

Did you have to finish first year of your original course/ do the exams? Or did you just drop out and return to do first year of the new course in October?

Thanks in advance for any info and I hope you're all having a good easter.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by green8
Im currently doing my first year chemistry at imperial college London. However, Ive found the course isn't really suited to me and I'm more interested in biochemistry.

Does anyone else have experience of switching their course after first year at uni, specifically at imperial or elsewhere?

Did you have to finish first year of your original course/ do the exams? Or did you just drop out and return to do first year of the new course in October?

You're probably going to have to start all over again. I mean think of the practicals and biology based work you would've missed? It doesn't make sense to expect you to go on to second year being able to do that without significant support from staff

Chemistry isn't all that similar to Biochemistry, despite what the name suggests.
(edited 6 years ago)
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Kyber Ninja
You're probably going to have to start all over again. I mean think of the practicals and biology based work you would've missed? It doesn't make sense to expect you to go on to second year being able to do that without significant support from staff

yes I'm not expecting to start in second year
Original post by green8
yes I'm not expecting to start in second year

Sorry, I misread your inital post.

I doubt they'd make you do the exams.

It's just a question of whether you'd be allowed to transfer to Y1 of Biochemistry, or whether you'd have to reapply from ucas as a new applicant.

I don't have the answer to that, and I don't know any regulars on this website that do. It's probably best to wait to see what admissions say
Reply 4
Sorry, I misread your inital post.

I doubt they'd make you do the exams.

It's just a question of whether you'd be allowed to transfer to Y1 of Biochemistry, or whether you'd have to reapply from ucas as a new applicant.

I don't have the answer to that, and I don't know any regulars on this website that do. It's probably best to wait to see what admissions say

Thanks for your help.

Yes I'm unsure about how the transfer process would work, admissions asked me for a reference from my personal tutor and a personal statement which I've sent. Just waiting to hear back which is quite unsettling as I'm unsure what the future holds.
Original post by green8
Thanks for your help.

Yes I'm unsure about how the transfer process would work, admissions asked me for a reference from my personal tutor and a personal statement which I've sent. Just waiting to hear back which is quite unsettling as I'm unsure what the future holds.

Oh in that case I imagine a transfer to Y1 is possible.

Think about it, why would they ask your tutor and a PS now if they were gonna make you apply from UCAS anyway.

I would take that as a good sign
Reply 6
Oh in that case I imagine a transfer to Y1 is possible.

Think about it, why would they ask your tutor and a PS now if they were gonna make you apply from UCAS anyway.

I would take that as a good sign

Yes I suppose you're right. I hope so.

Are you studying biochemistry by any chance?
Original post by green8
Yes I suppose you're right. I hope so.

Are you studying biochemistry by any chance?

Haha, no. I'm on a gap year - gonna do chem at Imperial next year (funny coincidence).

I just knew a friend who transferred from Chem to Law who had to submit similar things to you. Although he was allowed on to 2nd year law, but that doesn't really happen for science subjects.

But I would bet you'd be allowed first year transfer based on what I've seen. He was at Bristol.
Reply 8
Haha, no. I'm on a gap year - gonna do chem at Imperial next year (funny coincidence).

I just knew a friend who transferred from Chem to Law who had to submit similar things to you. Although he was allowed on to 2nd year law, but that doesn't really happen for science subjects.

But I would bet you'd be allowed first year transfer based on what I've seen. He was at Bristol.

Cool well let me know if you need any advice/info regarding imperial chemistry. I'd be happy to help!

Hope you're enjoying the gap year.
Reply 9
Original post by green8

I had a friend who was doing Maths with Comp Sci but after giving 1st year exams, didn't like so dropped Maths. She had to do the next year studying only those first year modules she missed because she was doing Maths modules. Point is, from what I know I think there are some common modules with Chem and Biochem and in some Unis basically all the 1st year modules are same so you may get away without having to repeat a year but just continuing with Biochem.

If not I think you could retake the year but studying only those modules from BioChem which you missed. This means you could still go in for the Chem/BioChem common modules exam from this year, so that if you do have to repeat next year would be less pressure maybe? If you really want to change, contact your dept asap to see if something like that can be worked out. Best of luck!
Reply 10
Original post by a9493r
I had a friend who was doing Maths with Comp Sci but after giving 1st year exams, didn't like so dropped Maths. She had to do the next year studying only those first year modules she missed because she was doing Maths modules. Point is, from what I know I think there are some common modules with Chem and Biochem and in some Unis basically all the 1st year modules are same so you may get away without having to repeat a year but just continuing with Biochem.

If not I think you could retake the year but studying only those modules from BioChem which you missed. This means you could still go in for the Chem/BioChem common modules exam from this year, so that if you do have to repeat next year would be less pressure maybe? If you really want to change, contact your dept asap to see if something like that can be worked out. Best of luck!

Great thanks so much thats really helpful.

Im just getting worried about the uncertainty atm as the department haven't contacted me back but I suppose its their easter break so hopefully I can get some conformation when they're back at the college.
Original post by a9493r

I don't think there are any common modules looking on the website.

Intro to chemistry, Phys/inorganic/organic chemistry part 1 and chemistry coursework 1 are the chemistry modules for first year and none of these are present for biochemistry.
Reply 12
I don't think there are any common modules looking on the website.

Intro to chemistry, Phys/inorganic/organic chemistry part 1 and chemistry coursework 1 are the chemistry modules for first year and none of these are present for biochemistry.

Yes they look very different. I don't mind tbh as I think the biochemistry course will be more interesting for me so I'll enjoy the new learning experience if I start from first year.
Original post by green8
Yes they look very different. I don't mind tbh as I think the biochemistry course will be more interesting for me so I'll enjoy the new learning experience if I start from first year.

Yeah and that's the main thing tbh.

gotta do what you enjoy; I don't think it's a bad thing if you have to start from year one. The content would be knew to you anyway and you're interested.

It's just not financially great, but I assume you've made peace with it - it gets written off in 30 years, so it's not deep
Reply 14
Yeah and that's the main thing tbh.

gotta do what you enjoy; I don't think it's a bad thing if you have to start from year one. The content would be knew to you anyway and you're interested.

It's just not financially great, but I assume you've made peace with it - it gets written off in 30 years, so it's not deep

yes happiness is the main goal and will help me get more out of being at imperial.

My parents aren't too happy about my expensive life decisions but hopefully I can make it up to them one day. Another summer of working at mcdonalds for me
Original post by green8
yes happiness is the main goal and will help me get more out of being at imperial.

My parents aren't too happy about my expensive life decisions but hopefully I can make it up to them one day. Another summer of working at mcdonalds for me

Haha, good luck - free food though - at least I got some when I worked there
Reply 16
Haha, good luck - free food though - at least I got some when I worked there

Haha yes the free food on the breaks is good even though it can get a bit repetitive. Its not a bad place to work tbh, it taught me a lot about how to take criticism - couldn't take it too personally with all those complaining customers.
Reply 17
Original post by green8
Great thanks so much thats really helpful.

Im just getting worried about the uncertainty atm as the department haven't contacted me back but I suppose its their easter break so hopefully I can get some conformation when they're back at the college.

Hhmm yea Uni admin is very slow over easter mostly, sit tight Im sure they would let you know soon. Otherwise maybe worth it to just pop in to their offices and clarify everything there itself?
Reply 18
Original post by a9493r
Hhmm yea Uni admin is very slow over easter mostly, sit tight Im sure they would let you know soon. Otherwise maybe worth it to just pop in to their offices and clarify everything there itself?

Thanks, yes, I'll just have to be patient for now. Unfortunately I can't go into the office until I get back after the holidays as I live in Scotland and am home for easter.
Original post by green8
Haha yes the free food on the breaks is good even though it can get a bit repetitive. Its not a bad place to work tbh, it taught me a lot about how to take criticism - couldn't take it too personally with all those complaining customers.

I was wondering though whether the Chem Dept. Is lenient for people who don't do physics A level to take the molecular physics option?

I've seen people being able to do the maths and physics ancillary without physics or further maths and wonder if I can do it with biology A Level instead of physics?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending