The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What were your stats?
Reply 2
UKCAT - 730
A-levels in Maths, Chemistry and Biology - A*AA
Didn't do that BMAT because I thought it was too much to handle and I thought I did alright in UKCAT.
Plus I took a Gap yah!
(edited 6 years ago)
How PBL heavy is the course?What's the teaching like?Pros and cons of your medical school?
Original post by I'm a Fungi
I'm a first year medical student at Bart's and the London. Ask me anything about the uni, student life, exams and whatever...

Go ahead, fire away !!!!
What was your interview like(details please)?
What extra curriculars did u write on your personal statement?
Work experience?
What is your experience like in terms of accomodation or staying at home?
What is Bart's like in terms of fun?
What is the teaching like?
Are you close to entertainment places(e.g cinema)?
Reply 5
UKCAT - 730
A-levels in Maths, Chemistry and Biology - A*AA
Didn't do that BMAT because I thought it was too much to handle and I thought I did alright in UKCAT.
Plus I took a Gap yah!

What did you do in your gap year? also, why did you take a gap year?
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous1502
How PBL heavy is the course?What's the teaching like?Pros and cons of your medical school?

You start off with 1 two-hour PBL session a week in the first module which is FunMed (pretty ironic). Then it increases to 2 two-hour PBL sessions a week in the next 2 modules. I would say I kinda find these fun, at least if you like the group you are in it can be. But it can be difficult because you have to prepare for each day by researching on the scenario you went over in the previous PBL session.

Teaching wise, I actually like the mix of lectures, PBLs and Anatomy/Physiology sessions. Some days can be a bit full on, especially on Tuesdays when you have PBLs either in the morning or afternoon and 3 lectures. Monday's, there is usually as 9:00 lecture and then Anatomy/Physiology sessions. Other days are pretty chill.

Once every other Thursday you have a GP placement which I found quite interesting at times!
What is Ur schedule like?
What are the PBL sessions like-what do you actually do in them?What other med schools did you apply to?Is there anything you dislike about the course or Barts in general?

You start off with 1 two-hour PBL session a week in the first module which is FunMed (pretty ironic). Then it increases to 2 two-hour PBL sessions a week in the next 2 modules. I would say I kinda find these fun, at least if you like the group you are in it can be. But it can be difficult because you have to prepare for each day by researching on the scenario you went over in the previous PBL session.

Teaching wise, I actually like the mix of lectures, PBLs and Anatomy/Physiology sessions. Some days can be a bit full on, especially on Tuesdays when you have PBLs either in the morning or afternoon and 3 lectures. Monday's, there is usually as 9:00 lecture and then Anatomy/Physiology sessions. Other days are pretty chill.

Once every other Thursday you have a GP placement which I found quite interesting at times!
Reply 9
What were your GCSE grades... if you remember them lolz :tongue:

Pros and cons

Pros: - A range of teaching methods and not just lectures which makes it interesting and you actually get to know people that you probably would have never hoped you would speak to!
- PBLs can be fun and are a great way of learning if you have a nice tutor and group!
- A lot of student support available through students as well as staff. There is a Mummy and Daddy scheme set up for older years to help out Fresher's and this really does help ease your journey through first year, not saying it's easy, but it does help!

Cons:
- Student life is ok, but not great. The campus is seperated from the main Queen Mary campus, so it kinda feels isolated, but the Student Union at Bart's does have events and there are a load of societies to join. But yeah, it isn't a strong point. It's even more difficult if you're a commuter, like me!
- Holidays are ok, could be longer - 2 weeks for Christmas and Easter - could be longer! To be fair there is a long Summer holiday!
- OSCE's from first year! You start learning clinical skills from the 2nd module and you get tested at the end of the year through OSCE practical stations. These include things like heart sounds, blood pressure, abdominal examinations etc.
- There are 3 exams called In-course assessments - ICAs which are exams during the term which puts a lot of pressure on you, but you do learn a lot from it. But it can be a lot of stress revising for exams as well as trying to have fun. You have to be organised from the beginning and really can't fall behind, otherwise it can be difficult.

If I think of any more I'll add them
Original post by ultimateradman
What was your interview like(details please)?
What extra curriculars did u write on your personal statement?
Work experience?
What is your experience like in terms of accomodation or staying at home?
What is Bart's like in terms of fun?
What is the teaching like?
Are you close to entertainment places(e.g cinema)?

Interview was pretty decent actually. It's a panel interview, so there were two examiners and a medical student. I was pretty nervous in the beginning, although they were just questions about myself. My confidence grew throughout the interview and they asked me about an article they give you to read a few weeks before the interview and yeah it was fine. I preferred it much more than MMIs! Just remember to be yourself! I was told that so many times, and I only realised after that interview that I was being myself!

Work experience - Hospital and a GP and I did some volunteering. That's it!

I'm staying at home and commuting to Bart's. It can be difficult, especially if there is a 9:00 lecture or you have PBL in the morning, but social life is the most impacted if your commuting, so I would recommend you go for accommodation if you really want to experience life at Bart's! There are halls right next to the lecture theatre called Floyer Hall. You can literally wake up 5 minutes before the lecture starts and get there! Most lectures are recorded so it's pretty chill!

If you are really involved in societies and sports you can really enjoy yourself. Being a commuter it's been difficult for me to go to events and sports so I'm not the best person to ask. But students who live near the campus do tend to enjoy themselves!

Entertainment wise, I'm not the best person to ask. But from all I know, there's nothing too close, you will have to take the Tube usually to get around to the cinema etc. Westfield Stratford is a few stops away on the Tube. If you live at the Dawson Hall accommodation, there are lots of things to do as it's in the Barbican (although things can be pretty expensive!)
Original post by fauziaa
What did you do in your gap year? also, why did you take a gap year?

I worked for most of the time as a Healthcare Assistant at a hospital to save some money, which I ended up spending! That was till June. Then the rest of the time just went in a flash, I honestly can't remember what I did!

I took a gap year because I didn't get in anywhere the first time. I was so tempted to go into clearing and do something else, but I thought I've come so far, I might as well go for it and reapply to medicine, and I am never going to regret that decision!!!
I worked for most of the time as a Healthcare Assistant at a hospital to save some money, which I ended up spending! That was till June. Then the rest of the time just went in a flash, I honestly can't remember what I did!

I took a gap year because I didn't get in anywhere the first time. I was so tempted to go into clearing and do something else, but I thought I've come so far, I might as well go for it and reapply to medicine, and I am never going to regret that decision!!!

Oh wow! Was it difficult to get the job as a healthcare assistant?
It's not bad.
Mondays are usually 1 or 2 lectures in the morning and then Anatomy/Physiology in the afternoon.
Tuesday you have PBL and a few lectures.
Wednesday is a half day! You have two lectures on that day.
Thursday you have a GP placement once every other week and on the other week, you have an Anatomy/Physiology session
Friday you have PBL and a few lectures

It's honestly not that bad. You're usually done for the day by 5, but some days can be a lot shorter!
Original post by allie.moe
What were your GCSE grades... if you remember them lolz :tongue:

I actually didn't do as well as I'd hoped to do!!!
I got 4A*s, 5As and 1B

Some unis really don't care about GCSE's, at least when I applied, so I was actually not too worried about those!
I actually didn't do as well as I'd hoped to do!!!
I got 4A*s, 5As and 1B

Some unis really don't care about GCSE's, at least when I applied, so I was actually not too worried about those!

Please don't say that my GCSEs were way lower :frown: Im also going to take a gap year and then applying to medicine
Reply 17
I'm a first year medical student at Bart's and the London. Ask me anything about the uni, student life, exams and whatever...

Go ahead, fire away !!!!

Could you please give details on how your End of Year Exams which take place In May/June are structured? Are they a mix of MCQs/Short-Answers. Do you have Essay Questions. Give their relative weightings as well
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous1502
What are the PBL sessions like-what do you actually do in them?What other med schools did you apply to?Is there anything you dislike about the course or Barts in general?

You get given a scenario and you just discuss relevant topics to research around them. They are all related to lectures.

I applied to King's, Bristol and St George's and got interviews at Barts (duh), King's and St George's

I just wish it wasn't as isolated from the main Queen Mary campus as we just feel like a completely different university although we do have sessions there, it's mostly at Barts. So yeah, the student social life could be a lot better!
Original post by fauziaa
Oh wow! Was it difficult to get the job as a healthcare assistant?

It wasn't too bad because I started searching for jobs almost as soon as I got my results. But a few places didn't like that I was only working there for less than a year, and I honestly didn't even work that long! But I finally found a place and yeah, I learnt a lot from it!

Latest

Trending

Trending