The Student Room Group

OCR GEOGRAPHY AS LEVEL (New Spec 2016)

Anyone struggling with revision and the work.
My teachers can’t seem to teach us properly and I’m nervous that I won’t do well in exam/ being behind. Since both of them are not organised and they don’t understand the spec. As the whole class had to learn the course all by ourselves.

As well as little resources to help answer questions and revision material.

Just asking if anyone’s in the same position as me.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Omg me too there's literally no resources for OCR especially for human geography
Reply 2
Do you mind if I ask which topics are you doing?
We’re doing:
Coastal landscapes
Changing spaces; making places
Hazardous Earth
I'm doing glaciated landscapes, earth's life support systems, changing spaces making places, trade in the contemporary world, power and borders.
I'm not sure what we are doing for the geographical debates section but I think we are doing hazardous earth too. Are you only doing 3 topics?
Reply 4
We’re currently preparing for the AS exams and the specifications states that we have to choose one topic from each content - physical systems, human interactions and geographical debates. Next year in A2 we’re going to learn more content from each topic.

Are you doing the AS exam this year right?
Reply 5
Hi Guys,

I'm currently in the second year of the A level and I've been trying hard to get my head round the course so I might be able to share some of what I've learn so far.

OCR has been unfairly vague for the spec and the AS paper last summer left a lot of people complaining to the exam board so hopefully they'll be nicer this year.

I got an A in the AS exam so if anyone wants any guidance on exam questions// how to answer them// the bloody awful Independent Investigation// anything to do with the course really I can help

I'm studying:
- Coasts
- Earth Life Support System ( Compulsory A2 topic)
- Hazardous Earth
- Climate Change
- Changing Spaces; Making Places (Compulsory AS topic)
- Migration
- Power and Borders

- Lii :smile:
Reply 6
Congratulations on getting an A Lii!!
Thank you for your time and responding to this thread.

- I totally agree with you! OCR is really playing with us all. What specific things were asked in the exam last year which got everyone annoyed, if I may ask?

I would really love some help and advices on how you would structure your essay based questions which worth 12 or 14 and the 20 mark questions. My teachers haven’t been a great help so its worrying for us because we don’t know how to answer those specific questions.

- We even didn’t have a proper mock exam to practice which I honestly don’t know what my teacher is doing? Apparently she gave us an ‘A level exam paper from an old spec’ which really didn’t go too well so our class practically got PLAYED.

I’d also like to point out the timing in Paper 1 (Landscape and Place) as the amount of questions set are ridiculous. Especially the last question in Paper 2 (Geographical Debates).

- From the case studies in the book, do we also have to apply other case studies which weren’t included to answer in the exam? (As a class we just learnt the cases studies from the book)

:biggrin:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by mochi2000
Congratulations on getting an A Lii!!
Thank you for your time and responding to this thread.

- I totally agree with you! OCR is really playing with us all. What specific things were asked in the exam last year which got everyone annoyed, if I may ask?

I would really love some help and advices on how you would structure your essay based questions which worth 12 or 14 and the 20 mark questions. My teachers haven’t been a great help so its worrying for us because we don’t know how to answer those specific questions.

- We even didn’t have a proper mock exam to practice which I honestly don’t know what my teacher is doing? Apparently she gave us an ‘A level exam paper from an old spec’ which really didn’t go too well so our class practically got PLAYED.

I’d also like to point out the timing in Paper 1 (Landscape and Place) as the amount of questions set are ridiculous. Especially the last question in Paper 2 (Geographical Debates).

- From the case studies in the book, do we also have to apply other case studies which weren’t included to answer in the exam? (As a class we just learnt the cases studies from the book)

:biggrin:

Ok so I'll start with what got us pissed by the exam board; So in Changing Spaces; Making Places you learn about informal representations which is 2 pages of complete waffle in the OCR textbook. It's only one spec point but 10% of the marks I worked out on our AS paper were on questions to do with this like a 6 marker and an 8 marker in the synoptic bit.

Which I felt was awful considering it's such a small part and they tested us on it in both the AS papers ( It came up in the hazardous earth section as how do hazards affect informal representation of place? etc)

The other part was the investigational geography part which in the specimen AS paper used a coastal area or something for you to suggest an investigation on. In the actual AS they used a glaciated landscape of some hills and like one house in the photo. My argument is that in the coastal area figure there was clearly enough town in the figure for students to suggest a human geography investigation instead of a coastal one if they hadn't studied coasts but in the glaciated landscape the one house meant it felt like quite the stretch for linking it to any human geography at all.

- My teacher actually complained about this to the exam board and the exam boards excuse for the unfair overly glaciated landscape centred source was that it was a coastal one in the specimen paper. My teacher assumes that because they messed up so bad with the AS paper they will have to be much nice with both paper's this year.

Annnyway.... In terms of essay structure I think I can give you some pointers for how I practised answers.

Firstly for coasts, I recommend writing model answers for the formation of all the geographical landforms you've learnt about because that is what there is in the spec paper and it is what they gave us for one of our questions in the actual exam.

In our exam I believe it was on explain the formation of Geos or something - one of the less well known formations I think so my advice is look in the specimen paper below and work out the formula for things the examiner wants to answer the question such as how is the 5 physical factors of waves tides currents winds and geology involved and what do they want in terms of geomorphical processes of erosion weathering deposition transportation fluvial aeolian and mass movement. All things you can talk about so get it down to a formula and do it for each landform You can do that probably for some other questions as well so see what you think.

I know for CSMP at least we get it drilled into us about AO2 and the need to link it back to the question so you get marks for your knowledge and facts that you provide but you need to explain why that fact is important and why it explains the question so make sure when you try "explain" and "to what extent" questions to keep referring back to the questions after you provide some AO1 knowledge then explain the AO2 relevance.

(Ive tried to attach a copy of the exam boards explanation of AO1 and AO2)

Thirdly I think thats absolutely awful for your teacher to just give you old spec stuff cus thats so different and like unneccessary given that there's now a past paper AND a spec paper! Below I've attached a link to the specification and the papers you can see so you can have a proper go at it. (the mark schemes can be found at the end) If you're not sure how to mark it then I suggest handing it to your teacher with the mark scheme and being like I'm being proactive here thank you now show me how to mark.

Specification: www.ocr.org.uk/Images/223012-specification-accredited-a-level-gce-geography-h481.pdf

Landscapes and Human Geography Specimen Paper ( the mark scheme is at the bottom of the paper) : www.ocr.org.uk/Images/223034-unit-h081-01-landscape-and-place-sample-assessment-material.pdf

Landscapes and Human Geography Specimen Resource Booklet: www.ocr.org.uk/Images/223035-unit-h081-01-landscape-and-place-sample-resource-booklet.pdf

Hazards Spec Paper: www.ocr.org.uk/Images/223037-unit-h081-02-geographical-debates-sample-assessment-material.pdf

Resource Booklet: http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/223038-unit-h081-02-geographical-debates-sample-resource-booklet.pdf

So about the timing of the papers honestly, I feel you. I ran out of time in the exam completely and had only half written a pathetic answer to the 20 mark question. Which again I suggest you try and make sure to answer A01 and AO2 fully to get the max marks

I wouldn't be sure what to advice other than perhaps use the spec paper to inspire your own questions so you can get faster at writing it and spend less time trying to work out what the heck it is they're looking for and more time writing which is just as time consuming and difficult.

For the case studies: If you look in the specification there are essential case studies and then I presume your teacher is giving you extras in lessons. Yes I think to some extent they are useful too even if for example in coasts it's just an extra of being able to name a location where each landform is formed. In Changing Spaces Making Places I think other locations along side those in the text book are good for general AO1 points. I think place specific information is particularly useful for the rebranding strategies.

In Hazardous earth I think that volcano and earthquake case studies beyond what is required in the textbook and spec are almost essential to get through those 20 mark questions as no 2 volcanoes are the same and they each bring different points for the same question. - If you want some good volcanoes to have information on I can give you that too.

The other thing I'd like to add is that in the OCR textbook there is a section on deltas in the coast section. The textbook company were question on this I believe and they felt it was necessary to understand to use the Nile Delta case study - I personally do not and think you should just learn it as it is without the delta stuff so my advice is to ignore it if you want to take it.

Sorry this is ridiculously long I just like helping sorry if it's too much XD. Any other questions feel free to ask I can do more condensed if you want.

My parting note for this post will be this - don't take it out too much on your teachers, I know I do to a certain extent but honestly they're probably doing the best they can with so little. Unfortunately this does mean you will have to take the intitiative and try and get your head round the course fully yourself. Which I guess is the silver-lining as hopefully you'll know how to answer questions more easily when it comes to it!

:smile:
Original post by LiiHyde
Ok so I'll start with what got us pissed by the exam board; So in Changing Spaces; Making Places you learn about informal representations which is 2 pages of complete waffle in the OCR textbook. It's only one spec point but 10% of the marks I worked out on our AS paper were on questions to do with this like a 6 marker and an 8 marker in the synoptic bit.

Which I felt was awful considering it's such a small part and they tested us on it in both the AS papers ( It came up in the hazardous earth section as how do hazards affect informal representation of place? etc)

The other part was the investigational geography part which in the specimen AS paper used a coastal area or something for you to suggest an investigation on. In the actual AS they used a glaciated landscape of some hills and like one house in the photo. My argument is that in the coastal area figure there was clearly enough town in the figure for students to suggest a human geography investigation instead of a coastal one if they hadn't studied coasts but in the glaciated landscape the one house meant it felt like quite the stretch for linking it to any human geography at all.

- My teacher actually complained about this to the exam board and the exam boards excuse for the unfair overly glaciated landscape centred source was that it was a coastal one in the specimen paper. My teacher assumes that because they messed up so bad with the AS paper they will have to be much nice with both paper's this year.

Annnyway.... In terms of essay structure I think I can give you some pointers for how I practised answers.

Firstly for coasts, I recommend writing model answers for the formation of all the geographical landforms you've learnt about because that is what there is in the spec paper and it is what they gave us for one of our questions in the actual exam.

In our exam I believe it was on explain the formation of Geos or something - one of the less well known formations I think so my advice is look in the specimen paper below and work out the formula for things the examiner wants to answer the question such as how is the 5 physical factors of waves tides currents winds and geology involved and what do they want in terms of geomorphical processes of erosion weathering deposition transportation fluvial aeolian and mass movement. All things you can talk about so get it down to a formula and do it for each landform You can do that probably for some other questions as well so see what you think.

I know for CSMP at least we get it drilled into us about AO2 and the need to link it back to the question so you get marks for your knowledge and facts that you provide but you need to explain why that fact is important and why it explains the question so make sure when you try "explain" and "to what extent" questions to keep referring back to the questions after you provide some AO1 knowledge then explain the AO2 relevance.

(Ive tried to attach a copy of the exam boards explanation of AO1 and AO2)

Thirdly I think thats absolutely awful for your teacher to just give you old spec stuff cus thats so different and like unneccessary given that there's now a past paper AND a spec paper! Below I've attached a link to the specification and the papers you can see so you can have a proper go at it. (the mark schemes can be found at the end) If you're not sure how to mark it then I suggest handing it to your teacher with the mark scheme and being like I'm being proactive here thank you now show me how to mark.

Specification: www.ocr.org.uk/Images/223012-specification-accredited-a-level-gce-geography-h481.pdf

Landscapes and Human Geography Specimen Paper ( the mark scheme is at the bottom of the paper) : www.ocr.org.uk/Images/223034-unit-h081-01-landscape-and-place-sample-assessment-material.pdf

Landscapes and Human Geography Specimen Resource Booklet: www.ocr.org.uk/Images/223035-unit-h081-01-landscape-and-place-sample-resource-booklet.pdf

Hazards Spec Paper: www.ocr.org.uk/Images/223037-unit-h081-02-geographical-debates-sample-assessment-material.pdf

Resource Booklet: http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/223038-unit-h081-02-geographical-debates-sample-resource-booklet.pdf

So about the timing of the papers honestly, I feel you. I ran out of time in the exam completely and had only half written a pathetic answer to the 20 mark question. Which again I suggest you try and make sure to answer A01 and AO2 fully to get the max marks

I wouldn't be sure what to advice other than perhaps use the spec paper to inspire your own questions so you can get faster at writing it and spend less time trying to work out what the heck it is they're looking for and more time writing which is just as time consuming and difficult.

For the case studies: If you look in the specification there are essential case studies and then I presume your teacher is giving you extras in lessons. Yes I think to some extent they are useful too even if for example in coasts it's just an extra of being able to name a location where each landform is formed. In Changing Spaces Making Places I think other locations along side those in the text book are good for general AO1 points. I think place specific information is particularly useful for the rebranding strategies.

In Hazardous earth I think that volcano and earthquake case studies beyond what is required in the textbook and spec are almost essential to get through those 20 mark questions as no 2 volcanoes are the same and they each bring different points for the same question. - If you want some good volcanoes to have information on I can give you that too.

The other thing I'd like to add is that in the OCR textbook there is a section on deltas in the coast section. The textbook company were question on this I believe and they felt it was necessary to understand to use the Nile Delta case study - I personally do not and think you should just learn it as it is without the delta stuff so my advice is to ignore it if you want to take it.

Sorry this is ridiculously long I just like helping sorry if it's too much XD. Any other questions feel free to ask I can do more condensed if you want.

My parting note for this post will be this - don't take it out too much on your teachers, I know I do to a certain extent but honestly they're probably doing the best they can with so little. Unfortunately this does mean you will have to take the intitiative and try and get your head round the course fully yourself. Which I guess is the silver-lining as hopefully you'll know how to answer questions more easily when it comes to it!

:smile:

Your advice is amazing!! I'm in second year as well but we sat internal exams at the end of year 12 and the papers were not very realistic. The mock we had a couple of months ago was literally the specimen paper.... I noticed that on the OCR website, under the A Level tab for Geography, there is a locked link to 'geography practice papers' under the heading practice papers and mark schemes. Have you been given these to practice at all? Or does anyone know where to get the answers for the practice questions at the end of each chapter in the OCR textbook?
hiya guys,
I'm preparing to sit ocr geog in the summer and the Changing Places module is by far the worst one...
I'm doing:
coasts, Earths life suport systems,
changing places, migration, human rights
climate change and oceans.

I'm dreading the second paper, the questions are too vague and the changing places module is just horrendous. If anyone has a good way to revise that module let me know because i've tried everything
Original post by coolest16
Your advice is amazing!! I'm in second year as well but we sat internal exams at the end of year 12 and the papers were not very realistic. The mock we had a couple of months ago was literally the specimen paper.... I noticed that on the OCR website, under the A Level tab for Geography, there is a locked link to 'geography practice papers' under the heading practice papers and mark schemes. Have you been given these to practice at all? Or does anyone know where to get the answers for the practice questions at the end of each chapter in the OCR textbook?

Hi!
Thanks lol I went a bit OTT cus I've spent so much time myself trying to get my head round it that I might as well try and share it XD

Sadly under the locked section is apparently just the AS paper we did last year so I imagine the reason the teachers aren't using it is because A2 is going to be different to AS e.g. questions with more marks to them/ more challenging supposedly.

I personally feel that it wouldn't hurt to atleast discuss them in class as your teacher should have access to those papers (at least mine do) I know we used the synoptic question examples from the AS debates paper to help think up potential ones for the exam in the summer so there's definitely reason to use them if your teacher has the time in lessons to.

I don't think there are actually any answers to the questions in the textbook (which is rubbish) so maybe you should get your teacher to go through them with you on what marking points they think you should discuss in each of them.

Presuming like my class that you've finished the course content now I know my teachers are being much more flexible to tailor the lessons as revision sessions to what we'd like to do. So if your teachers are open to suggestions then I would try and get a group discussion going in the class and brainstorm questions and how to answer the questions. - Teachers should be good for this as they've mastered exam technique usually.

lii xx
Hi, I’m not doing ocr but I’m in year 12 doing changing places, coastal environments, and tectonic hazards
Original post by 2012shadow
hiya guys,
I'm preparing to sit ocr geog in the summer and the Changing Places module is by far the worst one...
I'm doing:
coasts, Earths life suport systems,
changing places, migration, human rights
climate change and oceans.

I'm dreading the second paper, the questions are too vague and the changing places module is just horrendous. If anyone has a good way to revise that module let me know because i've tried everything

You might have tried this but like when you use the textbook there are lots of different things you can break down to learn. I imagine in the exam a lot of marks will come from just discussing these things and explaining how they work and then also answering the question.

Place Profiles

Learn the 6 place profiles:
1.Political
2.Cultural
3.Socio-economic
4.Demographic
5. Natural environment
6. Physical environment

In an exam you might be asked to explain one of these or look at a source and explain the place profile using those 6 factors.

For the case study that goes with this I'll give you the link to my quizlet of number facts for it (which also includes the other case studies and general facts) I think I've gone and starred the number ones which means you can play the gravity game which is fantastic for drilling in the numbers you might want to quote in a question

https://quizlet.com/_3568k6 If it doesn't let you access it without permission request for it and i'll accept your request to use it on quizlet.

Perception
Again similar in some ways to the place profiles there are 6 factors they want you to learn for perception which in a question you can discuss all of or the ones you feel are most important or in a figure explain what factors of perception might affect how a person perceives a certain location e.g. a wall of graffiti or play park or a church

1. Age
2. Gender
3. Sexuality
4. Religion
5. Role in Society
6. Emotional Attachment to a place

Another part is the impact on globalisation and how the time-space compression is influencing how people percieve a place so in a question you can mention that too.

Representation of Place
Try and list as many examples of formal and informal representations of place and if you're not doing the past paper for AS from last year see if your teacher can get up the mark scheme from both the papers as there were 2 questions i think about 8 marks each on informal representation - one was synoptic one was a source in changing spaces as I myself find representation difficult to understand how to apply in a question so my advice is to use that past paper (which only teachers have access to) to work out what it is from representation you might be asked questions on.

Social Inequality
Can be measured using the indices of
1. Housing
2. Employment
3. Access to Services
4. Education
5. Income (linked to employment really)

Which again learn and discuss those factors in questions
I'd reccomend learning the definitions of
Spatial Inequality
Quality of Life
Standard of Living

As well as the 7 factors involved in Deprivation and discussing the cycle of deprivation
(1. housing
2. employment
3. access to services
4. crime rates
5. environmental quality
6. education
7. income

Ik know this might all seem a bit daunting but in the questions you'll be asked such as this one I've taken straight of the spec paper

"Explain the types of evidence that could be used to show social inequality. [4] "

That's 1 mark for explaining breifly about how to measure housing (quality or % rented / owned) , education (e.g. % of 16+ with a levels), access to services (doctors per person) and employment/income (household income). Which you'll know if you've revised the things I've just mentioned.

I'm not going to go on cus whilst there's still a lot there you'll find there are similar lists of factors to talk about in terms of
- Players
- Rebranding
- Placemaking processes

Another thing you can do is use random photos from places and analyse what is in them in a geographical sense such as a photo of the olympic park and label it with how it's been rebranded, if you can see litter/graffiti, perhaps that it's a brown field site etc.

again long winded but I hope this helps
Lii xx
When I picked my subjects - Biology, Chemistry and Geography, I didn't think for a second that Geography would be the hardest one. Yes, the sciences are hard, however, there are actually good resources which enable me to learn/revise it effectively. Geography, on the other hand, is just wishy-washy BS and I just can't seem to get good marks, God I hate "Changing Spaces Making Places" -_- I sent OCR a complaint email and got an official response :biggrin: PM me if you'd like to read what they said.
Original post by joelcarter
When I picked my subjects - Biology, Chemistry and Geography, I didn't think for a second that Geography would be the hardest one. Yes, the sciences are hard, however, there are actually good resources which enable me to learn/revise it effectively. Geography, on the other hand, is just wishy-washy BS and I just can't seem to get good marks, God I hate "Changing Spaces Making Places" -_- I sent OCR a complaint email and got an official response :biggrin: PM me if you'd like to read what they said.

I am very curious I shall be pming...
Reply 15
In Changing Spaces for rebranding, do you need to know both the Birmingham and Barcelona case study, or do you need to know only one of the case studies?
Reply 16
Also, if anyone has any practice exam questions (short and long) for glaciated landscapes, global migration, changing spaces; making places, disease dilemmas, human rights and earth life support systems, can you post them on here, please.

I am really struggling with synoptic questions, does anyone have example questions.
Original post by Heidi H
In Changing Spaces for rebranding, do you need to know both the Birmingham and Barcelona case study, or do you need to know only one of the case studies?

The textbook's Birmingham case study is for structural economic change, whilst the Barcelona one is for rebranding. You need to know both.
Reply 18
I know there are limited past papers available as this is the first year of the new spec, but what papers are available for practice questions? I know there is a sample assessment paper for human interactions, physical systems and geographical debates, but is that all we have? As a friend at another school has 2 sets of questions for each topic, but there is only one set available on the website. Have any of your teachers given you other assessment resources?
Original post by 88ss456
I know there are limited past papers available as this is the first year of the new spec, but what papers are available for practice questions? I know there is a sample assessment paper for human interactions, physical systems and geographical debates, but is that all we have? As a friend at another school has 2 sets of questions for each topic, but there is only one set available on the website. Have any of your teachers given you other assessment resources?

My teachers are making up their own questions now so if you want any examples I have 5 made up questions for he [33] markers in climate change and hazardous earth and 2 [12] markers for migration if anyone wants them pm me xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending