The Student Room Group

Advice for GCSE students from AS student :)

Hi,

I'm currently an AS student studying biology, chemistry and Theology (Religious Studies) and I was wondering if anyone want any tips on GCSE'S, or on sixth form in general. I achieved 5 A*s and 6 As last year so hopefully I can give you some helpful advice!
Original post by FailingBadly
Hi,

I'm currently an AS student studying biology, chemistry and Theology (Religious Studies) and I was wondering if anyone want any tips on GCSE'S, or on sixth form in general. I achieved 5 A*s and 6 As last year so hopefully I can give you some helpful advice!

How do you revise for RE?
I know the content for chemistry and biology but when I do papers I do badly (for me) I’m predicted grade 9s and was getting an A (I was doing some old A*-G papers)!!! How do you get more familiar with the questions and mark scheme? I know the only thing to do is practise but there are only so many papers I can do.....?
If you're taking AQA like me this year, I could suggest practice the 12 mark questions and by this stage of the year you should be just checking up on your knowledge. As we are doing the first new GCSE exams for RE, there are limited resources but as seen throughout the specimen papers there is a pattern throughout: like in the style of the questions.
Original post by lydiarutharnold

Hiya,

I actually did my RE GCSE in year 10 and it was the old GCSE so bear with me. RE was coincidentally also the first GCSE exam I ever took so I excessively revised and obsessed over it lol. But, I'd say my best advice for any essay based subject is know the structure of the exam, the mark scheme and plan! If you know the structure of the exam back to front and know what they are looking for you're pretty much guaranteed marks in my opinion (knowing the amount of time to allow for each question is also important).

In regards to planning, after choosing the question you're going to do, write little bullet points of what you're going to talk about in each question and always have a religious reference/quote to back it up (assuming you're doing the higher mark questions).

I'm not sure if they still do key word meaning questions in the new GCSE but I wrote revision cards for each key word and wrote the key word on the front with the definition on the back. However, if you're quite good at remembering things a certain word to associate the key word with the definition will help you remember.

I hope my advice helped, I'm sorry I can't remember what I did more specifically I do recall making mind maps for each topic aswell but only use revision techniques you know work for you and adapt them to fit others advice :smile:
Original post by profytofficial
If you're taking AQA like me this year, I could suggest practice the 12 mark questions and by this stage of the year you should be just checking up on your knowledge. As we are doing the first new GCSE exams for RE, there are limited resources but as seen throughout the specimen papers there is a pattern throughout: like in the style of the questions.

true, thank you, i know the structure of the questions is: 1,2,4,5,12 so that’s a start :smile: my school have given us exam plans for 4/5/12 markers so i will try and use those. thank you and good luck
Original post by FailingBadly
Hiya,

I actually did my RE GCSE in year 10 and it was the old GCSE so bear with me. RE was coincidentally also the first GCSE exam I ever took so I excessively revised and obsessed over it lol. But, I'd say my best advice for any essay based subject is know the structure of the exam, the mark scheme and plan! If you know the structure of the exam back to front and know what they are looking for you're pretty much guaranteed marks in my opinion (knowing the amount of time to allow for each question is also important).

In regards to planning, after choosing the question you're going to do, write little bullet points of what you're going to talk about in each question and always have a religious reference/quote to back it up (assuming you're doing the higher mark questions).

I'm not sure if they still do key word meaning questions in the new GCSE but I wrote revision cards for each key word and wrote the key word on the front with the definition on the back. However, if you're quite good at remembering things a certain word to associate the key word with the definition will help you remember.

I hope my advice helped, I'm sorry I can't remember what I did more specifically I do recall making mind maps for each topic aswell but only use revision techniques you know work for you and adapt them to fit others advice :smile:

Thank you, some aspects have changed in the new exams as they’re 1 mark multiple choice, 2 mark naming, 4 mark contrasting views and 5 mark contrasting views with quotes. As always the 12 marker is there tho 🙄 thank you for your advice, it will really help :smile:
What A-Levels are you thinking of doing?

true, thank you, i know the structure of the questions is: 1,2,4,5,12 so that’s a start :smile: my school have given us exam plans for 4/5/12 markers so i will try and use those. thank you and good luck
What A-Levels are you thinking of doing?

Maths, further maths, politics and sociology

You?
(edited 6 years ago)
Cool ;-) Im doing...
Biology, Physics and Chemistry and maths
Maths, further maths, politics and sociology

You?
Cool ;-) Im doing...
Biology, Physics and Chemistry and maths

Best of luck in your exams, I need a GCSE average of 7 to do all four :smile:
You too...
Best of luck in your exams, I need a GCSE average of 7 to do all four :smile:
Can I still get good grades if I haven't really done that much revision up till now if I start working hard now?
How do you get the motivation to revise?
When Is the best time to start revising? I'm in year 10 and struggle on maths, english and science.
Original post by hugebrain
Can I still get good grades if I haven't really done that much revision up till now if I start working hard now?

Definitely! It doesn't matter how much revision you do if it isn't the right kind of revision. If you have been consistently revising for each class assessment/mock, you will find it easier when it comes to doing your 'proper' revision for your exams. The best advice I can give you is to look through the spec and make a list of things you need to work on the most because during this time its good to prioritise and learn it now rather than the summer when you don't have much time. After learning each part of the spec do practice questions to consolidate your knowledge (especially maths) this will help you remember what you have learnt. Make sure you also know all the content that HAS to be memorised e.g. equations etc. because quick recall during the exam not only helps you answer the question but also gives you the confidence you need to answer the question to the best of your ability

I hope some of this advice helped and good luck on your exams you're gonna smash it :smile:
Original post by AnimalJamRocks
How do you get the motivation to revise?
When Is the best time to start revising? I'm in year 10 and struggle on maths, english and science.

I've always had trouble with motivation when it comes to revision but you just need to be more strict with yourself when it comes to work you HAVE to do, the best way to approach revision is to have a plan ( or checklist) either in your head or written out of what you're going to do because this gives you something to feel accomplished about when you've actually done your revision and its also motivating to know how close you are to finishing. Also, remove any distractions from the room you're revising in by turning your phone off and putting it out of site & making sure you're in a quiet place

However, I wouldn't say that you have to start revising for your GCSE's now because realistically any work you do right now you probably wont remember when it comes to doing your exams next year - that doesn't mean that you shouldn't revise at all. Literally, my best advice I can give you is to revise properly for each test/mock you are given because it's going to help so much when it comes to your exams. Doing this helps you remember the content so when you come to revise next year you'll just need to look over it rather than learn the content. If you want to do revision now, practising exam techniques now is always a really good way of getting your foot in the door for next year. I hope this helped :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest