The Student Room Group

Poetry Power and Conflict

how to revision poems?
To revise poetry, you must fully get the poem into your head in the months before the exam. I do not know your exam board or year but if unseen poetry or closed book poetry is your game, read the poems every morning and night.
If you simply want to learn the analysis of the poems, I would advise taking an exercise book and splitting the poem into 3 sections across 3 pages, i.e. 1. Form and Structure 2. Imagery and 3. Diction. Then add a page for context (if you require context).
Colour code all of it, highlight key methods, quotes and points and when you read it make sure you're trying to absorb it.
You could make tests on each page, e.g. 10 key methods for poem no. 3 etc.
The more you test your knowledge the more it stays in your head. Although, poetry is the easiest English exam for me as I do this throughout the year so I can write essays easily, eventually the quotes stick in your head!
I think for the rest of my life i'll always remember "and then it was - there interposed a fly" and "blue - uncertain -stumbling buzz" from "I heard a Fly Buzz - when I died" by Emily Dickinson.

Best of luck!
How*

revise*
take key quotes from each poem and put them on flashcards. learn these and make sure there's some analysis on the other side eg. lang features.
structural features, context, form of the poem you can also put on flashcards.
and make sure you make some poetry comparison essay plans so you know the gist of how to compare them,
Original post by ccrilly624
To revise poetry, you must fully get the poem into your head in the months before the exam. I do not know your exam board or year but if unseen poetry or closed book poetry is your game, read the poems every morning and night.
If you simply want to learn the analysis of the poems, I would advise taking an exercise book and splitting the poem into 3 sections across 3 pages, i.e. 1. Form and Structure 2. Imagery and 3. Diction. Then add a page for context (if you require context).
Colour code all of it, highlight key methods, quotes and points and when you read it make sure you're trying to absorb it.
You could make tests on each page, e.g. 10 key methods for poem no. 3 etc.
The more you test your knowledge the more it stays in your head. Although, poetry is the easiest English exam for me as I do this throughout the year so I can write essays easily, eventually the quotes stick in your head!
I think for the rest of my life i'll always remember "and then it was - there interposed a fly" and "blue - uncertain -stumbling buzz" from "I heard a Fly Buzz - when I died" by Emily Dickinson.

Best of luck!

lol oops?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending