The Student Room Group

Tissues-Fragility, Poem to compare it to

In the power and conflict poetry cluster, in case I am asked to compare the theme of fragility in Tissues to some other poem, what should I compare it to?
well in terms of the poem tissue, you can look at it from two angles: power and conflict. conflict looks more towards how when humans segregate and divide nature (eg "Maps too.") it causes war between others. the references to religion are talking about the religious conflicts, such as the 9/11 attack. the poem tissue itself is part of a poem book called "the terrorist at my table" so you can use that as context to back u up. if you look at the poem through the conflict angle, definitely compare it to emigree and checking out me history, because thee 3 poems are all about identity and the conflict that comes with it.

i assume that since youve mentioned fragility, you want to look at the poem through the power angle. i suggest you compare it to ozymandias and also emigree and checking out me history. because the poem tissue firstly explores paper as a metaphor for human power. she explores the strengths of paper (and human power) it holds so much infiormation it can control ur life like a kite, it creates religions, it commodifies and tries to control nature and what not. but then the poet exposes papers fragility by showing how temporary it is (the bit where the building made of paper falls away on a sigh) and how nature will always overpower humanity (daylight and light is shining through the monoliths and also the wind pushing the building).

i hope this helps, check out mr bruff and everything english
Reply 2
Original post by halaelabd29
well in terms of the poem tissue, you can look at it from two angles: power and conflict. conflict looks more towards how when humans segregate and divide nature (eg "Maps too.") it causes war between others. the references to religion are talking about the religious conflicts, such as the 9/11 attack. the poem tissue itself is part of a poem book called "the terrorist at my table" so you can use that as context to back u up. if you look at the poem through the conflict angle, definitely compare it to emigree and checking out me history, because thee 3 poems are all about identity and the conflict that comes with it.

i assume that since youve mentioned fragility, you want to look at the poem through the power angle. i suggest you compare it to ozymandias and also emigree and checking out me history. because the poem tissue firstly explores paper as a metaphor for human power. she explores the strengths of paper (and human power) it holds so much infiormation it can control ur life like a kite, it creates religions, it commodifies and tries to control nature and what not. but then the poet exposes papers fragility by showing how temporary it is (the bit where the building made of paper falls away on a sigh) and how nature will always overpower humanity (daylight and light is shining through the monoliths and also the wind pushing the building).

i hope this helps, check out mr bruff and everything english

right ok cool thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending