The Student Room Group

English Literature

Does anyone have any advice on how to revise the poems?
Mind maps
Original post by Carlajoint
Mind maps

Reply 3
Literally just going through each one and writing notes about different quotes / techniques /ideas helps quotes stick in your memory. You could listen to them on youtube or spotify. I'm learning 4 of the easier ones like London, but you don't have to. As long as you know like 6 poems in detail that cover all the themes, and perhaps 3 quotes from the others to cover yourself. Learn 2 or 3 bits of context for every poem, know who the poets are and when they wrote (I'm pretty sure time counts as context, though I'm not sure). Shmoop and Genius are quite good for analysis. I'm doing eduqas, so perhaps some of that is irrelevent. I was really worried too, but I've realised I actually know them a lot better than I thought after just reading them and thinking about them.
:smile:
Original post by 13harryl
Literally just going through each one and writing notes about different quotes / techniques /ideas helps quotes stick in your memory. You could listen to them on youtube or spotify. I'm learning 4 of the easier ones like London, but you don't have to. As long as you know like 6 poems in detail that cover all the themes, and perhaps 3 quotes from the others to cover yourself. Learn 2 or 3 bits of context for every poem, know who the poets are and when they wrote (I'm pretty sure time counts as context, though I'm not sure). Shmoop and Genius are quite good for analysis. I'm doing eduqas, so perhaps some of that is irrelevent. I was really worried too, but I've realised I actually know them a lot better than I thought after just reading them and thinking about them.
:smile:

Thanks! this helps me out so much, i was feeling a little stuck.
Reply 5
Have you tried using Seneca Learning? https://senecalearning.com/ Has helped me a lot . If it covers your poems I'd definitely recommend it! Helps you understand and remember, giving great analysis and key quotes
Reply 6
Revise poems by theme:
For example, I do AQA Love and Relationships so I would split them into themes like:
Parent/Child relationships
Desire
Conflict
Distance
Romantic
Original post by mathschemistry
Does anyone have any advice on how to revise the poems?

I used mindmaps
using the raps and songs from youtube helped me alot. I have used them to revise about 4 poems by heart
Original post by MimiElf
Have you tried using Seneca Learning? https://senecalearning.com/ Has helped me a lot . If it covers your poems I'd definitely recommend it! Helps you understand and remember, giving great analysis and key quotes

I've just started to use it, it was an excellent suggestion. Do you think I should supplement it with other methods?
You're very welcome :smile: Seneca is also brilliant as someone else mentioned.

Quick Reply

Latest