The Student Room Group

Y9 end of year exams and Y10 sets

I've received two of my science end of year exam results and just have physics left. I got biology and was really upset with my score, I got 36/48 which is 75% and only scrapes a 7. Most people in my set got about my score and some higher so I didn't really stand out and generally in biology I tend to get 8s. Next year the sets are going to be even more prestigious; one top set instead of two and I desperately want to take triple science. After that we found out our chemistry results and the teacher said I got the highest in the year so I feel more relieved that this makes up. I got 91% and was one mark off a level 9. Most people in other sets found this test difficult but I'm still unsure about my place. We haven't got physics results back and I really really want to be in top set but I found physics the most difficult out of all three. We find out after half term which is annoying but I've gotten 90% in the first physics test we had even though it wasn't end of year. I'm just so annoyed at the amount of silly mistakes I made on biology and am so stressed about getting into top set in year 10. I really don't know how I'd feel if I didn't make it😅 and I don't know how to stop stressing😅.
Honestly sets really don't matter. You're all taking the same exam at the end of the day.
plssssssssss dont stress, you have so long left- honestly, i should be the one stressing as im literally in the middle of exams. Let me assure you, you're 100% going to be in set 1 with those grades, dont worry
Like the examiner's going to know (or care) what set you're in...
lmao people in like sets 4 choose to take science in my school, and in set 1 etc.
Reply 5
Original post by sxhxl
plssssssssss dont stress, you have so long left- honestly, i should be the one stressing as im literally in the middle of exams. Let me assure you, you're 100% going to be in set 1 with those grades, dont worry

Thx so much, I'll try not to worry👌 and hope you do well in your exams🤗
I honestly wouldn't worry what set you're put into as it makes no difference. Being in a high set doesn't automatically guarantee you'll be entered for higher tier or whatever, and working hard in a lower set will just make you move up anyway.

But seriously, the examiners don't know what set you're in...they wouldn't care if they did. Don't waste time worrying over something so trivial.
(edited 5 years ago)
I was always getting 7s in Maths set 1 one. I got moved down to set 2. Started getting 8s and 9s. The top set isn't the best for everyone :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by cafebee
Honestly sets really don't matter. You're all taking the same exam at the end of the day.

Thx this helped me think of it much clearer👌
My friends are in set 2 and I am in set 1.

They get similar grades to me.

We are all taking triple (we don't have to we chose to).

What options are you doing?
Original post by Goldfish4343
I was always getting 7s in Maths set 1 one. I got moved down to set 2. Started getting 8s and 9s. The top set isn't the best for everyone :smile:

Exactly.

My friend prefers being in set 2 maths to set 1 as set 2 go through things slightly slower, whereas we go through things too quickly :P
Original post by Bill Nye
Exactly.

My friend prefers being in set 2 maths to set 1 as set 2 go through things slightly slower, whereas we go through things too quickly :P

And I was more likely going to ask for help with a class full of people who likely also don't understand something than in front of a class where only a few don't understand it.
Trust me in a year or two sets will mean ****

Quick Reply

Latest