The Student Room Group

I'm gonna fail Latin A Level :( Need help and advice

Hi,

I'm really stressing as this year I've been quite laid-back with work especially in Latin but now with the exam about a week or so away, I realise how likely it is I'm gonna fail it and I really need an A.

I'm doing Virgil and Cicero for set texts and don't know them that well so how am I meant to learn them this week? I'd be willing to put lots of time in but it just seems like way too much in the time left.

Language wise I'm alright but my vocabulary is pretty poor so where would you start with vocab as there's no set list? I've tried learning John Taylor's 250 words for unseens but where else would you start?

I'm really panicking now and I feel kinda sick about it, can anyone give any advice?

Scroll to see replies

The wisest thing to do in this case would be to read in translation with the Latin text on the side every work you’ve got to know, and then read them once a day in translation till the exam day. You’ll know them so well that you will be able to fill every vocab gap in your paper
I feel you, I'm terrible at latin

for vocab we used this as level vocab list : https://www.memrise.com/course/792197/as-latin-vocab/
and this 250 ovid list : https://www.memrise.com/course/634199/ovid-unseens-vocabulary/

There is another ovid list and another livvy word list but that is enough to be getting on with! would recommend going through your old translation and seeing common vocabulary items you got wrong to learn - keep it minimal

I do cicero and virgil too. What do you do for verse? i do seneca and love poetry
I find it all hard, bu the prose particularly

Latin is a struggle but we are in this together, and at the end of the day there is always resits next year x
Hi I’m not sure how active this thread is and leaving it very last minute, but, doing Cicero’s pro milone and a selection of elegiac poetry and struggling on how to learn them as there’s so much and whenever I look over it, I seem to have forgotten it!

Also the language paper is on Tuesday and really struggle with it, would appreciate any advice!!
Original post by Arisapo
Hi,

I'm really stressing as this year I've been quite laid-back with work especially in Latin but now with the exam about a week or so away, I realise how likely it is I'm gonna fail it and I really need an A.

I'm doing Virgil and Cicero for set texts and don't know them that well so how am I meant to learn them this week? I'd be willing to put lots of time in but it just seems like way too much in the time left.

Language wise I'm alright but my vocabulary is pretty poor so where would you start with vocab as there's no set list? I've tried learning John Taylor's 250 words for unseens but where else would you start?

I'm really panicking now and I feel kinda sick about it, can anyone give any advice?

Hahhaa I can so relate, I only started learning the literature about a week ago and now reality is kicking in...... I really need an A too and atm not sure how likely it is. How are you feeling about language? I’m struggling
Original post by Poliorketes
The wisest thing to do in this case would be to read in translation with the Latin text on the side every work you’ve got to know, and then read them once a day in translation till the exam day. You’ll know them so well that you will be able to fill every vocab gap in your paper

****ing read the ****ing works in translation every day so as to know them by heart
Reply 6
I don't see what exactly the Latin literature is testing other than how well you can memorise a load of sentences and repeat them in English.
Reply 7
Original post by iodo345
I don't see what exactly the Latin literature is testing other than how well you can memorise a load of sentences and repeat them in English.

Yeah it's that easy really but I didn't learn it consistently so don't know it well and there's way too much to learn now
Original post by Elliehancox9
Hi I’m not sure how active this thread is and leaving it very last minute, but, doing Cicero’s pro milone and a selection of elegiac poetry and struggling on how to learn them as there’s so much and whenever I look over it, I seem to have forgotten it!

Also the language paper is on Tuesday and really struggle with it, would appreciate any advice!!

Hi, I think I'm doing the exact same as you, are you struggling with language or literature, Cicero or elegy? I'm happy to help if you need.
if you can, gojimo (either the app or searching it online) has latin on it (in the GCSE section but dw about that) and its the vocabulary from A to Z. I used it at GCSE and bc its a MCQ app you learn the vocab really quickly, trust me. Would be very good for your vocab aspect of the exam
Original post by 13loodound
Hi, I think I'm doing the exact same as you, are you struggling with language or literature, Cicero or elegy? I'm happy to help if you need.

Hi I would appreciate anything tbh for last minute revsion! How are you revising? Are you able to send me any of your notes?xx
Original post by Elliehancox9
Hi I would appreciate anything tbh for last minute revsion! How are you revising? Are you able to send me any of your notes?xx

Hi, Im just going through vocab atm for language on tuesday heres the link for the quizlet I use:
https://quizlet.com/class/3214621/
And I've learnt most pretty much all the literature so far just a bit rusty on a couple of the cicero sections. i have all the translations if you need any of them. Hope this helps! How are you revising?
How did we all find the language paper?
Rubbish wbu?
Pls can someone else say they found that hard 😔😯😯
Reply 15
Really hard, I think that's a definite E 😂 Nothing really made sense in my text, although think the scansion was okay.
Must be a lower grade boundaries this year that was way harder than any others????
Reply 17
Original post by Louisgggggv
Must be a lower grade boundaries this year that was way harder than any others????

It was a really hard paper, I've accepted just resiting In Latin I think, this year it's just been way too hard. My Livy made no sense and neither did my Ovid :frown:
I found it so horrible!! So relieved it wasn’t just me.....my verse translation made no sense and I ran out of time to go over it. So overall a disaster.
Eyyy I think I win- I did the scansion as eligiacs- E for me too I think

Quick Reply

Latest