The Student Room Group

What A-Levels should I pick?

I'm 99% sure I want to get into a future in medicine, I'm planning to take Biology and Chemistry for A-level but I have no clue what to pick for my 3rd. I really don't like Maths but if it's good to have I guess I'll pick it? I'm wondering if it would be bad to take a more creative subject like Art & Design, I'm not particularly ambitious about getting into the best of the best Uni's but I wouldn't like to go to a smaller crappy local one if you get what I mean.
Reply 1
Original post by charissss
I'm 99% sure I want to get into a future in medicine, I'm planning to take Biology and Chemistry for A-level but I have no clue what to pick for my 3rd. I really don't like Maths but if it's good to have I guess I'll pick it? I'm wondering if it would be bad to take a more creative subject like Art & Design, I'm not particularly ambitious about getting into the best of the best Uni's but I wouldn't like to go to a smaller crappy local one if you get what I mean.
I do bio,chem and history and honestly for medicine from what i know speaking to people that are in med school currently, as long as you have chem and another science or maths, it doesn't really matter too much what your 3rd subject is. But i'd get why people suggest doing maths because in chem especially there's lots of it.
Reply 2
Original post by rxnia
I do bio,chem and history and honestly for medicine from what i know speaking to people that are in med school currently, as long as you have chem and another science or maths, it doesn't really matter too much what your 3rd subject is. But i'd get why people suggest doing maths because in chem especially there's lots of it.
I do higher maths and think I have a pretty good understanding of it, not to be cocky but like, will I be good enough at maths at that point to not have to take it or do you think I'd struggle? I'd take maths if it would help more but honestly im not that interested in chemistry, only taking it for a career in medicine, and id much rather do something i enjoy more but do you think the maths is hard in chem?
Reply 3
I do higher maths and think I have a pretty good understanding of it, not to be cocky but like, will I be good enough at maths at that point to not have to take it or do you think I'd struggle? I'd take maths if it would help more but honestly im not that interested in chemistry, only taking it for a career in medicine, and id much rather do something i enjoy more but do you think the maths is hard in chem?
i did higher maths as well and tbh i think you'll be fine. There hasn't been anything too hard so far but there's a lot of rearranging equations and converting units. I think taking maths at a level would help with chem a bit but it's not gonna give you a massive advantage. I'd say if you don't like maths then don't take it (that's the case with me lol) but if you're good at it and enjoy it then why not.
Reply 4
id say if you dont like maths then you dont have to take it, most planning on going to top unis would have bio,chem,maths but as long as you have chemistry and another science youll be fine. a few of my friends do bio, chem and something like economics/art so im sure youll be fine
I’m currently doing maths for a level (even though I disliked it at gcses) and I applied for medicine. I disliked maths at gcses and hated it in year 12 but surprisingly, I actually enjoy it quite a bit now in year 13. Most of the time it doesn’t really matter what your 3rd a level is (as long as you check your university requirements) so I recommend you choose a subject you enjoy! Maths did help me with bio and chem and is a huge jump from gcses, but as long as you keep working hard you’ll do great.
I do bio chem and latin (yr 13 now) and I could apply to every uni except cambridge for med (they basically want bio chem +science/maths). You really don't need maths for bio and chem- there's one or two topics where logs come up but you can definitely still understand them without maths a-level. Most of the maths is GCSE standard but the wording/theory just gets a bit tricker.
Chem is the worst of my 3 subjects but the maths isn't really the hard bit. If you find GCSE fine and do higher maths, your maths is absolutely good enough to do chem!
I chose not to do maths bc I think I would have really struggled and not enjoyed it at all, but I loved latin and knew I could get the grades I needed (plus having a non-stem subject makes your timetable a bit more interesting!) and I knew that I was going to have to focus more on chem. Do maths if you want to, but uni's really don't care what you do as your third subject. Med applications are hard and it's in your best interest to make A levels easier for yourself so u can focus on the rest of your application.

oh also someone else in my year is applying for med and does bio chem art so you can definitely do it! just double check course requirements before you apply to unis in case it's changed.

Quick Reply

Latest