The Student Room Group

Who all does GCSE music?

I'm doing my 5th year GCSE exams and my music exams are on Wednesday. What does everyone think of the subject/does anyone have any experience of it at A level?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MSB02
I'm doing my 5th year GCSE exams and my music exams are on Wednesday. What does everyone think of the subject/does anyone have any experience of it at A level?

I do it:thumbsup: I like the practical element and learning about the set works but I don’t really lie the rest:yawn:, not planning on doing it next year:colondollar:
What do you think of it?
Reply 2
Original post by Toastiekid
I do it:thumbsup: I like the practical element and learning about the set works but I don’t really lie the rest:yawn:, not planning on doing it next year:colondollar:
What do you think of it?

I like playing things but I've been playing the same grade 5 piano piece for two years now. learnings fun enough with a small class but the composition stressed me out like hell. I did one of my compositions in about 3 hours the day before the due date with a. lot of teacher help.
Original post by MSB02
I like playing things but I've been playing the same grade 5 piano piece for two years now. learnings fun enough with a small class but the composition stressed me out like hell. I did one of my compositions in about 3 hours the day before the due date with a. lot of teacher help.

ouch that sucks, I remember my teacher made me relearn an old exam piece for my solo piece which was really boring:rant:
yeah we’ve got a small class too so there’s a lot of banter:lol:
ugh yeah the composition bit was hell, we had a ten hour controlled assessment for it which drove me insane:colondollar: and every time I got it how I liked it my teacher would tell me something was wrong (e.g: I didn't notice that I’d changed time signatures in the middle so had to rewrite half of it:sadnod:)
excited for Wednesday?
Reply 4
ouch that sucks, I remember my teacher made me relearn an old exam piece for my solo piece which was really boring:rant:
yeah we’ve got a small class too so there’s a lot of banter:lol:
ugh yeah the composition bit was hell, we had a ten hour controlled assessment for it which drove me insane:colondollar: and every time I got it how I liked it my teacher would tell me something was wrong (e.g: I didn't notice that I’d changed time signatures in the middle so had to rewrite half of it:sadnod:)
excited for Wednesday?

oh yeah, I'm just buzzin! 😂 I haven't revised much for it, I don't really know the set pieces but the practice papers in class have been decent so I think I'll be alright. our class average is about mid 70s%. I think I accidentally changed key in mine a few times and I always ended up hating what I'd made after a certain amount of time
Original post by MSB02
oh yeah, I'm just buzzin! 😂 I haven't revised much for it, I don't really know the set pieces but the practice papers in class have been decent so I think I'll be alright. our class average is about mid 70s%. I think I accidentally changed key in mine a few times and I always ended up hating what I'd made after a certain amount of time

:ahhhhh:
I’m going over the set works now:lol: I know I can’t wing music (or I genuinely will fail:colondollar:)
We didn’t get given back our December mocks so I’ve got no idea how I’ve done:dontknow: but we’re doing a mock paper tomorrow and on the day of exam (I still have to go to school every day:frown:)
saME:yep:
Reply 6
:ahhhhh:
I’m going over the set works now:lol: I know I can’t wing music (or I genuinely will fail:colondollar:)
We didn’t get given back our December mocks so I’ve got no idea how I’ve done:dontknow: but we’re doing a mock paper tomorrow and on the day of exam (I still have to go to school every day:frown:)
saME:yep:

oh no, that sucks! I've had to go in for revision classes but the last one I was at there were 3 people! I think I got low 70s in my mock and mocks are always harder. I think you'll do fine! what's your favourite set work?
Reply 7
I do music as well. Don't know what the set pieces are, I must be doing a different exam board. Have you been told your marks for your performances and compositions?
Reply 8
Original post by SamMed
I do music as well. Don't know what the set pieces are, I must be doing a different exam board. Have you been told your marks for your performances and compositions?

No I don't think so. we're being moderated for CCEA and all that so I don't think we'll find out until we get all our results :/
Original post by MSB02
oh no, that sucks! I've had to go in for revision classes but the last one I was at there were 3 people! I think I got low 70s in my mock and mocks are always harder. I think you'll do fine! what's your favourite set work?

:dontknow: I guess it means I get forced to do stuff (and I get to have all the banter with my friends and teachers:lol:)
oh:giggle: we have to go or else:rip: and sometimes we’re in groups of 60 (ew)
That’s brilliant:hugs: and hopefully:eek3:
that’s a hard question, probably the pathétique because I found this rock version (by Woolf Hoffmann) which I really like. What’s yours?
Reply 10
:dontknow: I guess it means I get forced to do stuff (and I get to have all the banter with my friends and teachers:lol:)
oh:giggle: we have to go or else:rip: and sometimes we’re in groups of 60 (ew)
That’s brilliant:hugs: and hopefully:eek3:
that’s a hard question, probably the pathétique because I found this rock version (by Woolf Hoffmann) which I really like. What’s yours?

Ew, big groups! I think we do different set works cus I've never heard of that! :/ I do like Run by Snow Patrol tho! I actually prefer the unseen questions cus it's always the same few, Feeling good, Anthem from Chess, MCM celebration, Goldfinger. My favourite is Anthem, Josh Groban has an amazing voice!
Original post by MSB02
Ew, big groups! I think we do different set works cus I've never heard of that! :/ I do like Run by Snow Patrol tho! I actually prefer the unseen questions cus it's always the same few, Feeling good, Anthem from Chess, MCM celebration, Goldfinger. My favourite is Anthem, Josh Groban has an amazing voice!

Yeah:sadnod:
I’m on edexcel:lol: assuming you’re another exam board? snow patrol would be so good:heart: wishing I was doing your one:lol:
Reply 12
Yeah:sadnod:
I’m on edexcel:lol: assuming you’re another exam board? snow patrol would be so good:heart: wishing I was doing your one:lol:

Yup, CCEA all the way :/ Can't say that the other set pieces are as good though
Original post by MSB02
Yup, CCEA all the way :/ Can't say that the other set pieces are as good though

ahhh that makes sense
oh well, you’ll be done with them this time on Wednesday:woo:
Reply 14
ahhh that makes sense
oh well, you’ll be done with them this time on Wednesday:woo:

until next year when I might do a level music :/ but until then, no more set pieces!
Original post by MSB02
until next year when I might do a level music :/ but until then, no more set pieces!

wow I’ve got respect:woo: I could never:colondollar:
What else are you planning to do?
Reply 16
wow I’ve got respect:woo: I could never:colondollar:
What else are you planning to do?

ICT and maybe maths if I can do well enough. I was gonna do physics but it's in the same block as ICT and geography which was my backup
Original post by MSB02
ICT and maybe maths if I can do well enough. I was gonna do physics but it's in the same block as ICT and geography which was my backup

That’s a nice mix:thumbsup:
oh that’s annoying:rant:
Reply 18
That’s a nice mix:thumbsup:
oh that’s annoying:rant:

yeah, i have no idea what to do if I don't get maths though which is likely. :/ ah wellll
Original post by MSB02
yeah, i have no idea what to do if I don't get maths though which is likely. :/ ah wellll

I’m sure you can, you’ve still got paper 2 and 3 to improve on:hugs:

Quick Reply

Latest