The Student Room Group

Provisional Results

What exactly does "provisional results" mean?
And what does it mean when it says Result: a(a)
Why is there another 'a' in brackets?

Thanks
Reply 1
0iceage0
What exactly does "provisional results" mean?
And what does it mean when it says Result: a(a)
Why is there another 'a' in brackets?

Thanks

I can't answer why they are 'provisional', but the result in brackets are normally lowercase. Not sure if you've typed it out correctly, but it's normally:

Result: A (a)
Result: A* (a*)
Result: D (d)

etc. It's just for clarification.
Reply 2
I think because your actual results are given to you on a certificate?
Yeah, think it's because they are given to you on a proper certificate at a later date.
Reply 4
There is a slim chance that the results you will get may change between the time you get the provisional results, and the time you get your certificates. For example, if they find out you have been cheating, or you get your paper remarked.
They're provisional because they're subject to change. Examples of changes include administrative errors and remarks.
I was told this is because it's harder to manually alter.
Reply 7
Okay, thanks...
And another thing: Are we sent the actual marks with the hard copy of the results, or is it just left at grades?
Reply 8
you will be told the actual marks you got for each module if your school 'cashes in' and gets the provisional results sheets for you (ive heard not every school/college does this!?) as well as grades and UMS score.
Reply 9
So its an optional thing that you have to pay for, as far as CIE is concerned?
Is it better to have the actual marks? I mean, do universities prefer it?
Reply 10
Your results are 'provisional' until you are certificated. This is because (as others have said) your result is subject to change due to remarks and appeals. Once you are certificated it is not possible to ask for a remark or appeal. Your certificated grades however can be revoked should the exam board find you've cheated in a module (just to clarify something which another poster mentioned before).
Reply 11
0iceage0
So its an optional thing that you have to pay for, as far as CIE is concerned?
Is it better to have the actual marks? I mean, do universities prefer it?

you don't have the option your school/college will decide but tbh i only heard about this yesterday, my college has always giving the provisional results sheet (jan and june) with full UMS score, module marks and grades on it. as for universities, (if you're A2) they will have your marks and grades now, so it doesn't matter how you recieve them but you should get the full info! good luck!
Reply 12
Can provisional results change, can they make a counting error?
I have a mark 68 followed by P, which I thought meant provisional.Now I have another result 85 followed by a D. What does D mean please? Does anyone know?
Reply 14
Original post by Mamgumartha
I have a mark 68 followed by P, which I thought meant provisional.Now I have another result 85 followed by a D. What does D mean please? Does anyone know?

Look at the date this thread is dated at. Learn a bit of forum ettiquette before posting pls.

Quick Reply

Latest