The Student Room Group

Numeracy QTS Skills Tests

Scroll to see replies

Can you pause the test at all, I know you can in the practice ones but the numeracy is really getting to me. I am dyslexic with a very low working memory and recall. The difficulty is that all that allows me is additional time for the overall test, it wont change the arithmetic section or the speed in which the questions need to be answered. This is a massive struggle for me and I am worried. In all the practice tests, I fail miserably at the first section because it takes me a long time to break apart number sentences and then if it is a 3 or more step question, I get to the third part and totally forget what I have written down and why so then find myself going right the way back to the beginning and before I know it, the time is up. I know I will fail this on Friday, although I passed literacy last Friday.
Reply 61
Original post by lisaw419
Can you pause the test at all, I know you can in the practice ones but the numeracy is really getting to me. I am dyslexic with a very low working memory and recall. The difficulty is that all that allows me is additional time for the overall test, it wont change the arithmetic section or the speed in which the questions need to be answered. This is a massive struggle for me and I am worried. In all the practice tests, I fail miserably at the first section because it takes me a long time to break apart number sentences and then if it is a 3 or more step question, I get to the third part and totally forget what I have written down and why so then find myself going right the way back to the beginning and before I know it, the time is up. I know I will fail this on Friday, although I passed literacy last Friday.

Well done on passing your literacy.

You cannot pause the mental arithmetic section of the test unfortunately.

Good luck for your numeracy.

Okay cancel your maths test and apply for additional support I don’t think is to late . I have dysprixa and was allow to get the test where, I was allowed to see the me the mental arthemic section written down rather than spoken. I didn’t pass but I only failed by 6 marks. I decided to get Numeaecy ready and now I am getting 75% from the written data part. I think you are allowed to pause the test, but I didn’t. Just have some confidence and don’t think negatively. You can 3 days before the test to cancel it and purchase numeracy ready is really helped me. Do at least 4 hours a day that’s what I try to do. If you need more help email me on [email protected].
Reply 63
Just wanted to say a big thank you to all who recommended Numeracy Ready, I finally passed my Numeracy after failing twice. So big thanks once again.
Original post by Kanae
Just wanted to say a big thank you to all who recommended Numeracy Ready, I finally passed my Numeracy after failing twice. So big thanks once again.

Congrats how many test papers did you do and how long did you revise for ?
Reply 65
Original post by Blbrown2
Congrats how many test papers did you do and how long did you revise for ?

Thanks :smile: I studied everyday after work plus weekend for 2 weeks. I did 1/2 papers every week day and 4/5 at the weekend. I ended up doing 19/20 Numeracy Ready tests (they repeat questions a fair bit towards the end) and all 4 of the Government ones - which seemed harder.
Reply 66
Original post by Kanae

That’s fantastic news, well done.
Original post by Kanae
Thanks :smile: I studied everyday after work plus weekend for 2 weeks. I did 1/2 papers every week day and 4/5 at the weekend. I ended up doing 19/20 Numeracy Ready tests (they repeat questions a fair bit towards the end) and all 4 of the Government ones - which seemed harder.

I find numeracy ready harder okay that’s good my test is soon a bit nervous the last test I done on numeracy ready I got 20 out of 28. How much was percentage did you get on the government tests?

Thanks for relying
Reply 68
I find numeracy ready harder okay that’s good my test is soon a bit nervous the last test I done on numeracy ready I got 20 out of 28. How much was percentage did you get on the government tests?

Thanks for relying

Thanks for relying

I failed my GCSE maths so i understand your worries.That's good, that's a pass. I got 50, 64,78,71. The first one i paniced massively and failed. But after that it was ok. I ended up getting 20/21/22 right so i was happy i'd prepared enough
Original post by Kanae
I failed my GCSE maths so i understand your worries.That's good, that's a pass. I got 50, 64,78,71. The first one i paniced massively and failed. But after that it was ok. I ended up getting 20/21/22 right so i was happy i'd prepared enough

I am more confident I am trying to score more on the 2 nd section as that is my streghten and I have failed my maths GCSE three times. Okay that is good sorry if am asking a lot of questions am going to move back my test am not ready just yet.
Reply 70
I am more confident I am trying to score more on the 2 nd section as that is my streghten and I have failed my maths GCSE three times. Okay that is good sorry if am asking a lot of questions am going to move back my test am not ready just yet.

I found the second bit easier in the test i just did, there didn't seem to be as many things to work out on the chats. Maths seems to be a subject where you get it or don't. It's fine :smile: we all gotta pass right. That may be a good idea if you feel like that, have you got to pass it by a certain date?
Original post by Kanae
I found the second bit easier in the test i just did, there didn't seem to be as many things to work out on the chats. Maths seems to be a subject where you get it or don't. It's fine :smile: we all gotta pass right. That may be a good idea if you feel like that, have you got to pass it by a certain date?

My uni hasn’t said anything about it but I will call them next week , I get it but then when I do some numeracy ready papers I go blank lol I just do two hour revision and I didn’t get a good mark on the written part but I normally get 10-13 marks .

How did it go ?
Reply 73
My uni hasn’t said anything about it but I will call them next week , I get it but then when I do some numeracy ready papers I go blank lol I just do two hour revision and I didn’t get a good mark on the written part but I normally get 10-13 marks .

When i got my offer from my uni it said that i had to pass my tests as part of the conditions. It has now been changed to unconditional as i've passed. Which uni are you going to? 10-13 is fine then you'd need 8-5 on the mental bit
Original post by Kanae
When i got my offer from my uni it said that i had to pass my tests as part of the conditions. It has now been changed to unconditional as i've passed. Which uni are you going to? 10-13 is fine then you'd need 8-5 on the mental bit

That is what I am getting on both 8-5 on mental and 10-13 on the written bit. Only thing is sometimes my mind blanks out but then after I relax I can answer the question it’s a bit annyoyng lol . I am going to Greenwich and you . I ve passed the literacy one first time .
Reply 75
That is what I am getting on both 8-5 on mental and 10-13 on the written bit. Only thing is sometimes my mind blanks out but then after I relax I can answer the question it’s a bit annyoyng lol . I am going to Greenwich and you . I ve passed the literacy one first time .

Ah ok, that sounds like you're getting there then :smile: oh same i had that on a fraction question in the test but i was a lot calmer than the other 2 times. I'm going to Bath Spa. That's good, i found the literacy very easy and also passed first time.
Reply 76
Took my first numeracy test last week and failed by 3 marks. Fair to say I did better than I expected but still gutted knowing I have to go through it all again. Stressed as I'm worried the questions won't be nice to me and it may be harder or on things I'm not as confident on etc etc... Really need to pass now as the conditional deadline is looming. I WILL GO TO UNI... I WILL. My last numeracy one the fail was on the mental section so any suggestions on how to get in the zone and what areas are best to practise for this section. Thanks in advance.
Original post by ame1212
Took my first numeracy test last week and failed by 3 marks. Fair to say I did better than I expected but still gutted knowing I have to go through it all again. Stressed as I'm worried the questions won't be nice to me and it may be harder or on things I'm not as confident on etc etc... Really need to pass now as the conditional deadline is looming. I WILL GO TO UNI... I WILL. My last numeracy one the fail was on the mental section so any suggestions on how to get in the zone and what areas are best to practise for this section. Thanks in advance.

That is the spirit keep being positive , I m in the same boat. Invest in numeracy ready, I have seen dramatic change in my results. Use YouTube videos.
Original post by Kanae
Ah ok, that sounds like you're getting there then :smile: oh same i had that on a fraction question in the test but i was a lot calmer than the other 2 times. I'm going to Bath Spa. That's good, i found the literacy very easy and also passed first time.

Just took my test it was harder than the first one but failed by one mark. When you failed twice did you wait long to do it ? Or did you do it within two weeks.
Reply 79
Just took my test it was harder than the first one but failed by one mark. When you failed twice did you wait long to do it ? Or did you do it within two weeks.

oh no! That's annoying, so close to passing :smile: I thought my second test was harder as well. I booked for the next one which just happened to be 2 weeks away. I then studied everyday for atleast 2 hours.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending