The Student Room Group

a level examination

hi I would like to ask does a-level further maths requires an overall total 480 marks to be an a? because I think I did really bad for my fp3 and m2, probably 30 percent and 60 percent roughly and m2 roughly 85 percent so even if I got rest 3 paper 100 percent still can't achieve an a, I am applying to kings college maths, the offer asking for a in maths, what is the probability of they accepting a b in maths does anybody know? I feel really anxious that I can't get in to any of the universities and I absolutely don't want to repeat or go to foundation.
You need a average of 270 ums in 3 A2 units (can include FP modules) and a ums score higher or equal to 480 . Eg for my further maths my 3 A2 units are Fp2 M2 and S2 and the remaining are M3 Fp1 and fp3,
Btw any mark above 480 is a A* not A
Reply 3
Original post by Gb master
Btw any mark above 480 is a A* not A

its like an a* is 3 further maths paper (exclude fp1) above 90 plus overall 480, a is overall 480
Original post by ZYM_CL
hi I would like to ask does a-level further maths requires an overall total 480 marks to be an a? because I think I did really bad for my fp3 and m2, probably 30 percent and 60 percent roughly and m2 roughly 85 percent so even if I got rest 3 paper 100 percent still can't achieve an a, I am applying to kings college maths, the offer asking for a in maths, what is the probability of they accepting a b in maths does anybody know? I feel really anxious that I can't get in to any of the universities and I absolutely don't want to repeat or go to foundation.

Yes, you need 480 UMS
Reply 5
Original post by Kyber Ninja
Yes, you need 480 UMS

fp3 is the hardest this year I think I will be failed to getting a and get into university because of this
Original post by ZYM_CL
fp3 is the hardest this year I think I will be failed to getting a and get into university because of this

If it was truly hard, then the boundaries will drop
Reply 7
If it was truly hard, then the boundaries will drop
so would the ums stays 480??or is there any chance of getting lower
Original post by ZYM_CL

The UMS boundary will always stay the same, what changes is the raw mark (actual mark out of 75) required to get said boundary
Reply 9
The UMS boundary will always stay the same, what changes is the raw mark (actual mark out of 75) required to get said boundary

oh its sad that i dont get an a then:frown:(
Original post by ZYM_CL

The UMS would remain at 480 for an A, but you'll get more UMS for each raw mark if the grade boundaries are lower.

An A grade in each module is 80+ UMS. If the grade boundary for an A is 70, say, then 70/75 will get you 80 UMS. If the grade boundary for an A is only 53, say, then you'll only need 53/75 for 80 UMS in that module.

The overall grade only looks at your UMS marks; your UMS mark will depend upon grade boundaries and the difficulty of the paper, but the total UMS mark required for an A will not change from 480. Some candidates might have sat FP3 last year (when the paper was fairly straightforward); the 480 being lowered for everyone would then be advantageous to those candidates over those sitting it this year (if this year's paper was harder), so they can't do that.
Original post by ZYM_CL

You said that your offer requires an A in Maths; do you need an A in Further Maths as well? If not, then you can still get in with only a B in Further Maths.
Reply 12
Original post by mupsman2312
The UMS would remain at 480 for an A, but you'll get more UMS for each raw mark if the grade boundaries are lower.

An A grade in each module is 80+ UMS. If the grade boundary for an A is 70, say, then 70/75 will get you 80 UMS. If the grade boundary for an A is only 53, say, then you'll only need 53/75 for 80 UMS in that module.

The overall grade only looks at your UMS marks; your UMS mark will depend upon grade boundaries and the difficulty of the paper, but the total UMS mark required for an A will not change from 480. Some candidates might have sat FP3 last year (when the paper was fairly straightforward); the 480 being lowered for everyone would then be advantageous to those candidates over those sitting it this year (if this year's paper was harder), so they can't do that.
so even if I dont get the percentage of 480 percent out of 600 percent,as long as I reach reach the grade boundary for each individual paper i could still get a ??
Original post by ZYM_CL
oh its sad that i dont get an a then:frown:(

You still could do. You said that you thought you got about 85% in M2. Grade boundaries can occasionally (but very rarely) drop low enough for that to give you 100 UMS (or close to it), if the paper is particularly difficult compared to other years' papers (depending upon how people generally do on it). So, you might get higher UMS marks than you're expecting in those modules - and there's still a chance of you reaching the 480 UMS required for an A overall. One or two "bad" papers won't necessarily make it impossible to get an A overall - it just means that you might have to do a little bit better on other papers, or simply hope that the grade boundaries drop sufficiently.
Original post by ZYM_CL
so even if I dont get the percentage of 480 percent out of 600 percent,as long as I reach reach the grade boundary for each individual paper i could still get a ??

Yes. If an A for each paper is only at 75%, and you get 75% on each paper, then you'll get 80 UMS on each one - giving you 480 in total. You might not have scored 80% of the raw marks, but you could still get 80% of the UMS marks (or vice-versa), depending upon the grade boundaries for each individual module.
Reply 15
You said that your offer requires an A in Maths; do you need an A in Further Maths as well? If not, then you can still get in with only a B in Further Maths.

yeah need a for further maths:frown:(
Reply 16
Yes. If an A for each paper is only at 75%, and you get 75% on each paper, then you'll get 80 UMS on each one - giving you 480 in total. You might not have scored 80% of the raw marks, but you could still get 80% of the UMS marks (or vice-versa), depending upon the grade boundaries for each individual module.

but i think my fp3 and m2 is extremly bad and i just looked up the ums and raw marks transformation,the grade boundary was really high last year that if say i get 75 percent in most of the subjuct the ums would be 60 or 50 something which is worse
Original post by ZYM_CL
but i think my fp3 and m2 is extremly bad and i just looked up the ums and raw marks transformation,the grade boundary was really high last year that if say i get 75 percent in most of the subjuct the ums would be 60 or 50 something which is worse

Were your papers harder than usual, do you think? I sat FP3 and M2 last year, and the FP3 paper was quite straightforward; the M2 paper was okay, too. Don't worry about last year's grade boundaries - usually FP3 is lower than that. In the last few years, 75% in FP3 or M2 would get you over 70 UMS more often than not.

Do you have your results for your AS modules (if you did FM as a two-year course)? If they're higher, then they should be able to pull your total up - even if you didn't do very well in your A2 modules. Two modules at 60 doesn't mean that it's impossible to get an A overall - you'd then just have to average 90 across your other four (which is no mean feat, to be fair). The way in which the grading works lets you have one or two "bad" papers, but it still not heavily affect your overall grade.

Also, if your A-level Maths modules aren't double-locked, then you may even be able to switch some of your Maths and FM modules around, in order to maximise both grades (so long as the combinations are still permitted).

For example, if you had a total of 510 UMS in Maths and 470 UMS in Further Maths, then it may be possible to switch a higher scoring applied module from your Maths with a lower-scoring one from your Further Maths - giving you totals of 495 and 485, say. This would give you AA instead of AB. [This part will be done automatically by Edexcel's grade and UMS optimisation algorithms, so don't worry too much about it.]

Quick Reply

Latest