The Student Room Group

I'm having a rhinoplasty on Thursday...AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by YasudaSayo
I'm 17 and have wanted a nose job all my life. I want to get it done asap so I can start my life, but idk how to get money for it. I'm considering doing a gap year before uni so I can save for a nose job and get it before I start uni so I can finally start my life, be myself, and enjoy my uni days and the rest of my life. How old are you and how did you get money for it?

I'm 23 and I just saved up from my (part time) job.

If you really think that having it done would make you feel better about yourself, then I say go for it. I've wanted a nose job since I was 13 :redface:
Deviated septum or just wonky? Former can cause medical issues.

As surgeries go, it's quite minor. Just think of it as a more elaborate nose piercing.
Original post by Black Water
Oh right. Mind me asking roughly how much it costs? I heard they can be quite expensive.

It varies from place to place, but mine is just under 5k. Very expensive :redface:
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Hope it's worth it after , i guess.

Me too :cry2: It's very scary. After all, it's not like you can hide your nose if it goes wrong. And surgeons have told me that my skin is so thin that only one nose job is possible. "One bite at the apple", one said. So no corrections :afraid:
Original post by Maid Marian
It varies from place to place, but mine is just under 5k. Very expensive :redface:

Wow that's expensive, could get it cheaper by flying to Colombia and getting it done there lol, and enjoy a beach recovery. I was seriously considering getting one done there every time I am there.
Original post by Notoriety
Deviated septum or just wonky? Former can cause medical issues.

As surgeries go, it's quite minor. Just think of it as a more elaborate nose piercing.

My septum is actually slightly deviated, but I don't have any breathing problems through it, luckily. Hopefully I won't get any after the operation ... that wouldn't be good :frown:

Oh? Honestly, I became very light headed during one of my consultations because I was so squeamish about what the surgeon was telling me. It's super scary to imagine my skin being peeled back and then my nose literally broken. :redface:
Reply 26

True, damn that’s quite a lot. Do you know how long your recovery time will be? :smile:
Original post by yudothis
Wow that's expensive, could get it cheaper by flying to Colombia and getting it done there lol, and enjoy a beach recovery. I was seriously considering getting one done there every time I am there.

I couldn't trust going abroad for it. For so many reasons. You always hear horror stories of people who went abroad for cheap surgery.
Hey, I actually had a rhinoplasty surgery last month ( I can't even remember the day now, goodness. Probably 6 weeks ago? ) I was/am 24. If there's anything you want to discuss you're welcome to :smile:.
My septum is actually slightly deviated, but I don't have any breathing problems through it, luckily. Hopefully I won't get any after the operation ... that wouldn't be good :frown:

Oh? Honestly, I became very light headed during one of my consultations because I was so squeamish about what the surgeon was telling me. It's super scary to imagine my skin being peeled back and then my nose literally broken. :redface:

Well, you're very lucky in that regard. In winds my deviated septum can make it difficult to catch a breath.

Haha, yes, sometimes it is better not to know. If you are anxious on the day of the operation, you should be able to request a pre-med to relax you. Temazepam is a helluva drug.
I couldn't trust going abroad for it. For so many reasons. You always hear horror stories of people who went abroad for cheap surgery.

Yea I figured, but Colombians are crazy about beauty standards, and surgery is very common. In Medellin for example if you go out at night every other ass is fake :wink: They have very good surgeons but anyway, I was just saying because I keep thinking of getting my nose done. I hope all goes well for you, and there are no complications! Fingers crossed :smile:
True, damn that’s quite a lot. Do you know how long your recovery time will be? :smile:

My surgeon said people usually book 2 weeks off work for it, though the instruction booklet he gave me says about three weeks. :hmmm: I'm prepared for A LOT of bruising though, because I bruise ridiculously easy. And I have thin skin. I've booked 17 days off work and hopefully that'll be enough! They think I'm going on holiday to Wales. :ninja:
Me too :cry2: It's very scary. After all, it's not like you can hide your nose if it goes wrong. And surgeons have told me that my skin is so thin that only one nose job is possible. "One bite at the apple", one said. So no corrections :afraid:

I’ve had two nose jobs but had to wait a year between them so it’s fully healed by the time of the second surgery.
Original post by UnbreakableDimmy
Hey, I actually had a rhinoplasty surgery last month ( I can't even remember the day now, goodness. Probably 6 weeks ago? ) I was/am 24. If there's anything you want to discuss you're welcome to :smile:.

Ooooh. Tell me. What did you have done to your nose, how was the operation, how was the recovery, how long did your bruises last for, did you have much pain, how long did you have to stay in bed for, etc... ?

Original post by Paktriot
I’ve had two nose jobs but had to wait a year between them so it’s fully healed by the time of the second surgery.

As above, anything you can tell me? Also why did you have two? Did the first go wrong? :frown:
Well, you're very lucky in that regard. In winds my deviated septum can make it difficult to catch a breath.

Haha, yes, sometimes it is better not to know. If you are anxious on the day of the operation, you should be able to request a pre-med to relax you. Temazepam is a helluva drug.

Damn:frown: Don't the NHS fix deviated septums though, if you have trouble breathing?

Yikes, I hope I'll be okay... :eek:
Damn:frown: Don't the NHS fix deviated septums though, if you have trouble breathing?

Yikes, I hope I'll be okay... :eek:

I would request a pre-med just for the laugh; I never actually needed it. But you're having a stressful day ... might as well see John Lennon riding a Hippogriff. But yours is private, so probably cost a penny to do it.
Reply 36
My surgeon said people usually book 2 weeks off work for it, though the instruction booklet he gave me says about three weeks. :hmmm: I'm prepared for A LOT of bruising though, because I bruise ridiculously easy. And I have thin skin. I've booked 17 days off work and hopefully that'll be enough! They think I'm going on holiday to Wales. :ninja:

Haha, the classic I’m going on holiday. Yeah, there will be so much bruising then. Hopefully that should be enough for recovery, but won’t your colleagues be able to tell the difference? Maybe your employers as well?
I would request a pre-med just for the laugh; I never actually needed it. But you're having a stressful day ... might as well see John Lennon riding a Hippogriff. But yours is private, so probably cost a penny to do it.

:rofl: I'm expecting the finest service as a private patient.
Ooooh. Tell me. What did you have done to your nose, how was the operation, how was the recovery, how long did your bruises last for, did you have much pain, how long did you have to stay in bed for, etc... ?

As above, anything you can tell me? Also why did you have two? Did the first go wrong? :frown:

I had a hump on my nose and I wanted it straightened out. Operation went pretty well, I slept through the whole thing and woke up with a really dry mouth but no pain. Recovery is okay, it takes a week to take the bandages off and after that it’s all good. Bruising and swelling is really bad and scary looking, you’ll look like someone beat your face up but it doesn’t hurt, just looks bad. The bruises last for about a week. I did not really need to stay in bed. I was discharged 5 hours after the surgery and didn’t need any specific bed rest.

The first one didn’t really go wrong but I thought it had become a bit more droopy than I wanted. I spoke to my surgeon about it and he agreed that it needed a lift so I got a second one.
Haha, the classic I’m going on holiday. Yeah, there will be so much bruising then. Hopefully that should be enough for recovery, but won’t your colleagues be able to tell the difference? Maybe your employers as well?

Well, my surgeon said that people often don't notice nose jobs! Mainly because other people aren't fixated on the nose. I'm not (hopefully) having anything major done, just smoothing down the bridge and putting a dent in the bulbous side. Unless I wake up and the surgeon's given me an awful ski slope nose, hopefully no one will notice!

Quick Reply

Latest