The Student Room Group

How to convince Muslim parents to let me get a nosejob

I needed some advice on how to convince my mum on being okay with me getting a rhinoplasty. She's somewhat religious and I'm not sure how she'll react if I tell her

First of all I'm not religious and this procedure would definitely be a confidence booster and help me feel more comfortable in my own body. This had been a huge insecurity of mine for years.

I will be financing the whole thing with my own money so that's not the case and I'm 18.

I'd appreciate it if u rather not say anything uf ur going to criticise me for my decisions. I just want to add that my own decisions and what I decide to do with my body has got nothing to do with strangers and please don't push ur religious beliefs onto me bc it would be a waste if ur time

Thank you
Original post by Anonymous
I needed some advice on how to convince my mum on being okay with me getting a rhinoplasty. She's somewhat religious and I'm not sure how she'll react if I tell her

First of all I'm not religious and this procedure would definitely be a confidence booster and help me feel more comfortable in my own body. This had been a huge insecurity of mine for years.

I will be financing the whole thing with my own money so that's not the case and I'm 18.

I'd appreciate it if u rather not say anything uf ur going to criticise me for my decisions. I just want to add that my own decisions and what I decide to do with my body has got nothing to do with strangers and please don't push ur religious beliefs onto me bc it would be a waste if ur time

Thank you

If you're 18, just do it. Book the procedure, transport, and stay, then tell her that you're going to do it regardless and that it's her choice as to whether she wants to be supportive or not.

Now that you're an adult, you have to start living for yourself instead of for your parents.

Spoiler

Reply 2
If you are an adult and going to be funding it yourself, do you really need to ask for permission?
Always trust your gut instinct and put your own health first. :smile:

If your parents are very traditionalist religious conservatives who are in the habit of objecting to all efforts a person makes to improve their own visual appearance or take a deeply hostile stance towards coreligionists paying to have cosmetic surgery privately done, there is no chance that you will be ever able to change their minds. Best not to attempt it.

Do you have some supportive secular orientated friends who you can talk to about your cosmetic surgery plans or stay with for a few weeks as you recover?
Recovering after a rhinoplasty is almost always quite painful, with extensive swelling and some very unsightly bruising for up to 3 weeks.
The total recovery time is usually more than 4 months.

Patients require lots of rest over the first week and are firmly advised to book at least 1-2 weeks off work so that they will be in the best situation to recover from the nose reshaping cosmetic surgery.
Having a few friends who are willing to help out with shopping, accomodation for a few weeks or meals can be a gamechanger.
Good luck!

Thank you

I mean the best advice would be to talk it through with your family and put across your reasons for wanting this procedure and that you have considered any risks associated and aftercare etc. I can't comment on the religious grounds your mother/parents might object on but you also need to appreciate it from their point of view: you are their child and always will be no matter how old you are and they love you for who you are. To your mother you are probably the most beautiful person in the world: that's a mother's love. Even if you explained it to her and she respected your decision don't be surprised if she or your father would want to discourage you against it. That's what parents do, they love us unconditonally until the day they're no longer with us.

It is your choice and you are an adult and free to make those adult decisions. But if it means so much to you about how your parents will react then just nip this in the bud and talk to them about it.
Reply 5
Original post by londonmyst
Always trust your gut instinct and put your own health first. :smile:

If your parents are very traditionalist religious conservatives who are in the habit of objecting to all efforts a person makes to improve their own visual appearance or take a deeply hostile stance towards coreligionists paying to have cosmetic surgery privately done, there is no chance that you will be ever able to change their minds. Best not to attempt it.

Do you have some supportive secular orientated friends who you can talk to about your cosmetic surgery plans or stay with for a few weeks as you recover?
Recovering after a rhinoplasty is almost always quite painful, with extensive swelling and some very unsightly bruising for up to 3 weeks.
The total recovery time is usually more than 4 months.

Patients require lots of rest over the first week and are firmly advised to book at least 1-2 weeks off work so that they will be in the best situation to recover from the nose reshaping cosmetic surgery.
Having a few friends who are willing to help out with shopping, accomodation for a few weeks or meals can be a gamechanger.
Good luck!

Thank you. I plan on staying with my parents up until when I need to go to Turkey for the nose job. And when I come back and they're not pleased with my decisions I'll leave and rent out a room in my city. Usually cost like £100 a week. I plan on getting a job and saving for that just in case it comes to that. It probably will
Reply 6
I mean the best advice would be to talk it through with your family and put across your reasons for wanting this procedure and that you have considered any risks associated and aftercare etc. I can't comment on the religious grounds your mother/parents might object on but you also need to appreciate it from their point of view: you are their child and always will be no matter how old you are and they love you for who you are. To your mother you are probably the most beautiful person in the world: that's a mother's love. Even if you explained it to her and she respected your decision don't be surprised if she or your father would want to discourage you against it. That's what parents do, they love us unconditonally until the day they're no longer with us.

It is your choice and you are an adult and free to make those adult decisions. But if it means so much to you about how your parents will react then just nip this in the bud and talk to them about it.

I was planning on telling my mother that I got a ball got kicked into my face or fell face flat onto my face which would explain the swelling or bruising when I come back. But I don't think she would belive it because after a couple of weeks if have a cute button nose
Reply 7

Thank you

I did mine for 180£ in london. Non surgical that is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending