The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nexttime
I think there's only one British city I'd like to live in less than London, and that's Birmingham (all the grey urban sprawl, none of London's advantages). Even the Northern cities with the worst reputation you can think of - at least in those places i could afford a very nice house!

You need to explore Birmingham a bit better mate. Birmingham is home to Sutton Park (one of the biggest urban parks in Europe) and the Tolkien Walk, which is areas of countryside that inspired the setting in Lord of the Rings. You have the right to have your own opinion about Birmingham, but to say it is just a "grey urban sprawl" is highly inaccurate.
Original post by sophievchristina
You need to explore Birmingham a bit better mate. Birmingham is home to Sutton Park (one of the biggest urban parks in Europe) and the Tolkien Walk, which is areas of countryside that inspired the setting in Lord of the Rings. You have the right to have your own opinion about Birmingham, but to say it is just a "grey urban sprawl" is highly inaccurate.

The fact that you name a park and an urban walk as your top example of how Birmingham isn't urban sprawl is quite telling.

I'm not saying Birmingham doesn't have trees or parks. I'm not saying it doesn't have nice buildings, or nice people. I'm saying that for someone like me, who values being out in the countryside (as in, can't see any buildings, can't see any other people, could just set my tent up and camp under the stars if i wanted) some cities are better than others. London is bad. Birmingham is bad. The sprawl between Manchester and Liverpool is bad. Whereas places like Sheffied, Leeds, Oxford - you can walk from those places and be in a national park/AONB. Its grey surrounded by green rather than patches of green surrounded by grey. They aren't the same.
Original post by Abcdefghijk123
I live right outside London and I think it’s great. There’s the stereotype that Londoners are unfriendly, and it’s partly true, because it’s obviously a lot more fast-paced than places in the countryside. The crowds can be annoying too, but you’ve got those in any major town/city.

Yeah, outer London is great, but I avoid the city. :s-smilie:
Absolutely love it. I live here and never want to leave x
Whereas places like Sheffied, Leeds, Oxford - you can walk from those places and be in a national park/AONB. Its grey surrounded by green rather than patches of green surrounded by grey. They aren't the same.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannock_Chase
The fact that you name a park and an urban walk as your top example of how Birmingham isn't urban sprawl is quite telling.

Lol I never said they were my top examples, just some of the more famous ones. Just because I didn't give you an encyclopedia of every nice Birmingham park or countryside postcodes in a forum doesn't mean that's all I could come up with.

I'm not denying that Central Birmingham a mostly industrial city. I just find that defining it by the town centre and reducing it to an "urban sprawl" is a common misconception. There is actually a lot of countryside and farmland here, but not a lot of people seem to know about it.
Reply 46
Original post by dartagnankillian
I was watching a YT vid about the ‘don’ts of London’ (I was...bored) and most people just said ‘don’t come’. The vast majority said really nasty things about it, but as someone who wishes to study there I have to know; why do you hate it? People who don’t live there (and I agree) say it’s like a different county compared to the rest of England, but still, why hate it?
Thanks in advance! :smile:

Having lived in London for 4 years (not as a student) and having lived outside of London as well, the issue with London is that is a very stressful place to live. You don't even realise how stressful it is until you move out. I lived very centrally in London - the cost of rent and bills was stressful, the busy streets and irritating tourists were stressful, every retail job is 100x more stressful, going out and having fun is stressful. It's a great city with lots to do, and a really accessible place to live with such a rich mix of cultures that you can really benefit from being surrounded by people from all walks of life. But London (central at least) isn't a place I'd like to spend my entire life. Outside of London everything is calmer, my skin is clearer, I feel more relaxed and content, I can actually have a garden (no chance in London), and the roads aren't constantly busy with traffic jams, noisy people/music and people being loud until the early hours of the morning. It's generally safer, quieter and people are more friendly because there are less people so it isn't difficult to have a chat with your neighbour. I met some great people in London, and enjoyed my time there, but I'm choosing to settle outside of London, where I can relax and actually afford to live happily.

I feel like in London, you can't have a proper adult life, because jobs are too busy, time demanding and low paying. You can't afford and don't have the time to live like a proper adult. Moving outside of London, hours worked are generally shorter and the pay is almost the same, and it's quieter. This is just my own personal experience.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Fullofsurprises
TBH, a lot of it is just simple jealousy. London is overwhelmingly impressive compared to the rest of Britain, at least in terms of cities, so the only way the others can fight back is by attempting to put it down, which generally fails.

However, there are also things like economic inequality and a perceived government spending bias towards London which annoy people. I say perceived because it isn't always accurate. However it is true in some important issues.

Some people also perceive Londoners as arrogant or rude, some of which is sometimes true. However, people also misread London attitudes - for example, the apparent indifference of Londoners - which are not specific to London but are a common characteristic of very large cities.

is it really true that londoners are more likely to be arrogant or rude? i was told quite the opposite. i was told that london is the most diverse region in the UK so people tend to be less hostile towards someone who looks different.
Reply 48
Excuse me, what do you like about?? The rudeness, the unfriendliness, the loneliness, the multiculturalism which is a major disaster, the non chatty crowd??
I lived in London for 11 years and have finally moved away from it. Initially I really enjoyed London. I liked how anonymous it made me feel. It held a certain intrigue and excitement and there genuinely are lots of exciting opportunities for the right type of person. Although I ended up completely hating London I would always encourage others to give it shot. It's not for everyone and my advice to anybody considering it to pay heed to London's sell-by date. If you start feeling you're just not loving it anymore then it's probably time to move on. I stuck it out for an additional 6 years and it really dragged me down. Moving back home to the West Coast of Ireland was the best decision I have made in a long time.I imagine that cost has already been mentioned and for very good reason. It's the accommodation that leads Londoners into the trap of living pay cheque to pay cheque. The only way around the extortionate rents is to either live in the suburbs circa zone 5 outside London City, or join a house share more central. The former solution will increase your travel costs and time spent commuting; the latter can be so incredibly hit and miss with regards to theveryone types of people you share with. We had some pretty negative experiences house sharing. My word of advice would be to avoid both an overcrowded house (4 ) or a house with a live in owner. We eventually got our own place, but that just brought us right back full circle to living pay cheque to pay cheque.London can be a very lonely city. Don't be fooled by the population. Finding a local community is tough unless you attend some sort of church, and of course that's not everyone's bag. I considered joining a choir, but even that doesn't bring a community feel because most members don't live in the vicinity of where practice takes place. In some cases participants are travelling an hour for practice. Culturally I found ethnic groups tend to stick together. Despite my best efforts to get to know a few people running a nearby store (they were lovely people) it never went past a certain point and I always felt a distance. Londoners by and large tend to keep to themselves and I found that many people we met were really only interested in keeping in touch with friends they met at Uni.Of course these are only my opinions and others may have had a more positive experience. London just became too chaotic and impersonal for me. I guess the 11 years changed me somewhat because I was so shocked at how friendly the Irish are known you return home
jealousy
- noise
- pollution
- rude people
- expensive

but otherwise its a great place to live in
Original post by HateOCR
- noise
- pollution
- rude people
- expensive

but otherwise its a great place to live in

Which is why i’m far away from London these days. (At Univeristy of Warwick)

London is a great place and I do miss it sometimes but if you're not in central London or basically the wealthy areas, the place is a mess.
It does have the best student night life with the endless amount of clubs, restaurants, bars and pubs but I rather go there as a night out than actually live there.
I dislike London because it's cold and boring. London is too flooded with houses everywhere.. the areas are not welcoming. In India there are no houses so close to each house. London is not what British people made it, London is what it is because of people from all different countries. I mean that London is a well known and rich country and that is because of people from all different countries. British people didn't do all the hard work, others did. China deserves to be the richest country. They work hard enough, not England. I've lived in london for 6 years, I have never seen a food product labelled 'made in UK' although it is very rare when something is made in UK.
London is a racist shithole with money, full of anti-Oriental racists and hypocritical black supremacists and of course, white racists, you may get stabbed here after work
I used to live in Harrow. Dreadful. Wouldn’t live there again. Ive lived in Northamptonshire and that was great but dull. Now Im living in Hertfordshire and its sick because Londons on my doorstep and I got the countryside, big houses and nice gastros to look at. Wouldnt mind living in Richmond though
Reply 56
In many way, it's basically a dying city living on the prestige of once being at the forefront of development in what must now be a century ago. It was palatable a while back but it's getting probably horrid to live in, especially with the swiftly changing demographics in favour of Muslim politicians and the like. Now I know why Thatcher got rid of the London County Council.
Original post by dartagnankillian
I was watching a YT vid about the ‘don’ts of London’ (I was...bored) and most people just said ‘don’t come’. The vast majority said really nasty things about it, but as someone who wishes to study there I have to know; why do you hate it? People who don’t live there (and I agree) say it’s like a different county compared to the rest of England, but still, why hate it?
Thanks in advance! :smile:

People outside of London feel that no money is invested outside of it, for me as well being from Liverpool I don’t feel like this city gets the credit and status it deserves considering the amount of manual work put in by its people to fund London, let’s be honest and it’s attractions and history. The rest of the UK is put aside when London is involved. And as well as this, being from Liverpool I sit here with my family sometimes and talk about past events, like WW1/2 and think to myself, what was the point of the blitz, the war etc. if it counted for nothing in the end anyway. If Londoners and the blind government could see what the rest of the major towns/city’s where like in the UK then they might understand why the rest of England is so depressed. **** London
(edited 4 years ago)

Latest