The Student Room Group

Commuting Students 6pm finish

Hey,

So I am a commuter because I can't afford to live on campus or in halls because of money issues. I live within the hour of the university, but looking at my timetable 6pm finishes on some days are gonna be so hard to do. What do I do? I want to succeed but I feel like traveling at that hour is so dangerous? Any advice would be appreciated 👍
Original post by Anonymous
Hey,

So I am a commuter because I can't afford to live on campus or in halls because of money issues. I live within the hour of the university, but looking at my timetable 6pm finishes on some days are gonna be so hard to do. What do I do? I want to succeed but I feel like traveling at that hour is so dangerous? Any advice would be appreciated 👍

Hiya 👋

Organising your schedule around a commute can be challenging. Would you be driving or taking a train or bus?

Why do you think travelling after 6pm would be more dangerous than travelling at 4 or 5pm?

It is worth asking your university if there are any alternative lecture slots available. If you have received your timetable, see if there is a contact email as usually they can take enquiries around timetable schedule conflicts etc. Some universities can amend things for example there may be mature students that are single parents who would need to work their schedule around a school run. This may not be possible however, as it all depends on your particular course and the teaching slots they are working with.

In my first year, Mondays for the Autumn term consisted of a 9am-10am lecture and a 5pm-6pm lecture. Every Monday. Nothing in between. There was no point in going home to come back again in the afternoon and it was annoying but we just had to get on with things. I ended up using the time to work on my assignments in the library, go to the gym, catch up with friends from my societies. There was always something to do, and having to be there from 9am put me in the headspace of studying.

There are positive aspects to finishing a lecture at 6pm as well, as there will be less traffic after rush hour and you can get off-peak train tickets.

It certainly isn't ideal but it does prepare you for the reality of what life will be like when you start working a full time job and the travel that goes along with that.

Best wishes
Essex Student Rep - Hayley
Reply 2
Hey,

What part of the country are you in?
Watch them at home.
Reply 4
Original post by Holger23
What part of the country are you in?

Near London and I drive
Reply 5
Original post by EssexStudentRep
Hiya 👋

Organising your schedule around a commute can be challenging. Would you be driving or taking a train or bus?

Why do you think travelling after 6pm would be more dangerous than travelling at 4 or 5pm?

It is worth asking your university if there are any alternative lecture slots available. If you have received your timetable, see if there is a contact email as usually they can take enquiries around timetable schedule conflicts etc. Some universities can amend things for example there may be mature students that are single parents who would need to work their schedule around a school run. This may not be possible however, as it all depends on your particular course and the teaching slots they are working with.

In my first year, Mondays for the Autumn term consisted of a 9am-10am lecture and a 5pm-6pm lecture. Every Monday. Nothing in between. There was no point in going home to come back again in the afternoon and it was annoying but we just had to get on with things. I ended up using the time to work on my assignments in the library, go to the gym, catch up with friends from my societies. There was always something to do, and having to be there from 9am put me in the headspace of studying.

There are positive aspects to finishing a lecture at 6pm as well, as there will be less traffic after rush hour and you can get off-peak train tickets.

It certainly isn't ideal but it does prepare you for the reality of what life will be like when you start working a full time job and the travel that goes along with that.

Best wishes
Essex Student Rep - Hayley

Hey Hayley,

Thanks so much for your reply. I am driving, you have a fantastic point about it preparing you for the real world, which is very true! Also I mean it's dangerous as in in Autumn it's dark. But I am hoping I can make some and maybe do some at home. We'll see. I really want to succeed so may have to get used to traveling a bit later!

Thanks so much for your reply.
Reply 6
Original post by Driving_Mad
Watch them at home.

That's a good point Could do that as long as I get the content down 👇 it's cool!
Reply 7
Near London and I drive

I am in outer London and honestly it is still busy and plenty of people about at that time.You will get used to it quickly.
Hey,

So this is pretty much what millions of people do daily, work, finish at 6, commute home, it's no big deal, just find a good route and routine.
Hey Hayley,

Thanks so much for your reply. I am driving, you have a fantastic point about it preparing you for the real world, which is very true! Also I mean it's dangerous as in in Autumn it's dark. But I am hoping I can make some and maybe do some at home. We'll see. I really want to succeed so may have to get used to traveling a bit later!

In winter it’s going to be dark at 3 or 4pm and at 8 or 9am. If the dark is an issue for you driving then it might be worth looking into other forms of transport.
Hey,

hiii. what subject is this
Reply 11
hiii. what subject is this

Science
Original post by PQ
In winter it’s going to be dark at 3 or 4pm and at 8 or 9am. If the dark is an issue for you driving then it might be worth looking into other forms of transport.

PRSOM

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
Hey,

Didn't you factor this into your choice of university? 6pm is not dangerous - thousands of people travel in the dark.
Hey Hayley,

Hey!

I'm also a commuting student who drives about 45 mins to and from uni, so I understand the struggle :biggrin:

I'd say driving around 6 p.m. is really not dangerous! Even if it's dark, you can still see (sometimes more than in the day because of your lights, I think sometimes it's nicer driving when it's darker), and there will be other cars on the road so you'll probably encounter mainly traffic more than anything! I used to get the train back around 6/half 6 in the evening after uni in my undergrad and in winter it was freezing, so I'd say driving is so much nicer! I also like my commute there and back, to be honest, it's almost relaxing after a long day at uni (other than the traffic haha).

Honestly, I really wouldn't worry!

Best of luck with everything!

Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep (PhD Psychology)
Reply 15
Original post by University of Kent
Hey!

I'm also a commuting student who drives about 45 mins to and from uni, so I understand the struggle :biggrin:

I'd say driving around 6 p.m. is really not dangerous! Even if it's dark, you can still see (sometimes more than in the day because of your lights, I think sometimes it's nicer driving when it's darker), and there will be other cars on the road so you'll probably encounter mainly traffic more than anything! I used to get the train back around 6/half 6 in the evening after uni in my undergrad and in winter it was freezing, so I'd say driving is so much nicer! I also like my commute there and back, to be honest, it's almost relaxing after a long day at uni (other than the traffic haha).

Honestly, I really wouldn't worry!

Best of luck with everything!

Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep (PhD Psychology)

Hey Natalie,

I have had some more practice and it's not that bad. Thanks so much for your kind reply. I guess its nice to drive in the dark with the lights on because you get to feel comfy in your own car with your own music and stuff. I am going to make sure to travel safely though!

Thanks 👍
Reply 16
Original post by Muttley79
Didn't you factor this into your choice of university? 6pm is not dangerous - thousands of people travel in the dark.

Hi,

Yes I did I only live 25 mins away but have only just passed my driving test not a couple of months ago so this is all new to me traveling in the dark and light and what not. I always thought it was dangerous but given the responses I understand now it's no more dangerous than any other season of driving!

unfortunately a fact of life. Hate doing it but no choice in life
Original post by Kutie Karen
unfortunately a fact of life. Hate doing it but no choice in life

Why are ypou replying to me?
Why are ypou replying to me?

basically cos I agree with you on this and addign my comment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending