The Student Room Group

Can I get my chosen courses with these results?

I received AABBC in my Highers this year and was wondering if I have any chance of getting unconditionals for the Geography MA at Aberdeen, Edinburgh, St Andrews or Stirling. I don't plan on doing advanced highers as I compete in a sport on an international level and would like a year out to continue with it. Edinburgh uni has told me they would be willing to flag my application for international sports honours, however i'm still not sure if it is enough.
The C grade was predicted A so will be going for a remark in that as well c:
Original post by sn0wleopard
I received AABBC in my Highers this year and was wondering if I have any chance of getting unconditionals for the Geography MA at Aberdeen, Edinburgh, St Andrews or Stirling. I don't plan on doing advanced highers as I compete in a sport on an international level and would like a year out to continue with it. Edinburgh uni has told me they would be willing to flag my application for international sports honours, however i'm still not sure if it is enough.
The C grade was predicted A so will be going for a remark in that as well c:

Do you qualify for any widening admission schemes? (e.g. free school meals, SIMD20 post code, care home background etc)

Otherwise, I think you might struggle with getting offers from Edin and StA
Reply 2
Original post by Capricancer
Do you qualify for any widening admission schemes? (e.g. free school meals, SIMD20 post code, care home background etc)

Otherwise, I think you might struggle with getting offers from Edin and StA

No I don't.... just hopeful as the Edinburgh degree was in clearing this year and I had the minimum grades for it. Feeling a bit lost as my prelims were AAAAB and now having to completely reconsider
Original post by sn0wleopard
No I don't.... just hopeful as the Edinburgh degree was in clearing this year and I had the minimum grades for it. Feeling a bit lost as my prelims were AAAAB and now having to completely reconsider

The minimum grades for Edinburgh are usually for students who come from a disadvantaged background so they have lower requirements to accommodate their circumstances.

I'm pretty sure you won't get unconditionals, however if you take on more Highers in your last year and get strong predictions (+ the usual of strong personal statement + teacher references), you may have a good chance of a conditional. I hope you get similarly strong predictions next year :smile:

For reference, Edinburgh's MA Geography course had 319 applications and gave out 72 offers (23% offer rate) and St Andrews had 95 applications for 36 offers (38% offer rate). These are stats for Scots/EU students.
Reply 4
Original post by Capricancer
The minimum grades for Edinburgh are usually for students who come from a disadvantaged background so they have lower requirements to accommodate their circumstances.

I'm pretty sure you won't get unconditionals, however if you take on more Highers in your last year and get strong predictions (+ the usual of strong personal statement + teacher references), you may have a good chance of a conditional. I hope you get similarly strong predictions next year :smile:

For reference, Edinburgh's MA Geography course had 319 applications and gave out 72 offers (23% offer rate) and St Andrews had 95 applications for 36 offers (38% offer rate). These are stats for Scots/EU students.

I have decided to do AH Geography AH English and H Chemistry to try and get some conditionals! Not sure if it's a futile effort or not though....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending