The Student Room Group

not meeting the conditional offer requirements for your desired sixth form

Hey so I applied to a sixth form earlier this year and my predicted grade for science was a 7 (I need a 6 to do psychology which was once of my options). I received a conditional offer for a 6 in science and a bunch of other requirements. I'm worried about whether I'll be able to meet this requirement as my school has been a mess since our head teacher left last year. We've had a shortage of teachers and I didn't have a chemistry teacher for half the year and I currently don't have a physics teacher even after I asked to move classes. I spoke to my school about this and complained but they said they couldn't do anything. I would love to have studied science myself at home but I have other subjects to worry about and my school crams the courses into 1 year so I haven't had time. I was getting 8s in my y10 mocks but now I'm really concerned especially after how badly biology paper 1 went last week. So I have 2 questions. 1) will not meeting the requirements for 1 of my chosen subjects even if I've met all the other requirements mean they will reject me? And 2) should I ask them to change my options just incase so I don't get rejected on enrollment day?
Please help!
Original post by fadinqss
Hey so I applied to a sixth form earlier this year and my predicted grade for science was a 7 (I need a 6 to do psychology which was once of my options). I received a conditional offer for a 6 in science and a bunch of other requirements. I'm worried about whether I'll be able to meet this requirement as my school has been a mess since our head teacher left last year. We've had a shortage of teachers and I didn't have a chemistry teacher for half the year and I currently don't have a physics teacher even after I asked to move classes. I spoke to my school about this and complained but they said they couldn't do anything. I would love to have studied science myself at home but I have other subjects to worry about and my school crams the courses into 1 year so I haven't had time. I was getting 8s in my y10 mocks but now I'm really concerned especially after how badly biology paper 1 went last week. So I have 2 questions. 1) will not meeting the requirements for 1 of my chosen subjects even if I've met all the other requirements mean they will reject me? And 2) should I ask them to change my options just incase so I don't get rejected on enrollment day?
Please help!

Hi @fadinqss,

Try not to worry! I’m sure this is a big thing on your mind but try to remain calm.
It sounds like you haven’t had the best time with your science lessons recently but try not to put yourself down about the exams. Your mock grades are clearly impressive so have some faith in your ability.

If you’re still feeling stressed, I would recommend a couple of things…
You could try getting in touch with your chosen sixth form about the entry requirements to see if your grades will impact your chosen subjects.
If you would really like to study psychology, I wouldn’t jump straight into changing your options.
On results day, you can contact your sixth form if your grades aren’t what you wanted and can discuss whether you can still study your chosen subjects, or if you should change subject choices. But I would leave your choices until then if you’re happy with them as you may surprise yourself with your grades.

Good luck with the rest of your exams!
Hope this helps,
Emily
Student Ambassador at Birmingham City University
Reply 2
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @fadinqss,

Try not to worry! I’m sure this is a big thing on your mind but try to remain calm.
It sounds like you haven’t had the best time with your science lessons recently but try not to put yourself down about the exams. Your mock grades are clearly impressive so have some faith in your ability.

If you’re still feeling stressed, I would recommend a couple of things…
You could try getting in touch with your chosen sixth form about the entry requirements to see if your grades will impact your chosen subjects.
If you would really like to study psychology, I wouldn’t jump straight into changing your options.
On results day, you can contact your sixth form if your grades aren’t what you wanted and can discuss whether you can still study your chosen subjects, or if you should change subject choices. But I would leave your choices until then if you’re happy with them as you may surprise yourself with your grades.

Good luck with the rest of your exams!
Hope this helps,
Emily
Student Ambassador at Birmingham City University

Hey thank you so much for your advice!

I was 3 marks from the grade I needed to study psychology but I explained my situation to my chosen sixth form and showed them my mock papers and they let me study psychology thankfully :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending