The Student Room Group

Clearing

Hello I'm Shay and I'm new to the student room and my question is about clearing . I originally planned to take a gap year but ended up changing my mind so I ended up not applying for university and now I'm stressed because I don’t know how to apply through clearing and my friend introduced me to priority clearing but I don’t know what it is or how to apply for priority clearing at my chosen university.
Hi Shay,

It's ok a lot of students do what you have done and change their mind about a gap year! Most universities have a priority clearing hotline, I will use ourselves as an example, but I imagine it will be fairly similar for your chosen university.

For us, you register for priority clearing either online or by ringing the clearing hotline (0151 291 3636 for us). The university will take your details down and ask you what date you expect to receive your Level 3 results. From that point on you are all registered and on the day you receive your results, the university will ring you to take you through a clearing form! The clearing form itself just includes some personal details, your Level 3 results, and the course you are hoping to apply for. Again, this might be a slightly different process for each university but it will probably follow a similar pattern.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask!
Good luck,
Mike
Original post by Shay,
Hello I'm Shay and I'm new to the student room and my question is about clearing . I originally planned to take a gap year but ended up changing my mind so I ended up not applying for university and now I'm stressed because I don’t know how to apply through clearing and my friend introduced me to priority clearing but I don’t know what it is or how to apply for priority clearing at my chosen university.

“Priority clearing” is just a mailing/phone back list you sign up for with an individual university.

if you want to use clearing then you first need to complete and submit a UCAS application asap. That means you need to draft a personal statement and talk to someone about urgently getting an academic reference.

You can contact universities before you submit your UCAS application but you won’t be able to accept any clearing provisional offers until your UCAS application is submitted. Lots of universities will have deadlines on their provisional offers between a few hours and a few days so getting your application sorted should be your top priority.
Reply 3
Thank you soo much, this has put my mind at ease.
Reply 4
Thank you so much for this information and if it’s alright to ask ,is there an alternative way to apply for university through clearing without using UCAS.
Reply 5
Original post by Shay,
Thank you so much for this information and if it’s alright to ask ,is there an alternative way to apply for university through clearing without using UCAS.

No.
Original post by Shay,

Clearing is part of UCAS. All clearing applications have to go through UCAS eventually to be finalised.
Original post by Shay,

Hi Shay

It is quite common for students to change their minds regarding taking a gap year, so don't over worry!

Most Universities offer priority clearing, where you can register your interest and apply for courses. It is often easy to register for priority clearing. Using our University as an example, you can simply do this online or over the phone.

Regarding your question about applications via UCAS. I would recommend looking at each of the Universities' websites that you are interested in applying to. Some Universities may offer alternative application routes.

For the University of Kent, it is not compulosry for you to apply via UCAS for clearing. Instead, if we make you an offer, we will submit your details on UCAS for you. More information and contact details can be found on: https://www.kent.ac.uk/clearing/how-to-apply#priority-clearing

I hope this was helpful.
If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

Chloe :smile:
- University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending