The Student Room Group

what’s the meaning of the life?

what do you believe is the point of all this? is there more after death? when i think about it i freak tf out but i’m interested in what people think🤷🏼*♀️

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by evelyn x
what do you believe is the point of all this? is there more after death? when i think about it i freak tf out but i’m interested in what people think🤷🏼*♀️

To use the gift of conciousness in order to create the biggest effect in shaping the world and universe.
And use the gift of rationality and reason to decide what effect that should be.
Life has an extraordinarily deep meaning and purpose, and it is amazingly fascinating when understood. Many of us are unaware of it, that that is why we suffer life instead of basking in the glory of its purpose and beauty.
Let me being by summarising my entire answer into one simple paragraph.Life provides a platform for gathering experience for our consciousness so that it can evolve and become better, wider and more encompassing. This evolution, expansion (or whatever you may call it) goes on endlessly deeper and deeper and far beyond the human life with which we are familiar. The purpose of life is therefore evolution. It is the singular purpose, and nothing else. Absolutely nothing else!Life is not about a meaningless thing like being born, growing up and dying. It is not about school, college, grades, profession, working, earning money, building houses, buying cars, pub, marriage, having sex, producing children, becoming prosperous, more prosperous, and then becoming old, and dying. It is not about going to the temple, mosque, church or living a pious life with the name go God on our lips. It is not about becoming great rulers and bringing reforms to society, or a tyrant dictator. It is not about accumulating knowledge or accumulating wealth. It is not about feeding the poor, philanthropy, or religion. It is not even a quest for God, to find God and become united with God. These are all peripheral aspects of life, the outcomes of living different types of life, or simply stated the side-effects of the sole purpose of life - evolution.What is this evolution? Why am I so emphatic that evolution is the sole purpose of life? How does life help our evolution?Life means consciousness. Each one of us has a particular consciousness, an individual consciousness. This consciousness is driven by our inner intelligences. It gives us a sense of awareness about us and about our surrounding. It gives us a set of understand too, and equipped with this understanding we live our lives. My consciousness feels to be different from yours. Someone’s consciousness may be a wider (or more awake) than another. So we have different grades of consciousness, though within the human kingdom, among human beings all the grades are within a narrow band. It is similar, but not identical. That is because, as individuals (individual human beings) we have evolved differently. We may have young souls as well as older souls among us. Older souls will obviously have a slightly different (or greater) consciousness than a younger one.Animals have consciousness too. Even the plants have consciousness. But this consciousness is of a very different kind (less evolved) in comparison to human consciousness.There is also a continuum in consciousness. It is not that I have jumped into this world from nothingness when I was born, and I will jump out into nothingness when I die. There must be a past, and a future too. That perhaps explains why one is born rich and another poor, why one struggles and suffers while another happily enjoys his life and commits every sin. This means, there is a cause-effect law, though many of us are unable to recognise it. This continuum is there in life and afterlife, and in life once again. Rebirth? Yes, you got it right. There must be rebirth, as otherwise there wouldn't be a continuum.Suppose we are able to understand the continuum in human life, is there a continuum across the different types of life like the plant life, animal life and human life? Yes, there has to be continuum. Human beings cannot just pop in from nowhere and so suddenly as super intelligent beings in comparison to the animals. There must be something preceding the human kingdom. It is the animal kingdom. They are the animals. And, animals also have consciousness like human beings, but a very different consciousness. Within the animal kingdom there are different grades of animals and some are ore intelligent than the others. So there is a continuum too within the animal kingdom and lesser intelligent animals evolve into more intelligent animals. Not that the bodies change like a mouse changing into a wolf and then a dog. It is not Darwinian evolution but a different kind of evolution which happens in parallel to Darwinian evolution because of which the consciousness which once operated as a mouse, evolves to become a wolf and then a dog.Similarly, the animal kingdom has a precedence too. It is the vegetable kingdom or plants who have spiritually evolved into animals, and then finally into human beings. And, human beings will also evolve spiritually further to become members of a still higher kingdom of life (called the Dhyan Chohanic kingdom of life) about which I will not describe here. Event the vegetable kingdom has a precedence, but I will not go into that too.If you have followed so far, do you see what is happening? The consciousness that was once a plant-consciousness has evolved and expanded into animal-consciousness and then into human-consciousness. It has mutated and expanded. This mutation, this expansion of consciousness has happened because of some type of growth or some type of change. No change can ever happen in a static field just because time has gone by. It can only happen when because of the living as a plant or animal, something has been gathered, learnt or acquired by the plant or animal consciousness.Terrestrial life provides this platform. Non terrestrial life also provides a similar platform for growth, but I will not go into that. Though slightly unrelated, you may see my answer to the question Let's suppose an afterlife exists. Do animals have an afterlife? Do plants have an afterlife? Do aliens have an afterlife? for a little more on this.Terrestrial life provides experience for the evolution of consciousness, not only for plants but for animals and human beings too. The type of experience it provides is of course very different for the different kingdoms, yet it is experience which results in the growth or change of consciousness.Now come back to human life. What is human life all about? Isn't it to understand relationships and interactions not only among human beings but also with the environment, with nature, with plants and animals too? Doesn't life teach us about joys and suffering and what causes it? Doesn't it teach us about laws of nature and how to live in harmony with other fellow beings and nature? Doesn't it teach us about psychological fears, domination, greed, successes, failures, accumulation of knowledge, development of fixed beliefs and prejudices, and what all these things ultimately lead us into?All this learning does not come in a single life. It comes in slow and gradual patches over a series of lives, from what we have learnt in each life. We may not be able to consciously connect or interconnect these patches of learning happening over many lives; we will never remember them in out brain. But our soul, the eternal storehouse, keeps the distilled learning or wisdom intact. In animals, this is reflected in their instinct. And, equipped with this distilled wisdom, we become slightly better or wiser in a later life. This continues to happen life after life. Each time we become a little wiser or better. Our understanding evolves and with the evolution of our understanding our inner intelligence changes too. This results in a change in our consciousness. That is how consciousness evolves, because we have lived a life and learnt a new thing or two.When your consciousness has evolved to a certain level or threshold of maturity, you go beyond the human kingdom into a higher kingdom of life. You then have a far greater degree of freedom and you are no longer constrained into human limitations. But even then the evolution continues.If you understand all this, you will easily understand how important life is, how grand is its purpose. You will then begin to value life and treasure life much more than you do today. You will discover "tongues in trees, books in the running brooks, sermons on stones and good in everything".Having understood so far, how best can one live her or his "poor miserable life"? What should we do? Should we go to the church and pray, or prepare to do well in our college for good grades, become like Mother Teresa and serve the destitute, or do we become a preacher and start spreading the word of God?Nothing of that sort is necessary. You need not do any of that. It is silly! Just live your life, whether good or miserable, treasuring it always but by remaining vibrantly alert, watchful and aware. Learn awareness in daily life. For, if you are not aware, you are partly asleep. Many of us are actually that way. We are half asleep even when we are not sleeping. We observe something but not everything. We rarely observe ourselves, the way the mind behaves and how it acts. When we are studying we cut out our senses to such an extent we fail to observe and become aware of the sound in the streets or a bird singing or the noise in the neighbourhood. We live a life like a drug addict who may be perpetually on a high or in a daze. Thats not living!When you do that (ie practice awareness) while going about your life as you would have otherwise done, you will easily recognise you can really do almost next to nothing to change the circumstances. Things will happen to you for which you have little control. And, in the midst of that to will find how you make so much of effort for a better life, to become something big, great and so on. You will see how your mind enters into a gloom when you do not succeed in you self-invented goals. My suggestion is, live your normal life as you would have otherwise done, but just remain aware, fully aware, of everything around you and about your own self. If thoughts enter your mind (it will always enter) observe the thoughts too - how the mind generates them, how you respond to it, and why you respond to it. Just keep observing!This is the right art of living and this will bring you the fastest learning in any single life for the evolution of your consciousness.The sole purpose of life is evolution of consciousness.
Reply 3
Original post by have
To use the gift of conciousness in order to create the biggest effect in shaping the world and universe.
And use the gift of rationality and reason to decide what effect that should be.

Sounds like a user guide for radicalisation.
Reply 4
Original post by Boss987

Let me being by summarising my entire answer into one simple paragraph.

Boss, just because you don't use any line breaks doesn't make it one paragraph lmaoo. It's also not simple
Reply 5
Original post by Vinny C
Sounds like a user guide for radicalisation.

Individuals should be their own radicals. Why live to mimic others? Robots can already do that very well.
Original post by Boss987
Life has an extraordinarily deep meaning and purpose, and it is amazingly fascinating when understood. Many of us are unaware of it, that that is why we suffer life instead of basking in the glory of its purpose and beauty.
Let me being by summarising my entire answer into one simple paragraph.Life provides a platform for gathering experience for our consciousness so that it can evolve and become better, wider and more encompassing. This evolution, expansion (or whatever you may call it) goes on endlessly deeper and deeper and far beyond the human life with which we are familiar. The purpose of life is therefore evolution. It is the singular purpose, and nothing else. Absolutely nothing else!Life is not about a meaningless thing like being born, growing up and dying. It is not about school, college, grades, profession, working, earning money, building houses, buying cars, pub, marriage, having sex, producing children, becoming prosperous, more prosperous, and then becoming old, and dying. It is not about going to the temple, mosque, church or living a pious life with the name go God on our lips. It is not about becoming great rulers and bringing reforms to society, or a tyrant dictator. It is not about accumulating knowledge or accumulating wealth. It is not about feeding the poor, philanthropy, or religion. It is not even a quest for God, to find God and become united with God. These are all peripheral aspects of life, the outcomes of living different types of life, or simply stated the side-effects of the sole purpose of life - evolution.What is this evolution? Why am I so emphatic that evolution is the sole purpose of life? How does life help our evolution?Life means consciousness. Each one of us has a particular consciousness, an individual consciousness. This consciousness is driven by our inner intelligences. It gives us a sense of awareness about us and about our surrounding. It gives us a set of understand too, and equipped with this understanding we live our lives. My consciousness feels to be different from yours. Someone’s consciousness may be a wider (or more awake) than another. So we have different grades of consciousness, though within the human kingdom, among human beings all the grades are within a narrow band. It is similar, but not identical. That is because, as individuals (individual human beings) we have evolved differently. We may have young souls as well as older souls among us. Older souls will obviously have a slightly different (or greater) consciousness than a younger one.Animals have consciousness too. Even the plants have consciousness. But this consciousness is of a very different kind (less evolved) in comparison to human consciousness.There is also a continuum in consciousness. It is not that I have jumped into this world from nothingness when I was born, and I will jump out into nothingness when I die. There must be a past, and a future too. That perhaps explains why one is born rich and another poor, why one struggles and suffers while another happily enjoys his life and commits every sin. This means, there is a cause-effect law, though many of us are unable to recognise it. This continuum is there in life and afterlife, and in life once again. Rebirth? Yes, you got it right. There must be rebirth, as otherwise there wouldn't be a continuum.Suppose we are able to understand the continuum in human life, is there a continuum across the different types of life like the plant life, animal life and human life? Yes, there has to be continuum. Human beings cannot just pop in from nowhere and so suddenly as super intelligent beings in comparison to the animals. There must be something preceding the human kingdom. It is the animal kingdom. They are the animals. And, animals also have consciousness like human beings, but a very different consciousness. Within the animal kingdom there are different grades of animals and some are ore intelligent than the others. So there is a continuum too within the animal kingdom and lesser intelligent animals evolve into more intelligent animals. Not that the bodies change like a mouse changing into a wolf and then a dog. It is not Darwinian evolution but a different kind of evolution which happens in parallel to Darwinian evolution because of which the consciousness which once operated as a mouse, evolves to become a wolf and then a dog.Similarly, the animal kingdom has a precedence too. It is the vegetable kingdom or plants who have spiritually evolved into animals, and then finally into human beings. And, human beings will also evolve spiritually further to become members of a still higher kingdom of life (called the Dhyan Chohanic kingdom of life) about which I will not describe here. Event the vegetable kingdom has a precedence, but I will not go into that too.If you have followed so far, do you see what is happening? The consciousness that was once a plant-consciousness has evolved and expanded into animal-consciousness and then into human-consciousness. It has mutated and expanded. This mutation, this expansion of consciousness has happened because of some type of growth or some type of change. No change can ever happen in a static field just because time has gone by. It can only happen when because of the living as a plant or animal, something has been gathered, learnt or acquired by the plant or animal consciousness.Terrestrial life provides this platform. Non terrestrial life also provides a similar platform for growth, but I will not go into that. Though slightly unrelated, you may see my answer to the question Let's suppose an afterlife exists. Do animals have an afterlife? Do plants have an afterlife? Do aliens have an afterlife? for a little more on this.Terrestrial life provides experience for the evolution of consciousness, not only for plants but for animals and human beings too. The type of experience it provides is of course very different for the different kingdoms, yet it is experience which results in the growth or change of consciousness.Now come back to human life. What is human life all about? Isn't it to understand relationships and interactions not only among human beings but also with the environment, with nature, with plants and animals too? Doesn't life teach us about joys and suffering and what causes it? Doesn't it teach us about laws of nature and how to live in harmony with other fellow beings and nature? Doesn't it teach us about psychological fears, domination, greed, successes, failures, accumulation of knowledge, development of fixed beliefs and prejudices, and what all these things ultimately lead us into?All this learning does not come in a single life. It comes in slow and gradual patches over a series of lives, from what we have learnt in each life. We may not be able to consciously connect or interconnect these patches of learning happening over many lives; we will never remember them in out brain. But our soul, the eternal storehouse, keeps the distilled learning or wisdom intact. In animals, this is reflected in their instinct. And, equipped with this distilled wisdom, we become slightly better or wiser in a later life. This continues to happen life after life. Each time we become a little wiser or better. Our understanding evolves and with the evolution of our understanding our inner intelligence changes too. This results in a change in our consciousness. That is how consciousness evolves, because we have lived a life and learnt a new thing or two.When your consciousness has evolved to a certain level or threshold of maturity, you go beyond the human kingdom into a higher kingdom of life. You then have a far greater degree of freedom and you are no longer constrained into human limitations. But even then the evolution continues.If you understand all this, you will easily understand how important life is, how grand is its purpose. You will then begin to value life and treasure life much more than you do today. You will discover "tongues in trees, books in the running brooks, sermons on stones and good in everything".Having understood so far, how best can one live her or his "poor miserable life"? What should we do? Should we go to the church and pray, or prepare to do well in our college for good grades, become like Mother Teresa and serve the destitute, or do we become a preacher and start spreading the word of God?Nothing of that sort is necessary. You need not do any of that. It is silly! Just live your life, whether good or miserable, treasuring it always but by remaining vibrantly alert, watchful and aware. Learn awareness in daily life. For, if you are not aware, you are partly asleep. Many of us are actually that way. We are half asleep even when we are not sleeping. We observe something but not everything. We rarely observe ourselves, the way the mind behaves and how it acts. When we are studying we cut out our senses to such an extent we fail to observe and become aware of the sound in the streets or a bird singing or the noise in the neighbourhood. We live a life like a drug addict who may be perpetually on a high or in a daze. Thats not living!When you do that (ie practice awareness) while going about your life as you would have otherwise done, you will easily recognise you can really do almost next to nothing to change the circumstances. Things will happen to you for which you have little control. And, in the midst of that to will find how you make so much of effort for a better life, to become something big, great and so on. You will see how your mind enters into a gloom when you do not succeed in you self-invented goals. My suggestion is, live your normal life as you would have otherwise done, but just remain aware, fully aware, of everything around you and about your own self. If thoughts enter your mind (it will always enter) observe the thoughts too - how the mind generates them, how you respond to it, and why you respond to it. Just keep observing!This is the right art of living and this will bring you the fastest learning in any single life for the evolution of your consciousness.The sole purpose of life is evolution of consciousness.

That is so deep and must have taken you ages to write! Your argument is really well written and mature and if I could write like that one day then that'd be brilliant.
we're here to glorify God 😉
There is no meaning. We are just a result of a strange and accidental event that led to life developing. We are just a load of chemical reactions and that's it. But there's no point dwelling on it, we can find a sense of purpose (false though it may be) by perusing our passions and pushing happiness. Just try to live a happy life and maybe not prevent others from doing so too. When we die we will be forgotten about most likely within 100 years so don't worry about anything. Your mistakes will mean nothing in the fullness of time.

Tea. Tea is life.
Reply 10
This:
[video="youtube;MBRqu0YOH14"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBRqu0YOH14[/video]
(bare with the context)

I don't view religious organisations as anything special above a scout group or language club, it's just a group of people coming together for something in common. If it obeys the law of the land, I'm fine with it. If they don't, well I don't accept a religious text as a means to justify anything.

I don't see why life should by any more complicated than having as much enjoyment as I can from it and helping others get that too ( equal priorities). In some progressive nations it can even be said that everything from defensive policy to traffic laws stem from this belief. My own political beliefs do, too.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by TomDRV
This:
[video="youtube;MBRqu0YOH14"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBRqu0YOH14[/video]
(bare with the context)

I don't view religious organisations as anything special above a scout group or language club, it's just a group of people coming together for something in common. If it obeys the law of the land, I'm fine with it. If they don't, well I don't accept a religious text as a means to justify anything.

I don't see why life should by any more complicated than having as much enjoyment as I can from it and helping others get that too ( equal priorities). In some progressive nations it can even be said that everything from defensive policy to traffic laws stem from this belief. My own political beliefs do, too.

just watched that video- it was so calming and eye opening, thanks for sending it!! has definitely changed the way i think.
The truth is that the meaning of life is whatever you make it - 'meaning' is a man-made concept that does not exist inherently in anything and is completely subjective. Meaning is a concept like beauty, there is no objective definition of beauty, and you'll often find that what is beautiful to one person may not be beautiful to another, and that some may find one mans idea of beauty to be the complete opposite, and so too with meaning- what one finds meaningful another might find utterly insignificant.

In answering the question I would say there is no such thing as a meaning to life in the sense of meaning being an external thing to be sought and found. In the sense of it being something that comes from within, in my experience I can find meaning to life in many different things, and I also believe that meaning can change and often doesn't remain completely constant.
Reply 13
There is no meaning.
There is no purpose other than to reproduce and pass on our genes, just like every other species on the planet.

The difference is that evolution has provided us with big enough brains to think that we are somehow different and that life must have some sort of purpose and meaning.
The trick is to realise and accept that this is it. Our one chance. However, in the end it doesn't really matter whether you spent your life volunteering for disaster charities of mugging pensioners to pay for you crack habit. The universe doesn't care and nor does the majority of the population of the planet. In 10, 100, 1000 years, no one will remember you or what you did (unless you do something spectacular, which is unlikely).

Still, that doesn't mean that you can't enjoy your brief moment of existence. And let's face it, being nice, being creative, being adventurous feels good - so why not?
(edited 5 years ago)
Life... any life is rare. We are here to make a difference, hopefully for the better. Why is this such a difficult question when it has so obvious an answer?
Reply 16
Original post by Vinny C
Life... any life is rare.
Life is exceedingly common. In fact, every living thing (billions upon billions of them) possesses it.

We are here to make a difference, hopefully for the better. Why is this such a difficult question when it has so obvious an answer?
No. We "are here to" reproduce. That is all. Any "difference" we make is through personal choice but is ultimately meaningless.
Original post by QE2
Life is exceedingly common. In fact, every living thing (billions upon billions of them) possesses it.

No. We "are here to" reproduce. That is all. Any "difference" we make is through personal choice but is ultimately meaningless.

Life... any life, is rare. I find it difficult to accept it is meaningless.
Original post by QE2

It is only exceedingly common here... been to Mars recently?
Theres heaven after death.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending