The Student Room Group

Why are we designed to suffer?

Pain is imbued into our very existences but why do we give meaning to our suffering? Is it just a means of control, or a way of exerting power or authority unto others?
it is a way to not burn yourself with hot oil unkowingly whilst cooking
pain teaches us whats bad
pain is a teacher
pain is a goverment of us
pain is a god in some ways
pain hurts
Original post by big dreamer 89
it is a way to not burn yourself with hot oil unkowingly whilst cooking
pain teaches us whats bad
pain is a teacher
pain is a goverment of us
pain is a god in some ways
pain hurts

We avoid physical pain because we evolved to respond to stimuli that could cause an adverse change to our internal conditions. Pain controls us, correct, but it simply has no further purpose than to propagate us as beings. The pain that causes real suffering is that generated by our conscious selves. Why do we suffer, is the question.
We give meaning to suffering to rationalise it, since there's no avoiding it and it's an integral part of the human experience. And while some may disagree, I think pain and suffering puts into context the happy and joyful moments of life and makes them all the more valuable.
Original post by Scotland Yard
We give meaning to suffering to rationalise it, since there's no avoiding it and it's an integral part of the human experience. And while some may disagree, I think pain and suffering puts into context the happy and joyful moments of life and makes them all the more valuable.

Yes, there is a degree of relativism to these things. However, I do not believe that we require suffering to cherish good experiences. Cholera caused suffering and would supposedly give meaning to the happy moments of life. The reality that stands that at first there was the physical manifestation of pain and suffering, before it transcended boundaries and took form as biochemical emotion. Suffering came first, happiness manifested itself through language and communication.

It staggers the mind as to the nonchalance of people who talk about the present as if it were catastrophic. As L.P. Hartley said, "The past is a foreign country, they do things differently there."

I believe we need to appreciate our position within history and that means reconciling with our brutal and barbaric past. We still contain these vestigial traits, sooner or later we shall have to come to terms with them.
Original post by quagmiretoilet
Yes, there is a degree of relativism to these things. However, I do not believe that we require suffering to cherish good experiences. Cholera caused suffering and would supposedly give meaning to the happy moments of life. The reality that stands that at first there was the physical manifestation of pain and suffering, before it transcended boundaries and took form as biochemical emotion. Suffering came first, happiness manifested itself through language and communication.

It staggers the mind as to the nonchalance of people who talk about the present as if it were catastrophic. As L.P. Hartley said, "The past is a foreign country, they do things differently there."

I believe we need to appreciate our position within history and that means reconciling with our brutal and barbaric past. We still contain these vestigial traits, sooner or later we shall have to come to terms with them.

maybe its the brains punishment for you letting something bad happen or mabye its a feeling desighned to make us cling to the things we cherish and ourselves as to avoid this feeling
Original post by big dreamer 89
maybe its the brains punishment for you letting something bad happen or mabye its a feeling desighned to make us cling to the things we cherish and ourselves as to avoid this feeling

im a new yr9 so dont expect this too be too good :s-smilie:
I stubbed my big toe. It was painful. Pain usually means danger at least biologically.
Reply 8
Unfair fact everything is planned out for us since we where born. You have to give a really got argument why isn't. Welcome to the universe.
Original post by Other_Owl
Unfair fact everything is planned out for us since we where born. You have to give a really got argument why isn't. Welcome to the universe.

I disagree that everything is planned in a functional aspect but I do not believe we have free will to act out that which we please.

Quick Reply

Latest