The Student Room Group

Can't believe how time has passed

So kind of waking up in the mornings in my mid forties and can't of really reconcile how time has passed. I mean it was only about twenty five Christmas's ago I was 20 lol. Twenty five years may sound a lot, moreso when you are younger but it's not really that much. A year passes fairly quickly and when you have done twenty five of them on top of twenty then you're really in a different age category.

On top of that stuff changes, places I used to drink in, knocked down. The FE college site I went to do my A'levels in closed up possibly to be knocked down for redevelopment. Kind of like my past is being erased, not all of it but stuff where I identify my youth with. Society kind of changed too. It's not that I don't like change, it can be interesting it, but I kind of miss how things were. For me aspects of how things were, were better. Can be small things, fashion and stuff people wore and also how people were, the people you got to know. Many of course now moved on or even passed on, seems strange. It's not like I had a big connection at all but you kind of remember people & places how they were.

I often kind of wish I could wake up and do over. I might make a hash of it all but in a different way who knows. Kind of difficult at that age and not having much to go by. Relationships with girls was kind of absent also. I knew some and seemed almost close to forming a relationship sometimes but it just never really happened though don't think I was the only one, a lot of people were studies focused then. In truth I took studies far more serious than I perhaps should off.

So I don't know, I enjoyed what I did/could back then but kind of wish I got more out personally. Still as they say life isn't a fairy tale and probably lookin at it with rose tinted specs possibly. Just kind of wished more had developed from those days really.

Not really sure where I'm going with this, feel free to comment if you wish. Just kind of wanted to get it off my chest really. And for those of you young around 20 or whatever I guess I would say make a stab at any opportunity relationship or otherwise taking care not to be foolish of course as looking back it's easy to be left wondering.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
So kind of waking up in the mornings in my mid forties and can't of really reconcile how time has passed. I mean it was only about twenty five Christmas's ago I was 20 lol. Twenty five years may sound a lot, moreso when you are younger but it's not really that much. A year passes fairly quickly and when you have done twenty five of them on top of twenty then you're really in a different age category.

On top of that stuff changes, places I used to drink in, knocked down. The FE college site I went to do my A'levels in closed up possibly to be knocked down for redevelopment. Kind of like my past is being erased, not all of it but stuff where I identify my youth with. Society kind of changed too. It's not that I don't like change, it can be interesting it, but I kind of miss how things were. For me aspects of how things were, were better. Can be small things, fashion and stuff people wore and also how people were, the people you got to know. Many of course now moved on or even passed on, seems strange. It's not like I had a big connection at all but you kind of remember people & places how they were.

I often kind of wish I could wake up and do over. I might make a hash of it all but in a different way who knows. Kind of difficult at that age and not having much to go by. Relationships with girls was kind of absent also. I knew some and seemed almost close to forming a relationship sometimes but it just never really happened though don't think I was the only one, a lot of people were studies focused then. In truth I took studies far more serious than I perhaps should off.

So I don't know, I enjoyed what I did/could back then but kind of wish I got more out personally. Still as they say life isn't a fairy tale and probably lookin at it with rose tinted specs possibly. Just kind of wished more had developed from those days really.

Not really sure where I'm going with this, feel free to comment if you wish. Just kind of wanted to get it off my chest really. And for those of you young around 20 or whatever I guess I would say make a stab at any opportunity relationship or otherwise taking care not to be foolish of course as looking back it's easy to be left wondering.

ok
Reply 2
im much younger than you but i kind of get the same thing. i remember being 18 like it was yesterday and now im less than 6 months away from turning 30 its crazy. i remember being something like 21 or 22 and watching gogglebox on the episode where one of the people on it, scarlett moffatt i think, was turning 25 and i remember thinking wow 25 sounds so old and grown up. not old as in granny but you know what i mean old as in compared to 21 yr old person. and now of course that im 29, 25 now seems relatively young to me. cant really believe this is the last year of my 20s but i guess everything is relative though, maybe when im in mid 30s 29 will seem too young or whatever but its just so true that for some reason time seems to go so much more quickly as an adult. i remember my childhood and school years seemed like they were eternal (in a good way). but my adulthood has flown by so incredibly quickly that its actually quite hard to process.
Reply 3
im much younger than you but i kind of get the same thing. i remember being 18 like it was yesterday and now im less than 6 months away from turning 30 its crazy. i remember being something like 21 or 22 and watching gogglebox on the episode where one of the people on it, scarlett moffatt i think, was turning 25 and i remember thinking wow 25 sounds so old and grown up. not old as in granny but you know what i mean old as in compared to 21 yr old person. and now of course that im 29, 25 now seems relatively young to me. cant really believe this is the last year of my 20s but i guess everything is relative though, maybe when im in mid 30s 29 will seem too young or whatever but its just so true that for some reason time seems to go so much more quickly as an adult. i remember my childhood and school years seemed like they were eternal (in a good way). but my adulthood has flown by so incredibly quickly that its actually quite hard to process.

I feel the exact same and I'm currently 22
Reply 4

im 16 lol
im 16 lol

same

but also a message to the original poster - i totally get what you mean, despite my young age. my advice would be to (as cliche as this sounds) try to stop reminiscing negatively about the past, and make new memories and develop yourself now, so when you're even older (like 55-65+) you will be glad that you didn't wallow around. if you feel any regrets about not living life like you wanted to, write all the things you regret not doing and do them now. well maybe not now now haha but try tick them off in the next few years or however long you think it'll take. point is, mid forties is still pretty young, even though it may not seem like it. do something now so when you look back on yourself in the future, you will have less regrets and be grateful for yourself for taking action
this is a bit personal lmao but a similar thing happened to me this morning (but a totally different scenario). last night i ended up falling asleep at around midnight and someone in my house had to wake up at 5 in the morning as they had to leave at 8. however they woke me up (and i desperately need sleep, being in the middle of exam season). anyway, i was up until 8 and i had wanted to get out of bed because i didn't want to waste the day but i was so angry with myself and that person because i had only gotten like 5 hours sleep. but then i stopped and thought if i go back to sleep and try and get more hours in, later on today i would be more happier than if i had just gotten out of bed at 8. and right now as i'm typing this, i am very grateful i got those extra hours sleep, because if i had carried on with my angry feelings and just got out of bed because i lost all hope, i would be in a much worse position now than if i hadn't gotten more sleep. i would literally have been half dead and extremely unproductive haha

basically, what i'm trying to say is imagine yourself when you're older. would you rather look back on yourself as wallowing in the regrets and not doing anything about it, or look back on yourself when you took action and made yourself happier? do whatever your older self will thank you for. you said you wanted to do your life over, well change your life now. turn over a new leaf. develop yourself now in the ways you wanted to before.
Reply 6
im 16 lol

before you know it youll be 30 lol. life really does go by quickkk

Without wanting so sound like a science fiction character, time is relative.

When you think about a year as not just a "year", but as a percentage of your life, it's understandable how years actually fly by when you're older and take forever when you're young. For instance, for a 5 year old, a year is literally 20% of their life, so from their perspective, it's a long time. On the other hand, when you're 50, it's only 2% of your life. Unfortunately, this means that as you get older, the years are going to literally fly by faster and faster. IF someone could invent something that put the brakes on time (or a life "pause" button... just so we can take it all in), I'm sure they'd be a Nobel Prize winner.

TBF, it's not really surprising when you step back and look at the bigger picture look how how much the whole world has changed in 25 years... Think of all the major life events that has happened in that time, and how they've shaped the world (e.g. Princess Diana's death; September 11th / July 7th; Brexit; COVID; all the Politicians / celebrities sex scandals etc. etc) and the lasting legacies (good or bad) that these events have left. Not to mention how things like the Internet and Mobile Phones exploded in that time (both of these existed in the 90's, but nothing like they are today)... even the way we watched TV was completely different. Still 25 years is a significant amount of time (it's 1/4 of a century ffs), so it's expected that a lot has changed since then. Who knows where we will be in another 25 years time?

I think everyone will give themselves a hard time about things they've done... once they've had the benefit of hindsight. But rather than doing that, why don't you look at the opportunities you've got around you now? You've got the benefit of experience and wisdom (I don't know what your health is like, but I'm assuming it's at least OK?). So, as another poster said, why not do some stuff now? Anything you do is 1/2 chance. Maybe you'll be the pigeon, maybe you'll be the statue... but at least you know, rather than spending the rest of your life saying "What if..."

I think Baz Luhrmann said it best in his hit song Everybody's Free to wear Sunscreen:

Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth, oh, never mind
You will not understand the power and beauty of your youth
Until they've faded, but trust me, in 20 years, you'll look back
At photos of yourself and recall in a way you can't grasp now
How much possibility lay before you and how fabulous you really looked
You are not as fat as you imagine
It's Gangster's Paradise that gets me every time. I remember when I was a kid and it was released, I was listening to the lyrics "I'm 23 now but will I live to see 24..." thinking 'man, 23 seems a looooong way off for me'.

Now look. Coolio is dead and I'm nearly 40.

I don't feel nearly 40 though. I don't feel any age really. I feel like an adult, but if I didn't have a mirror or any idea when my birthday was, there's no way I could pinpoint my age.
I could be 22. I could be 60. Who knows?

I don't think the soul ages in accordance with the body.
Reply 9
before you know it youll be 30 lol. life really does go by quickkk

Yea probably. for me the past 3 or 4 years have gone by quick
15 here :smile:
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
It's Gangster's Paradise that gets me every time. I remember when I was a kid and it was released, I was listening to the lyrics "I'm 23 now but will I live to see 24..." thinking 'man, 23 seems a looooong way off for me'.

Now look. Coolio is dead and I'm nearly 40.

Off topic, but thought I'd share this with you

Funny enough, at Uni I actually DJ'd a gig where Coolio performed on stage (this was post his peak fame obviously), and at the end, he and his entire entourage actually helped us clean up the venue afterwards (sweeping up, collecting glasses etc.),

In the end, he left wearing our Universities Dance Society T-shirt saying "Good night y'all"

Spoiler

I don't feel nearly 40 though. I don't feel any age really. I feel like an adult, but if I didn't have a mirror or any idea when my birthday was, there's no way I could pinpoint my age.
I could be 22. I could be 60. Who knows?

I don't think the soul ages in accordance with the body.

It's as I said ages ago, once you get past the age of, say, 25... it becomes a lot harder to accurately pin-point someone's age purely by looking at them, because after that age, lifestyle choices & challenges will play a much stronger part in how you look & age (e.g. do you exercise / eat well?; do you smoke or spend too long in the sun etc.). I know one guy who is 45, but to look, he could easily pass for is late 20's... on the other hand, there's another who's in his mid 30's but looks over 50.

Similarly, the challenges we face in life shape us as well. I know some people in their mid 20's who've had to grow up fast because of responsibilities they've had (e.g. becoming parents / carers; demanding jobs etc.); on the other hand, I know some 40/ 50 somethings who are basically over-grown kids (I think they call them "man-child", don't know what the female equivalent is).

I think the late Aaliyah said it best... "Age ain't nothing but a number"
ngl reading stuff like this as a 20 year old who is having a terrible time makes me feel so much worse, like I'm going to have to live the rest of my life with a feeling of regret and resentment that I've wasted this period of my life I will never get back through misery.
ngl reading stuff like this as a 20 year old who is having a terrible time makes me feel so much worse, like I'm going to have to live the rest of my life with a feeling of regret and resentment that I've wasted this period of my life I will never get back through misery.

But you're only 20 ffs

I don't know what the issue with you is, but (on the surface, at least), you've got plenty of time to get proactive and come up with a plan so you're NOT living the rest of your life with regret and resentment.

Granted, I can't promise 100% success, but at least you'd know you haven't gone down without a fight. IMHO, it's much better to give something a go than just to sit back and let bad things happen.
Original post by Old Skool Freak
But you're only 20 ffs

I don't know what the issue with you is, but (on the surface, at least), you've got plenty of time to get proactive and come up with a plan so you're NOT living the rest of your life with regret and resentment.

Granted, I can't promise 100% success, but at least you'd know you haven't gone down without a fight. IMHO, it's much better to give something a go than just to sit back and let bad things happen.

It's not that I don't think things will ever get better for me, I often get told that when I'm quite a bit older and perhaps I'm in a job I'll find life much easier. And I don't necessarily think that is untrue. But at this point it is difficult to really care or feel motivated, I've wasted my entire teens and my first year of uni which I will never get back and even if things do start to improve for me I will always have to live with a similar type of regret and resentment as OP in this.
It's not that I don't think things will ever get better for me, I often get told that when I'm quite a bit older and perhaps I'm in a job I'll find life much easier. And I don't necessarily think that is untrue. But at this point it is difficult to really care or feel motivated, I've wasted my entire teens and my first year of uni which I will never get back and even if things do start to improve for me I will always have to live with a similar type of regret and resentment as OP in this.

Wow this is exactly how I feel.
Reply 16
i miss being a carefree child, but then again it's good to grow up :s-smilie:

It's as I said previously, you need to make the most of the opportunities around you right now; as you'll never know when they're gone for good.

We all do things we regret or fail to seize chances when we're young & dumb (I've done waaay more than my fair share, trust). If I could go back to visit a younger version of myself, I reckon I could easily give the younger me a pep-talk that would last a week (would I listen to "me" though?). But you know what? There's nothing I can do to change what I've done or what's happened (well not without the help of a crazy whacked out scientist with a customised sports car lol).

Nowadays, I tend to look at life like driving a car... your focus and attention should be on what's in front of you and around you; and you only glance occasionally in the rear-view mirror. And that's my point... unless you're going to use it as an incentive to move forward, there's very little to gain by berating yourself for foolish things you've done, or missed opportunities. You'll only live the rest of your life with regret / resentment if you allow yourself to.

Case in point, I know a couple of girls who had kids very young (in their teens)... Now they are in their late 20's and their kids are "Tweens"; so largely independent. One of them now is a personal trainer with a very active social life, while the other is at University doing teacher training. This is the sort of thing I mean, they're getting on with things and (dare I say it), making up for lost time.

I'm no doctor (and by all means, tell me to mind my own business here)... but it sounds like you may have depression. It's nothing to be ashamed of, and it is now recognised as genuine medical condition. It is treatable and you can get past it, but you'd need to be formally diagnosed in order to access the best help available (whether that's medication, some kind of therapy / counselling or whatever).

Your 20's are a really good age... as you get all the benefits of being an adult, but without having to be "grown up", and you're still young enough to get away with making mistakes... and as pointed out by others earlier on in this thread, your 30's etc. will creep up on you much sooner than you think / expect.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by Old Skool Freak
It's as I said previously, you need to make the most of the opportunities around you right now; as you'll never know when they're gone for good.

We all do things we regret or fail to seize chances when we're young & dumb (I've done waaay more than my fair share, trust). If I could go back to visit a younger version of myself, I reckon I could easily give the younger me a pep-talk that would last a week (would I listen to "me" though?). But you know what? There's nothing I can do to change what I've done or what's happened (well not without the help of a crazy whacked out scientist with a customised sports car lol).

Nowadays, I tend to look at life like driving a car... your focus and attention should be on what's in front of you and around you; and you only glance occasionally in the rear-view mirror. And that's my point... unless you're going to use it as an incentive to move forward, there's very little to gain by berating yourself for foolish things you've done, or missed opportunities. You'll only live the rest of your life with regret / resentment if you allow yourself to.

Case in point, I know a couple of girls who had kids very young (in their teens)... Now they are in their late 20's and their kids are "Tweens"; so largely independent. One of them now is a personal trainer with a very active social life, while the other is at University doing teacher training. This is the sort of thing I mean, they're getting on with things and (dare I say it), making up for lost time.

I'm no doctor (and by all means, tell me to mind my own business here)... but it sounds like you may have depression. It's nothing to be ashamed of, and it is now recognised as genuine medical condition. It is treatable and you can get past it, but you'd need to be formally diagnosed in order to access the best help available (whether that's medication, some kind of therapy / counselling or whatever).

Your 20's are a really good age... as you get all the benefits of being an adult, but without having to be "grown up", and you're still young enough to get away with making mistakes... and as pointed out by others earlier on in this thread, your 30's etc. will creep up on you much sooner than you think / expect.

Thank you, I really appreciate your response and I know I have a tendency to basically argue with anyone who ever tries to comfort me or say something positive so I will try my best not to even if my instinct is telling me to.

I've been in therapy for a few years now and started seeing a psychiatrist a few months ago and getting meds - I can't really go into too much detail before I fall foul of TSR rules but despite having every privilege in life and everything thrown at me, I've often had a very difficult time and I feel like I've spent much of my teenage years waiting for the next opportunity for things to improve. And there's come a point where it is becoming difficult to accept, how much longer do I have to wait?
Wow this is exactly how I feel.

Interesting but not really a surprise to see other people feel similarly. Can't do much except send virtual hugs and sympathy.
Reply 19

I felt like I was getting real old turning 30 lol and I guess there is something in it. Not nearly as bad as turning 40, that was kind of depressing though I kind of hid that from those around me. Now in mid forties, huh, I'm half way to 50, eek! Hopefully see if I can do something worthwhile before then. I've got degrees & stuff and while I've enjoyed that I always kind of missed out on the relationship stuff mostly. Harder back in the day as there wasn't even much info around as to what women wanted or where you might be going wrong. I've since discovered a lot of stuff but knowing that stuff would have been better way back. So had kind of been going forward in life kind of blind on that front hoping for the best. Now I look back stuff I was hopeful on I think were situations where I was not really quite there.

I kind of curse myself for not quite being what I needed to be but that's unfortunately life. Stuff is ok for me at the moment but that can change at any time in life for the worse though of course we hope for better.

I wouldn't by any means squander your 30s, there is more out there to help people these days I find, but I also feel society is falling apart badly and increasingly quickly. I know there are people worse off than me and wonder how they get through their day but I can only live my life such as it is.

Quick Reply

Latest