The Student Room Group

Stormzy launches Cambridge scholarships for black students

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-45206266

The Stormzy Scholarship will pay for tuition fees and provide a maintenance grant for up to four years of an undergraduate course. The rapper says: "It's so important for black students, especially, to be aware that it can 100% be an option to attend a university of this calibre."

The rapper will fund two students this year and two in 2019.

Cambridge has been criticised for not admitting many pupils from a black, Asian and minority ethnic (BAME) background. In June, the university asked for help from schools and parents to increase the number of black British students it enrols.

It was after the Financial Times found that some Cambridge colleges didn't take in any black students from 2012 to 2016. The university says that it admitted 58 black students on to undergraduate courses in 2017.

Stormzy says: "We're a minority, the playing ground isn't level for us and it's vital that all potential students are given the same opportunity."

Scroll to see replies

Is he actually allowed to offer racially discriminatory scholarships?

People shouldn't be awarded scholarships based on their race, I'm sorry. Scholarships should be awarded based on academic merit and any other financial assistance on family income. Black students are already entitled to this, just like any other talented students struggling financially.

The racial makeup of a university doesn't matter, provided no discrimination is involved in admissions. If there is some evidence of racial discrimination, then tackle that. The easiest way of doing that is excluding race from applications. Regardless, offering racially discriminatory scholarships to add more of a desired race to a university is paradoxically racist (and wrong).
Reply 2

Beat me too it :gah:

I've left a redirect in University of Cambridge :yy:
hate it when stuff like this happens, not a fan of racial privilege
I wonder how long it'll take for angry TSR members to say " why is it for black students?", "this is positive discrimination" etc?
Original post by Dandaman1
Is he actually allowed to offer racially discriminatory scholarships?

People shouldn't be awarded scholarships based on their race, I'm sorry. Scholarships should be awarded based on academic merit and any other financial assistance on family income. Black students are already entitled to this, just like any other talented students struggling financially.

The racial makeup of a university doesn't matter, provided no discrimination is involved in admissions. If there is some evidence of racial discrimination, then tackle that. The easiest way of doing that is excluding race from applications. Regardless, offering racially discriminatory scholarships to add more of a desired race to a university is paradoxically racist (and wrong).

Most sane people will agree with you.
so if "Tommy Robinson" sponsored scholarships for underprivileged white students that would be OK ?

*not real name
I always get conflicted when I read news stories about how Oxbridge don't admit enough black students. Whatever 'enough' means. The issue is definitely complicated and I don't know how much of it is really in the hands of the university. If there's institutional racism, then how come Asian and Indian students have little problem getting in? Or is it just racism targeted at black students? There's definitely an element of culture at play as well. Oxbridge are elite universities, and it would be a tragedy if their standards were dragged down admissions being based on anything but merit.

As an Asian alumni of Cambridge, it makes my blood boil when I read about how American universities like Harvard are actively disciminating against Asian applicants, in favour of African Americans/Hispanics. It shouldn't be up to universities to "fix" societal divides.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
For all those who think white privilege is a thing.

Surely giving black people a leg up to fill quotas or award scholarships to those who otherwise wouldn't qualify for them, is going to invalidate any of their achievements and put them at a disadvantage when they applying against candidates who flourished without those elements.

Just saying.
Reply 9
Cambridge vid about it:
[video="youtube;WNX4-W9Pj7U"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNX4-W9Pj7U[/video]
Reply 10
Original post by Jebedee
Surely giving black people a leg up to fill quotas or award scholarships to those who otherwise wouldn't qualify for them, is going to invalidate any of their achievements and put them at a disadvantage when they applying against candidates who flourished without those elements.

There's no quota. And there's no relaxation of academic requirements.
Original post by julietlima3
I always get conflicted when I read news stories about how Oxbridge don't admit enough black students. Whatever 'enough' means. The issue is definitely complicated and I don't know how much of it is really in the hands of the university. If there's institutional racism, then how come Asian and Indian students have little problem getting in? Or is it just racism targeted at black students? There's definitely an element of culture at play as well. Oxbridge are elite universities, and it would be a tragedy if their standards were dragged down admissions being based on anything but merit.

As an Asian alumni of Cambridge, it makes my blood boil when I read about how American universities like Harvard are actively disciminating against Asian applicants, in favour of African Americans/Hispanics. It shouldn't be up to universities to "fix" societal divides.

why can top universities help to fix societal divides when they have so much power to?
Reply 12
how many poor students apply to Cambridge? it would've been more helpful if the scholarship was awarded at a mid-range school where poor kids have a realistic chance of getting in. mind you, he's only doing it for 2 years so i wonder if this is more about a credit on his taxes.
Original post by isiaiah d
why can top universities help to fix societal divides when they have so much power to?

They're going to fix societal divides by reinforcing them?
Reply 14
What happens if a mixed race person applies or a light skin black person who could visibly pass for mixed race?

Will he take them on Jeremy Kyle to give them a DNA test ..lol

What happens if a white person who identifies as black applies? [there are some people like that lol]
Original post by the bear
so if "Tommy Robinson" sponsored scholarships for underprivileged white students that would be OK ?

*not real name

Of course it would be okay.

I don't see the problem, they still have to get in anyway.
Well if this will encourage academically capable black students to apply who otherwise wouldn't due to the stereotype Oxbridge has, I don't see the problem. It isn't a quota or positive discrimination by any means. It's a scholarship, something that doesn't guarantee an offer. Due to the fact it's Stormzy, the scholarship will receive far more promotion than any of the other bursaries colleges and other organisations may offer e.g. Sutton trust for American universities.
(edited 5 years ago)
I don't wanna hear no chat from bitter people the AMOS bursary is specifically only for young black boys looking to go to uni is it racist? No nobody says it's racist. Secondly, there's literally more young black boys in Prison than in University so this scheme can help boast confidence and encourage these young lads to stay in school.
Let's not lie here in London all the stabbing and shooting victims are black people are screaming 'What is being done?' Stormzy opens this foundation and instead of supporting or jus ignoring it if you don't like it people are slamming it for it only being for black people.

Listen and listen closely as humans we like helping our own when we live in an area with few people that look like you you pay close attention to those that do. You support your own people first EVERY race does this Indians do this the most they open a shop they only hire family members or friends, or people that speak the same language as them you never see a white or black person serving in a local chicken shop. This is the exact same thing!
(edited 5 years ago)
Nevermind the fact that it's white working-class dudes who are now the most underrepresented in universities...
Thing is though - Cambridge take the best students that apply. If, in our predominantly white country, that’s predominantly white students, isn’t that logical?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending