The Student Room Group

When to start revising for A level?

I’m about to start year 12 so I wanted to ask, when did you start revising for a levels?
Thanks 🙂

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Icykitten
I’m about to start year 12 so I wanted to ask, when did you start revising for a levels?
Thanks 🙂

Easter in year 12 (I sat ASs), and started doing a light amount from February half-term in year 13 - you don't need to revise right from the start of sixth form, and you also don't need to do hours and hours everyday! (ended up with all A*s) :smile: x
Original post by happywhale
Easter in year 12 (I sat ASs), and started doing a light amount from February half-term in year 13 - you don't need to revise right from the start of sixth form, and you also don't need to do hours and hours everyday! (ended up with all A*s) :smile: x

What subjects did you take and do you have any revision advice?
Original post by DGeorge13
What subjects did you take and do you have any revision advice?

Maths, Further Maths, Physics at A level, plus Additional Further Maths, Chemistry and German at AS. I know it's not revolutionary advice, but for the sciences and maths, working through past papers and marking the questions as you go is absolutely brilliant (even if you're taking the new spec, I used the old spec papers and just ignored the questions that were no longer relevant) and for languages quizlet is really good for learning vocab :smile:
Thanks 🙂

now

Hi well done!! What subject did you do and what are you doing now?
Reply 6

Thanks, I’ll start around Easter then 🙂
Reply 7
Original post by Rolls_Reus_0wner
now

Now?! I’m not sure about that... 😂
Original post by Bidachanee
Hi well done!! What subject did you do and what are you doing now?

Thank you! I did maths, further maths and physics, and I'm currently doing a theoretical physics degree :smile:
Maths, Further Maths, Physics at A level, plus Additional Further Maths, Chemistry and German at AS. I know it's not revolutionary advice, but for the sciences and maths, working through past papers and marking the questions as you go is absolutely brilliant (even if you're taking the new spec, I used the old spec papers and just ignored the questions that were no longer relevant) and for languages quizlet is really good for learning vocab :smile:

Thanks for your advice. What would you say the hardest thing about starting a level was?
Now?! I’m not sure about that... 😂

you heard me right
Thank you! I did maths, further maths and physics, and I'm currently doing a theoretical physics degree :smile:

I’m going into year 13 and I am studying chemistry, biology and maths . When would you say I start revising ?

What uni are you at now?
Thanks 🙂

you will notice a lot of people stress like crazy at a levels and dont do as well as hoped. the reason is because they think you need to start revising at X point in time.

as soon as you've had your lesson you should be revising what you've learnt till it's second nature to you. as you learn new things in future lessons you will need to ensure you learn that too and at the same time don't forget what you previously learnt

tl;dr your revision should start at the beginning of september. im not just saying this to be draconian but as someone who was successful academically
Original post by Bidachanee
I’m going into year 13 and I am studying chemistry, biology and maths . When would you say I start revising ?

When did you start in year 12, and did that work for you? If it did then I'd say do the same again, but if it felt a bit tight for time you might want to start earlier. I started at Easter in year 12 but found it pretty stressful, so to make it nicer for myself in year 13 I started working through past papers from February half term and that worked well for me :smile:

Original post by DGeorge13
Thanks for your advice. What would you say the hardest thing about starting a level was?

I think the hardest thing for me was the fact my sixth form was a lot bigger than the lower school, so everything was just weird and new! There was a step up in workload, but I don't think I found it that noticeable because we were eased in - I know it's easy to worry but I'm sure you'll be okay :smile: x

Original post by enemysoilder
What uni are you at now?

Sorry, I don't want to say on TSR - but non-oxbridge top 10 :smile:

I don't want to hijack this thread, so I'm going to go now, but you're always welcome to message me! But there will be people who've sat A levels more recently than me who can give better advice :smile:
When did you start in year 12, and did that work for you? If it did then I'd say do the same again, but if it felt a bit tight for time you might want to start earlier. I started at Easter in year 12 but found it pretty stressful, so to make it nicer for myself in year 13 I started working through past papers from February half term and that worked well for me :smile:

I think the hardest thing for me was the fact my sixth form was a lot bigger than the lower school, so everything was just weird and new! There was a step up in workload, but I don't think I found it that noticeable because we were eased in - I know it's easy to worry but I'm sure you'll be okay :smile: x

Sorry, I don't want to say on TSR - but non-oxbridge top 10 :smile:

I don't want to hijack this thread, so I'm going to go now, but you're always welcome to message me! But there will be people who've sat A levels more recently than me who can give better advice :smile:

Look that won’t work because I started revising 1-2 weeks before me as mocks 😂. Still managed AAB
If I were you, I’d make notes from the start of year 12 every weekend and begin proper but light revision around January/February time and then begin picking up the pace at around March time. But doing notes every weekend is something I’d highly recommend. In year 12, I didn’t really make many notes until February and I got AABC.

In Year 13, I made notes every weekend which left more time for past papers later in the year and I got AAA in biology, chemistry and history. (The extra time for past papers pulled my Chem grade from a C into an A)
Make sure you keep notes organised right from the start and get and complete all homeworks/tests. Started revising around start of April for AS and a little earlier for A2s, got 2 A*s and an A.
Reply 18
Original post by Adro789
Make sure you keep notes organised right from the start and get and complete all homeworks/tests. Started revising around start of April for AS and a little earlier for A2s, got 2 A*s and an A.

That’s for the advice 🙂
I might sound stupid for asking but what is the difference between AS and A2?
That’s for the advice 🙂
I might sound stupid for asking but what is the difference between AS and A2?

To be honest, not much. It's obviously just a step up in difficulty but to be honest I found the jump from GCSE to AS harder. As long as you keep organised throughout the school year and revise effectively you should be ok! I struggled in my AS/A2 mocks but was able to learn from my mistakes and put it right when it counted.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending