The Student Room Group

When should you start revising for A-Levels?

I have mocks in January so is it a good idea to start going over everything now, hoping for A*AA
Original post by Anonymous
I have mocks in January so is it a good idea to start going over everything now, hoping for A*AA

You should have started at the start of year 12
Original post by BankaiGintoki
You should have started at the start of year 12

isn’t that a bit early, i was predicted A*AA in y12 im wondering about when i should actually start doing past papers?
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous

When I revised for my A Levels and BTEC, I revised less than others. This is because I had this super effective method called "consolidation" where in my study periods I go through previous/current topics in my subjects and used various methods to reinforce my knowledge and memory recall - I do this so I forget *less* information. If you're familiar with the forgetting curve, students forget at least 40% of what they learnt after the lesson. Therefore, I highly recommend looking back what you've learnt, and try using various learning methods like flashcards, mind maps, etc. When you feel more confident with a particular topic, quiz yourself or ask peers, practice some past papers (there are plenty online - if you're struggling to find any or not sure, speak to your teacher or a member of staff at your college).

In summary, the earlier you consolidate, the more confident you'll feel. I'm not saying revise less - just go through whatever you feel you're not confident at i.e. which topic you feel clueless that comes to mind).

Furthermore, if you feel you're struggling with time constraints in examinations, speak to your teacher or a study support member of staff about this and see whether you're eligible for extra time. I believe students get 25% extra time in exams. In addition, if you feel you can type faster than handwriting, also ask whether you can use a word processor in exams.

Apologies for the long answer, but I hope this helps 😊
Reply 4
Original post by Ylldrit27
When I revised for my A Levels and BTEC, I revised less than others. This is because I had this super effective method called "consolidation" where in my study periods I go through previous/current topics in my subjects and used various methods to reinforce my knowledge and memory recall - I do this so I forget *less* information. If you're familiar with the forgetting curve, students forget at least 40% of what they learnt after the lesson. Therefore, I highly recommend looking back what you've learnt, and try using various learning methods like flashcards, mind maps, etc. When you feel more confident with a particular topic, quiz yourself or ask peers, practice some past papers (there are plenty online - if you're struggling to find any or not sure, speak to your teacher or a member of staff at your college).

In summary, the earlier you consolidate, the more confident you'll feel. I'm not saying revise less - just go through whatever you feel you're not confident at i.e. which topic you feel clueless that comes to mind).

Furthermore, if you feel you're struggling with time constraints in examinations, speak to your teacher or a study support member of staff about this and see whether you're eligible for extra time. I believe students get 25% extra time in exams. In addition, if you feel you can type faster than handwriting, also ask whether you can use a word processor in exams.

Apologies for the long answer, but I hope this helps 😊

Thank you so much, I’m going to try the consolidation technique from now to save myself a lot of time with revision nearer to A-Levels. I actually have recently qualified for up to 50% extra time in my assessments (including A-Levels) last month, so I’m sure this will help my A- Level grades a ton!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending