The Student Room Group

A level revision

When is the best time to start revising for a levels for someone who struggles to remember things long term but does heavy content subjects like history?
Original post by _felsjsiebsns
When is the best time to start revising for a levels for someone who struggles to remember things long term but does heavy content subjects like history?

Now
Reply 2
Yesterday
Reply 3
Hi,

I studied History, English Literature and RS at sixth form. I had mock exams quite often so I was revising the content for my exams in December then once again in March. April / May time I prioritised just creating mindmaps from memory and speed-planning exam questions, there is no point in trying to start too early on if you struggle to remember things long-term. I'd say make flashcards and choose quick-review and planning style revision methods, most of the time time is not a big factor but it's how you use it. Quiz yourself on the main topics weekly and hand in plans for essays / go through them with your teachers, it's the revision methods that matter most of the time, not how early or late you start revising.
Original post by _felsjsiebsns

Hello,

I am a BA Dance student from the University of Lincoln. It’s not necessarily ‘when you should start revising’ but more ‘what skill sets will you use to revise with’
In terms of remembering things long term, I recommend making mind maps, flashcards, quizzes or summary tables of the key information that you want to remember
These will not just be a one time use but if you make any of these in advance, you are able to use them quickly in the short-term to recap information
For example, if you make a mind-map about the Key events that happened in Russia between 1914-1918, then you could use this as a mini revision guide. It may be you could stick this up on your wall at home and test yourself on a mini question every day, or you could have it next to you when practicing a past paper as a memory prompt
Remember everyone is different and you have to find the best way that works for you when it comes to revision but little and often has been shown to be far more effective in the long run than cramming everything in 2 weeks before

I hope this helps!
Abigail
Reply 5
I see, that does make sense prioritising revision methods, thank you so much for this advice!

Quick Reply

Latest