The Student Room Group

Perspective on Study-youtubers (Ruby Granger, UnjadedJade etc)

What is everyone's perspective on 'study-youtubers'?
I wonder just about the young, impressionable children watching their videos. I got a message on instagram from a girl who was 12 asking how many hours of study she should do a day...I think we just need to be SO CAREFUL on what we are putting out there. This is what contributes to mental health problems like anxiety, OCD and depression. Kids younger and younger are feeling the effects of these issues.
Studying 14 hours a day is only really realistic for maybe med students or law - those in higher university degrees. We need to study smarter, not longer.
I agree that we need to be careful on saying that you should revise X amount of hours, instead of discussing quality of revision, however I don't think study youtubers are at fault. They create content to help support gcse/a-level/uni students on knowing how to revise with the nicest intentions. the people the blame are those such as Gove and others who have implemened the new education reforms which has increased added pressure on young people and teachers alike. even on student room you get year 9s stressing on how to spend their summer because the stress projected on teachers is then projected onto them. we need to try and do more to emphasise that mental health >>> good grades, getting good grades is helpful but if it comes at the expense of your mental wellbeing whats the point. There are other ways to be 'successful' in life w/o straight A's/A*s

(moved your thread to educational debate btw)
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
I definitely agree with CinnamonSmol. I think YouTubers have the nicest of intentions but I also feel like them posting 14 hour videos of them studying is great because they still have very impressionable, die hard, youngsters as their audience as many other YouTubers do. I feel like their should be more YouTubers from different academic backgrounds which there are but they don't seem to be as popular and the way to get the most popular is to have the best grades but these YouTubers seem to be obsessed with getting perfect grades to the point where I think it is unhealthy and rubbing up on their fans. I think there is more they can do on there channel to help with this, although some have.
unjaded jade doesn't seem to study for extremely long periods, ruby though is a different matter. i don't see anything wrong with studytubers in general (i don't watch ruby) but i hope that occassionally she makes it clear to her audience that it's not always healthy or beneficial to study for that long.
generally, they're good role models and they're not really doing anyone any harm.
That being said, all 14 hour study videos I’ve seen come with the disclaimer of “I don’t do this often, it’s not a regular thing nor is it necessary”

I don’t find it can be unhealthy to constantly watch study videos, or study related videos, as a way to procrastinate actual studying. It means you never really get a break from education, and it’s adding to the stress without you doing anything about it, sometimes. To an extent, the same could be said about TSR though. Everything in moderation!

I think ultimately everyone just needs to be taught that hard work doesn’t mean insane hours when you’re a GCSE/A-Level student, it means consistency :smile:
Original post by bmollie72
What is everyone's perspective on 'study-youtubers'?
I wonder just about the young, impressionable children watching their videos. I got a message on instagram from a girl who was 12 asking how many hours of study she should do a day...I think we just need to be SO CAREFUL on what we are putting out there. This is what contributes to mental health problems like anxiety, OCD and depression. Kids younger and younger are feeling the effects of these issues.
Studying 14 hours a day is only really realistic for maybe med students or law - those in higher university degrees. We need to study smarter, not longer.

I agree completely with this, but I would say that it's only certain YouTubers (like Ruby Granger, who do these 14-hour videos!) whereas others, like Jade or Eve, seem to reaffirm a little more that life isn't just about studying. And as some of the other people have said, they are aiming to create good content for older ages, so it's not their 'fault' if impressionable kids get the wrong idea, although they should definitely be aware of the danger and try to counteract it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending