The Student Room Group

Am I the only one who is scared to die?

I really don't want to ever die, I want to live. Death scares me so much but there is no way to prevent it, I will die some day whether I am ready or not. We all will.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It’s the only thing that’s guaranteed in life
Reply 2
Live your life. Stay positive. Stay happy. Don’t think about the negative, Of course we all one day will die... but you should stay as positive as ever and live your life to the fullest!
Reply 3
Alright mate, keep it light
Reply 4
I wish I could say I wasn’t, but yeah death scares me
What's that saying.
Life is a beautiful lie and death a bitter truth.
Original post by s817
I really don't want to ever die, I want to live. Death scares me so much but there is no way to prevent it, I will die some day whether I am ready or not. We all will.

Technically it can be said you are dying right now as your cells can only repair and replace so many times. Death is the only thing that is certain in life. The thought of an afterlife is childish as we have proved your memory and personality are all a part of your brain (via the structure of the neurons) once you die these cells will decompose and die you cease to exist.

Enjoy your life while you have it?
Original post by s817

I used to randomly cry as a younger kid when thinking about death. It absolutely terrified me and still does. Don't really fancy the idea of just not being...
Reply 8
Nah.

[video="youtube;h2qYnj-P37Y"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2qYnj-P37Y[/video]
Reply 9
The people who say they aren't afraid to die either have romanticised it in a sense that all they think about when they hear it is 'relief' from the suffering of their lives- or who don't think of it much. Almost as if they think it won't happen. So, yes. We all fear death to an extent.
Reply 10
Original post by lunarr.
The people who say they aren't afraid to die either have romanticised it in a sense that all they think about when they hear it is 'relief' from the suffering of their lives- or who don't think of it much. Almost as if they think it won't happen. So, yes. We all fear death to an extent.

No we don’t all “fear death”. I’ll try to live out my life but the thought of dying doesn’t worry me. Yes some people, myself included, will see it as relief and so I don’t see why they would still fear it as you said we all do.
I’ve just lost my mum,to loose a family member is hard. Think positive god only takes the best ur time in life is not over yet, when god thinks ur struggling in life then he will take you to heaven but life your life to the fullest yolo.
Original post by Bio 7
No we don’t all “fear death”. I’ll try to live out my life but the thought of dying doesn’t worry me. Yes some people, myself included, will see it as relief and so I don’t see why they would still fear it as you said we all do.

Hence why I meant the people who see it as relief have nothing to fear; except, how sure can you be that it is relief? How sure can you be you're not just going to burn in hell or fade in oblivion? How good of a person can you be to really, really not fear death? Just the way I've always felt.
Death itself isn’t scary to me at all. I think people fear more the process of dying (and whether it’ll be painful and uncomfortable) than the actual moment of death.

I know I’m not going to hell because it doesn’t exist, the concept makes no sense and the main deities (Allah, Yahweh etc.) who are supposed to have created it are definitely not real, their own texts disprove them. Therefore if there is an afterlife I don’t expect it to be filled with horrors and mutilation. However, I don’t need an afterlife to enjoy my life and give it meaning.

Life is an unspeakable treasure and I feel that its full beauty is garnered from fully focusing on it now instead of always looking to the afterlife and therefore missing the life that’s going on right in front of you.
(edited 5 years ago)
There's no point in fearing something that will definitely happen.

Live your life to the fullest, as death is just a moment. whereas you have your whole life to live.
Reply 15
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Death itself isn’t scary to me at all. I think people fear more the process of dying itself (and whether it’ll be painful and uncomfortable) than the actual moment of death.

I don't think that's correct. I think most people with a fear of death fear not existing. Reality occurs through our eyes so for some people it's a strange or even unbearable thought to imagine not having consciousness.

Responses like "it will be like it was before you were born" don't really help. I used to have a fear of death but not much anymore.
(edited 5 years ago)
It doesn't take over my life with worry or anything, but sometimes when I think about it, it does make me a bit panicky. Particularly because it could happen at any time really. I just keep thinking about what I want to do in life, and how disappointing it would be if I just didn't get that far, and what a waste everything to this point would have been (education and getting a good job etc but not being able to enjoy the benefits of that).

I can't get my head around "not being", even though it's only the same as the billions of years before you were born. I'm guessing that once you die you just have no concept of anything, you just go, but that's just such an abstract concept for me right now that it does scare me.

My partner works for a funeral company and sees people coming in who die at all ages from many different things, and that doesn't help me much.
i had this phase last year n it got really bad but honestly i reached a point where i don’t care anymore. live your life in the best way possible and die with no regrets :dontknow:

like - say you were gonna die in two minutes how would you feel? and honestly i’m at a point where it no longer scares me and i feel okay about it
^obvs there’s still a fear there though :naughty:
Original post by Notnek
I don't think that's correct. I think most people with a fear of death fear not existing. Reality occurs through our eyes so for some people it's a strange or even unbearable thought to imagine not having consciousness.

Responses like "it will be like it was before you were born" don't really help. I used to have a fear of death but not much anymore.

Well that’s probably just down to opinion seeing as I’m not aware of any survey that concludes people are more afraid of not existing than dying in pain.

In fact, given that most of the world’s population does believe in an afterlife (and thus that they will exist after death), I dare say my postulation is more likely.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest