The Student Room Group

I wanna be a broadway singer but my parents won't support me.

According to my grandmother, when I was three years old, I started singing broadway songs which I’ve always heard and seen on TV. She was the one who took care of me while my parents were away for work. She’s a good singer too and she loves broadway as much as I love it. When I was seven, we used to sing disney and broadway songs together. Because of her, I wanted to pursue my dream of becoming a broadway singer.

While I was growing up, my grandma loved to audition me on singing contests and all throughout, she was there to support me. When I turned seventeen, she died in a natural death. Despite that, I didn’t give up on our broadway dream. But my parents didn’t want it for me because they think it won’t do me any good. They just want me to focus more on realistic stuff, like working at a foreign company in town. It saddened me so much that they think that way. Is dreaming to experience a broadway singing not realistic at all?
Well it depends how good you are at singing! The reality is that it's exceedingly high pressure and competitive to get into or stay within.

The best way to find out whether you're vocally good enough, would be to have what's called a 'consultation lesson/session' with a tutor from a music college which trains people for musical theatre. For example, the Royal Academy of Music has a well-known masters course in this area :yes:
Original post by singingislife28
According to my grandmother, when I was three years old, I started singing broadway songs which I’ve always heard and seen on TV. She was the one who took care of me while my parents were away for work. She’s a good singer too and she loves broadway as much as I love it. When I was seven, we used to sing disney and broadway songs together. Because of her, I wanted to pursue my dream of becoming a broadway singer.

While I was growing up, my grandma loved to audition me on singing contests and all throughout, she was there to support me. When I turned seventeen, she died in a natural death. Despite that, I didn’t give up on our broadway dream. But my parents didn’t want it for me because they think it won’t do me any good. They just want me to focus more on realistic stuff, like working at a foreign company in town. It saddened me so much that they think that way. Is dreaming to experience a broadway singing not realistic at all?

Dont give up on your dream but you 'll need to be realistic and have a viable back up career as these kind of things are extremely competitive
Haters gonna hate!

Follow your heart <3
Reply 4

With something like this you have to work your way towards it but at the same time have a backup plan and side work. Not easy, but try at least.
Ealing Broadway? If this post is genuine why doesn't it refer to the West End? Broadway is in Manhattan.
Reply 6
you don't need your parents to support you on this, do you? i mean it's not a prerequisite. just jump on a bus and take yourself to auditions; you can be as independent as you want to be.
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." -Steve Jobs.

You don't need me to tell you how hard it is to get onto broadway however maybe you need reminding that it's important to chase your dreams!

I understand your parents perspective, I imagine they're advising you to take the "safe" option which will give you something tangible for your life but there's plenty of time for that if needs be. If this is your dream, you've got to work harder then you ever have done to make this into a reality. I'm in a similar situation with a different field and the way I see it is- if i'm not working as hard as I can and doing more then I thought possible to achieve it, there's someone else that is and they'll take my place.

Stay positive, be proactive and make your own luck.
(edited 5 years ago)

If you are genuinely good then go for it.
What has this thread got to do with house prices? :colonhash:
Original post by L'étranger123

Answer demanded now!
Reply 11
Original post by L'étranger123

Original post by centraltrains
Answer demanded now!

The TSR staff member who made such a massive blunder needs to be sacked ...lol

the real thread is here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5579916
I wanna read threads about house prices dropping 35% but TSR won't support me.

Anyway Lonely Goatherd seems to have given you the best response here. good good now excuse me while I find out about housing
I'm trying really hard to figure out what correlation there could be between this and house pricces
I can speak from knowing professional musicians (orchestral musicians, often would have played in stage shows) that when this endeavour becomes professional as opposed to amateur, more often than not they fall out of love with their craft. This is often due to large amounts of travelling (they lose out on a large chunk of social life) as well as spending lots of time playing music they don't have a large affinity with. The lack of job security you face is also tough on mental health. Because of this I personally would say the best thing to do is to keep an active involvement in high quality amateur theatre, this way it only opens and enriches your life experience rather than constricts it.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by SerBronn
Ealing Broadway? If this post is genuine why doesn't it refer to the West End? Broadway is in Manhattan.

Yes... so what we can extrapolate from the post is that the OP desires to perform most in a broadway theater, rather than the West End. Pretty simple...

Quick Reply

Latest