The Student Room Group

Complicated situation

So I live in the uk for almost 9 years wity my uncle and auntie being my legal guardians as my mum lives in a different country, I just wanted to know before applyin for student finance, as I’m 19 and financially i sometimes depend on them as they pay for rent food etc in the house but also got two kids of their own , so is not like i get a lot financially supported. I’m thinking to do uni in London as I live outside of London just an hour away. But still live home and just travel to uni by train. I didn’t know if I am counted as either a dependent or independent student because I work at the moment as I’m trying to have my own money but don’t pay rent? And I’m not sure because their annual income is higher than 40,000, but they have two kids of their own so is not like I get lot financially helped, except w rent and food . I just genuinely wanted to know if I could possible get more loan stating that I don’t live with my parent but with family members.
Original post by 1555555Erika
So I live in the uk for almost 9 years wity my uncle and auntie being my legal guardians as my mum lives in a different country, I just wanted to know before applyin for student finance, as I’m 19 and financially i sometimes depend on them as they pay for rent food etc in the house but also got two kids of their own , so is not like i get a lot financially supported. I’m thinking to do uni in London as I live outside of London just an hour away. But still live home and just travel to uni by train. I didn’t know if I am counted as either a dependent or independent student because I work at the moment as I’m trying to have my own money but don’t pay rent? And I’m not sure because their annual income is higher than 40,000, but they have two kids of their own so is not like I get lot financially helped, except w rent and food . I just genuinely wanted to know if I could possible get more loan stating that I don’t live with my parent but with family members.

Hi there, Do you have evidence confirming they are your legal guardians? If so we would assess your funding based on their household income to assess you for the higher amount of Maintenance Loan. Thanks, Angela
Reply 2
Original post by Angela SFE
Hi there, Do you have evidence confirming they are your legal guardians? If so we would assess your funding based on their household income to assess you for the higher amount of Maintenance Loan. Thanks, Angela

Hello,
Yes ii do have evidence but thing is the annual income is over 40,000 but they have two kids of their own so is not like I get lot financially supported I work at the moment and have my own money because I’m a bit older now so I can take a bit responsibility, but whenever I will put their household income it will give me an estimate of 4,000 if I live home but that is really nothing as I will need money to travel etc I just thought I could get more as I don’t live w my parents and my legal guardians have kids of their own to take care of more financially.
Hello,
Yes ii do have evidence but thing is the annual income is over 40,000 but they have two kids of their own so is not like I get lot financially supported I work at the moment and have my own money because I’m a bit older now so I can take a bit responsibility, but whenever I will put their household income it will give me an estimate of 4,000 if I live home but that is really nothing as I will need money to travel etc I just thought I could get more as I don’t live w my parents and my legal guardians have kids of their own to take care of more financially.

Hi there, We would therefore need their financial details to assess you for the higher amount of funding, as you have mentioned the income is high which would reduce your entitlement. There is a section on the application form that they can list their other dependents/children and we do consider this when assessing your funding. However as the threshold is above the maximum for the max loan your funding would reflect this. To be assessed as a Independent student you would need to provide evidence that you have self supported yourself for 3 years prior to the start of the course. Thanks, Angela.
Reply 4
Original post by Angela SFE
Hi there, We would therefore need their financial details to assess you for the higher amount of funding, as you have mentioned the income is high which would reduce your entitlement. There is a section on the application form that they can list their other dependents/children and we do consider this when assessing your funding. However as the threshold is above the maximum for the max loan your funding would reflect this. To be assessed as a Independent student you would need to provide evidence that you have self supported yourself for 3 years prior to the start of the course. Thanks, Angela.

Hi,
Thank you so much for this information this really is helpful. I’ve got a last question and I know it may sound really stupid but I just genuinely wanted to know to avoid breaking any rules. So I was thinking to study in London. I live one hour away. But to attend to lectures I was thinking to get a studio rent flat type of thing to stay in when I have lectures . And then go back home for the days I do not so I can keep going to my job that I’ve just started and pays quite good. Would it still count as me not living with parents and studying in London if I only will live near my uni only whej I do have lectures ((such as 3 days a week I’ll stay in London and travel back home when I won’t have any for the rest of the week to go to my job as I don’t wanna lose it and not ready to start a new one and not live on my own )) I just wanted to know if that would be reasonable or not as I don’t wanna break any rules. Sorry if it sounds really stupid.
Hi,
Thank you so much for this information this really is helpful. I’ve got a last question and I know it may sound really stupid but I just genuinely wanted to know to avoid breaking any rules. So I was thinking to study in London. I live one hour away. But to attend to lectures I was thinking to get a studio rent flat type of thing to stay in when I have lectures . And then go back home for the days I do not so I can keep going to my job that I’ve just started and pays quite good. Would it still count as me not living with parents and studying in London if I only will live near my uni only whej I do have lectures ((such as 3 days a week I’ll stay in London and travel back home when I won’t have any for the rest of the week to go to my job as I don’t wanna lose it and not ready to start a new one and not live on my own )) I just wanted to know if that would be reasonable or not as I don’t wanna break any rules. Sorry if it sounds really stupid.

Hi there, We would advise to indicate where you will spend most of your time living to ensure you are awarded the correct funding. We will ask for evidence of your address details during the academic year for a address/entitlement sweep. Thanks, Angela

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending