The Student Room Group

I want to move schools but my school and my parents are saying I shouldn't

I want to move schools but my school and my parents are saying I shouldn't, I have Autism and ADHD, I am currently in an SEN school, in year 10, but I've never been to big mainstream school and want to experiance such, another reason is I want to do GCSE Drama, which my school won't do, the issue is the only other option in my catchment area is a school where I don't know anyone, the school I want to go to is 14 minutes away on the other side of my town, but I have lots of friends who go there from my army cadets so i feel like the move would not be bad since ive got freinds there, it is also the school my mum and dad would of sent me to if my old primary school didn't suggest my current school.
For reference I'm smarter than everyone else in my school, but I have behaviour issues, however the teachers said I'm capable of high GCSE grades, the average in my school is a like 1 or 2, which also just feels awful, most kids at mine do GCSE and have down syndrome etc, which while I'm not having disabilities is bad, it effects me as someone who yes has Autism and ADHD, can still achieve high grades, so being set back because alot of the class don't know as much as me, and are not as smart as the average mainstream school kid, it effects me.
Another thing is I have behaviour issues so I can get mad over some small things, and will leave lesson over small things, which a mainstream wotn accept, but it's the same at my cadets, and I do just fine there, yes cadets is different, but at my school we have like 3 - 5 teachers in a class of 10 to 15 kids, we still use the inprint symbols and have abc on the walls still.
At my cadets, there is like 1 adult instructor (or even a kid with high rank) for 30 cadets, like in mainstream, I don't struggle in such environment, yet I'm treated the same at cadets as the other kids who don't have learning disabilities and I'm completely fine there, even if its stricter than school.
Please give me my thoughts so I can share them with my parents and school.
Reply 1
If you're currently in year 10, does that mean you'd transfer to this other school when you're in year 11 (if you end up being able to)? Just because if so, it might be difficult to pick up drama GCSE - my brother is in year 10 doing a drama GCSE and he's already done assessed stuff for it.

I mean, you have an understandable case for transferring from what you've said between the kind of grades you're going for and your experience at cadets. Is there a way you could start a dialogue with the school you'd like to transfer to see if they even have the spaces to take a new student in your year group? Or for your parents + current school to find out if that school can support you? I don't think it's entirely uncommon for kids with autism and/or ADHD to be in mainstream schools (especially in areas without SEN schools super nearby like where I grew up).

If you can't, have you considered looking at going to a college to do a drama GCSE afterwards? The college I went to for my A-levels also offered GCSEs so there might be somewhere like that near you. Then you can still study it, just a bit later on alongside some other qualifications.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by userhep
If you're currently in year 10, does that mean you'd transfer to this other school when you're in year 11 (if you end up being able to)? Just because if so, it might be difficult to pick up drama GCSE - my brother is in year 10 doing a drama GCSE and he's already done assessed stuff for it.

I mean, you have an understandable case for transferring from what you've said between the kind of grades you're going for and your experience at cadets. Is there a way you could start a dialogue with the school you'd like to transfer to see if they even have the spaces to take a new student in your year group? Or for your parents + current school to find out if that school can support you? I don't think it's entirely uncommon for kids with autism and/or ADHD to be in mainstream schools (especially in areas without SEN schools super nearby like where I grew up).

If you can't, have you considered looking at going to a college to do a drama GCSE afterwards? The college I went to for my A-levels also offered GCSEs so there might be somewhere like that near you. Then you can still study it, just a bit later on alongside some other qualifications.

I live in Telford, there are like 20 - 30 performing arts schools here, for a town of 155,000 is pretty good, nearest college for performing arts is in Shrewsbury, which is like 2 hours away by train since I hate buses and train is my only option.
Either that or I have to go to a college that is residential, far away from my parents.
I know a kid who is moving to a boarding school in London next year when she goes into Year 9 as her freinds go there, and it has the GCSE options she wants to do.

Me personally as much I like to explore new places, being away from parents for 90% of the year is just not viable.
This is why I want to go to a school that does GCSE Drama, even if I'm just entered for the exam and get a good grade I'm happy.

Issue is again due to my Autism and ADHD it is going to be hard to get into the school I want to get in for GCSE Drama, especially when I'm moving to year 11 next year.
I only have 1 freind who goes to the school in my catchment area that others GCSE Drama, (why do catchment areas existed they are stupid, like if you wanna do a subject in GCSE, but your school in your catchment area does not do it, your screwed), the school I wanna go to which like I said is, like 14 minutes away for an 8 mile drive, I have lots of freinds who go there, so I won't have too much of a hard time, issue is the school I want to go to starts earlier than my sisters school, which is less than 2 minute drive away, my current school is 5 minutes drive away, so my sister would have to go in early if I move, or my mum walks her to school since its a 15 minute walk to my sisters school, which is next to my old primary school so I used to walk everyday before we started using the car when I was in year 5.

My behaviour is also somewhat poor at my current school and I'm on report, one factor I feel like is that it's not that strict, tmy cadets it's very strict, but I am fine there, yes it's cadets, and I enjoy it, but if I'm better in a strict environment, then maybe it's somthing through authority need to try and look at maybe, I'm speaking to the careers advisor at my school on Tuesday when she is in to get to speak to her and get her opinion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending