The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Samanthaplague
Should be fine

Thanks. Do you know how I could work out my score? Im pretty worried since my English language, literature and maths are all As instead of A*. However, I also did double award science (A*A*). I tried to use their offer calculator but they dont give you the score anymore.
Reply 61
Hi guys,

I’ve got 10A* at GCSE and 667.5 Band 1 in UKCAT. My offer calculator score is 7.788. Is this ok or should I be looking elsewhere ?
Reply 62
Should be fine

Original post by michaela0899
Thanks. Do you know how I could work out my score? Im pretty worried since my English language, literature and maths are all As instead of A*. However, I also did double award science (A*A*). I tried to use their offer calculator but they dont give you the score anymore.

I make your score 7.167 (4.5 for GCSEs, 2.667 for UKCAT). The cut off in the last 2 years has been more than 8. It may come down this year as they have changed the GCSE/UKCAT weighting, but I would not like to bet a place on it coming down that far.
You have much safer options than this
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by GANFYD
I make your score 7.167 (4.5 for GCSEs, 2.667 for UKCAT). The cut off in the last 2 years has been more than 8. It may come down this year as they have changed the GCSE:u:KCAT weighting, but I would not like to bet a place on it coming down that far.
You have much safer options than this

Thanks, so 2750 is in the 7th decile according to their scoring rather than 8th?
Reply 64
Original post by michaela0899
Thanks, so 2750 is in the 7th decile according to their scoring rather than 8th?

Birmingham use the UKCAT scores of their own applcants to set their deciles. Last year's are posted on their website, we won't know what this year's are until after they have all applications in.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 65
GCSEs: 9,8,8, 6A*, 7A
A Level Predictions: A*A*A
UKCAT: 677, band 2
Work Experience: 1 week shadowing in hospital, 1 year volunteering at a hospice, 1 week at aspiring medics programme
Extra Curricular: Regional swimmer, grade 8 piano, volunteer as a swim coach.
How likely am I for an interview?
Reply 66
As per university web site, the typical offer will A*AA.
Do they accept AAA on the result day or they will stick with one A*?
Hey,I’m predicted A* A A, 605 UKCAT and 6A*s at GCSE. Do you think I have a chance at getting an interview even if it’s only small?
Original post by flowers68
Hey,I’m predicted A* A A, 605 UKCAT and 6A*s at GCSE. Do you think I have a chance at getting an interview even if it’s only small?

It depends on your school, see if your school is on the contextual list
GCSEs: EU student so doesn't apply (got near full points from equivalent but I called the admissions and apparently they mainly look at my IB predictions)
A Level Predictions: Doing IB, 43/45 predicted with 766 on HL
UKCAT: 672,5, Band 1
Work Experience: part-time work for 1,5 years in a care home for disabled, week in paediatrics, volunteering as a scout guide for 5 years
Extra Curricular: Lacrosse (technically national level but our country has like 4 teams :biggrin: ), scouting, clarinet, EYP
Everyone who has work experience in a care home - what exactly did you do? I've been working in a care home for 1,5 years now but I don't really know what to put to my PS. I'm technically doing the work of a nursing associate (lower qualification than nurse in our country and quite unusual at my age) so washing, dressing, feeding etc so I don't know if I should say 'working in a care home' or mention filling in for a nursing associate? What's the right way to refer to my job in the UK??
How would entry requirements for internatonal applicants differ? I sat for the GCE International O-levels where we do around 7-8 subjects and schools normally allow only up to 8. I have 6A*1A in my olevels and a 675 ukcat avg with SJ band 2. Will my olevels be considered the same as GCSEs and put me at a disadvantage since i did only 7 subjects?
It depends on your school, see if your school is on the contextual list

Hey! The school I did my GCSE’s at had an average attainment of 49.18 whereas on the Birmingham website it gives contextual offers if it’s 54.8 or below. However, I don’t know how much lower the threashold for interview will be lowered for me even with contextual circumstances. Do you think I’ll be able to get in?
Reply 73
Original post by adamb_18
Birmingham require at least one A* prediction

They need one A* only fir actual scores , for predictions AAA is good. The website says it and they clarified on phone too
I’m predicted A*A*A
My GCSEs are 5A*s 2As 3Bs
My UKCAT was 2670 (667.5)
I think my grades are too low for Birmingham. Is it worth applying?
Reply 75
Original post by mcdonaldkylie
I’m predicted A*A*A
My GCSEs are 5A*s 2As 3Bs
My UKCAT was 2670 (667.5)
I think my grades are too low for Birmingham. Is it worth applying?

What is your score for interview?
Original post by GANFYD
What is your score for interview?

6.528 I think
Reply 77
Original post by Shihab19
How would entry requirements for internatonal applicants differ? I sat for the GCE International O-levels where we do around 7-8 subjects and schools normally allow only up to 8. I have 6A*1A in my olevels and a 675 ukcat avg with SJ band 2. Will my olevels be considered the same as GCSEs and put me at a disadvantage since i did only 7 subjects?

Birmingham do not use GCSEs for international applicants, they use UKCAT and PS, as detailed on their website
https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/schools/medical-school/applying-to-medicine/entry-requirements-five-year-programme.aspx
Reply 78
Original post by mcdonaldkylie
6.528 I think

The score needed for an interview has been over 8 the last few years (non contextual applicants) and although it may drop a little this year, given the change in GCSE/UKCAT weighting, I suspect it won't drop that far, sorry
Original post by GANFYD
The score needed for an interview has been over 8 the last few years (non contextual applicants) and although it may drop a little this year, given the change in GCSE/UKCAT weighting, I suspect it won't drop that far, sorry

No worries, thank you though. I would have applied otherwise and it would have just been a waste of an application. Thanks!

Latest

Trending

Trending