The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yo,

my predicted= A*AA
UKCAT score= 2470, band 3 - crap ik haha

I'm confused, a tutor told me the lowest they interviewed was 2500 last year. However, I saw meddad's FOI request and they quoted him 645 avg, which is 2580. With avg UKCAT scores, 55 points lower than last year, that makes this years 'cutoff' =2525. 55 points off my score.

Do you think this tutor was quoting a score with contextual data??? or have I just wasted an application
Reply 61
Original post by LORD_LFC_5
Yo,

my predicted= A*AA
UKCAT score= 2470, band 3 - crap ik haha

I'm confused, a tutor told me the lowest they interviewed was 2500 last year. However, I saw meddad's FOI request and they quoted him 645 avg, which is 2580. With avg UKCAT scores, 55 points lower than last year, that makes this years 'cutoff' =2525. 55 points off my score.

Do you think this tutor was quoting a score with contextual data??? or have I just wasted an application

Southampton have declared in a FOI request that the lowest score for a standard applicant last year was 645, so not sure where your tutor got his info from. I doubt Southampton are giving erroneous information as the regulators would seriously frown on this.

It is not as simple as just reducing all scores by the "average" drop this year. It is probably more use to look at where 645 (2580) fell in the deciles last year, and the answer is almost at the top of the 6th decile. Looking at this year's deciles, a similar score would be around 2530-2540 or 632.5-635.
That does not mean this year's cut off will not be higher, or lower, than last, all I am showing you is roughly what the equivalent score is to last year.
Original post by GANFYD
I can give you 2016 cycle data

Each group applying to BM5 is considered separately. Find the group you belong to to find your stats:

School Leavers (A levels)
No. of places: 126
No. of applicants: 636
Lowest UKCAT interviewed: 2560 (total)
No. of interviews: 432
No. of offers: 250
Applicants per offer: 2.5

Graduates applying to the 5 year course
No. of places: 20
No. of applicants: 363
Lowest UKCAT interviewed: 2770 (total)
No. of interviews: 48
No. of offers: 20
Applicants per offer: 18

Mature non-graduates
No. of places: 5
No. of applicants: 40
Lowest UKCAT interviewed: 2400 (total)
No. of interviews: 24
No. of offers: 14
Applicants per offer: 3

Overseas applicants
No. of places: 12
No. of applicants: 153
Lowest UKCAT interviewed: 2120 (total)
No. of interviews: 72
No. of offers: 19
Applicants per offer: 8

Hi Ganfyd, first of all thank you for posting this and everything else that you've posted on TSR - it's been helpful to newbies like myself! :smile: Second, is there any data for overseas graduate applicants specifically? I can't seem to find anything online for southampton :frown:
Reply 63
Original post by ukprospective
Hi Ganfyd, first of all thank you for posting this and everything else that you've posted on TSR - it's been helpful to newbies like myself! :smile: Second, is there any data for overseas graduate applicants specifically? I can't seem to find anything online for southampton :frown:

Not that I am aware of, sorry. And Southampton play things very close tho their chest, but you could try ringing and asking (though they are probably a bit busy right now!)
Original post by GANFYD
Southampton have declared in a FOI request that the lowest score for a standard applicant last year was 645, so not sure where your tutor got his info from. I doubt Southampton are giving erroneous information as the regulators would seriously frown on this.

It is not as simple as just reducing all scores by the "average" drop this year. It is probably more use to look at where 645 (2580) fell in the deciles last year, and the answer is almost at the top of the 6th decile. Looking at this year's deciles, a similar score would be around 2530-2540 or 632.5-635.
That does not mean this year's cut off will not be higher, or lower, than last, all I am showing you is roughly what the equivalent score is to last year.

Okay, thank you... very much
Is it strange that Southampton haven't acknowledged my application yet? I applied on the 10th and I've noticed that they've acknowledged people who applied after me, I just find it weird.
Is anyone else applying to A101. I'm at 2870 idk if I'm a borderline UKCAT or not considering the drop this year. How did everyone else do?
Did everyone else get the Southampton thank you card lmao?
Original post by madememindup

Yes! I felt so appreciated haha
Reply 69

Yes- waste of money!
Original post by browniebelle
Yes! I felt so appreciated haha

Haha me too it was soo cuteee
Original post by mammy1
Yes- waste of money!

I mean personally I see it as good customer service, we’re essentially they’re potential customers and they’re trying to please us. Makes sense since we’ll be paying 9k a year to study there.They got more than they put out so it’s a win win.

Was it in the post for you? That's quite cute of them.
Hey guys, I'm an international student who applied to Southampton med. I have not received any email asking me for official copies of my transcripts from University or high school. Does Southampton email you to ask for these or are you expected to just send them in? If anyone has previous experience with this can you please let me know? Thank you :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 74
I mean personally I see it as good customer service, we’re essentially they’re potential customers and they’re trying to please us. Makes sense since we’ll be paying 9k a year to study there.They got more than they put out so it’s a win win.

I know what you’re saying but mine went from the letterbox to recycle bin within about 20 steps - so waste of money!
Any other applicants to A101?
Original post by Anastasia123O
Was it in the post for you? That's quite cute of them.

Yeah it was and ikr what a sweet gesture!
Original post by mammy1
I know what you’re saying but mine went from the letterbox to recycle bin within about 20 steps - so waste of money!

Looooooool I take it you’re not a fan of thank you cards then, I personally just put mine in my desk draw for safekeeping:smile:
Original post by Jsheridan
Any other applicants to A101?

Yes me! :smile: I'm just hoping I manage to get an interview!
Original post by GEM_2019
Yes me! :smile: I'm just hoping I manage to get an interview!

Me too

Latest

Trending

Trending