The Student Room Group

Too late to drop a subject? Half term y10

Hi guys so the subjects I chose
PE
History
Business
German

I am struggling with German quite a lot, I find it a massive leap from KS3. I can swap it but I’m not really interested in any other subjects and I feel like the other subjects be too far in for me to catch up

University’s look for a language, and I feel like I could be capable of getting a good grade (6-7) if I put the effort in. One side of me says carry on with German and the other side says no.

Does anyone have any tips/apps/revision websites that would be beneficial towards me? I already use quizlet and Memrise

Thanks xx
A language gcse is the easiest thing you can ever do. I guessed the whole French foundation paper and got a 5
Reply 2
Original post by seanladd12
A language gcse is the easiest thing you can ever do. I guessed the whole French foundation paper and got a 5

What exam board?
Original post by Millyyy03
What exam board?

The legendary aqa
Reply 4
I used to study french but I thought it was harder than french so hopefully I have the same luck as u
Hi guys so the subjects I chose
PE
History
Business
German

I am struggling with German quite a lot, I find it a massive leap from KS3. I can swap it but I’m not really interested in any other subjects and I feel like the other subjects be too far in for me to catch up

University’s look for a language, and I feel like I could be capable of getting a good grade (6-7) if I put the effort in. One side of me says carry on with German and the other side says no.

Does anyone have any tips/apps/revision websites that would be beneficial towards me? I already use quizlet and Memrise

Thanks xx

If it's of any consolation, german is a difficult gcse.
Original post by Aayush :)

Not for foundation
Reply 7
Original post by Aayush :)

Did you take it? :frown:
I wouldn’t worry about dropping a subject until you are at college, some of the subjects are required at GCSE, you go more in depth about the stuff you are interested in after GCSE
Did you take it? :frown:

Well ... it’s the most difficult of the 3 languages that are commonly taken at gcse (French, Spanish and German), and it is significantly more complex linguistically than french, which I took and found very difficult.

I didn’t take German, but some of my friends did.

For perspective, 67 people in my year took Spanish, 52 took french and just 20 took German. I considered taking German and went nope as soon as I saw the content difficulty. For perspective, I got a high 7 (7 marks off an 8) in french. Most students at my school taking German took ONLY German for their languages. And they did struggle. There’s a lot of grammatical complexity in German with 4 cases which have plural sub-variants, 3 genders, major irregularities in grammar especially with gender (even more so than french). It’s tough, but if you keep at it you’ll get there 🙂.

Original post by seanladd12
Not for foundation

But then you have to get a pretty high score to get a 5, which is the highest grade on foundation. It’s still about the same difficulty to get a 5 on foundation as on higher.
Reply 10
You're right, uni's look for languages and i think it would be better to do a language than none at all, it at least shows you were willing to try, if you don't do so well. and at the end, if you do well, it looks really impressive because german is hard! good luck x

Quick Reply

Latest