The Student Room Group

Help me choose!!

I am in year 11 choosing a levels and im unsure what to choose and why to choose it.

I want to do psychology, maths, french and law, but i dont know which to drop because i am not sure if i can manage all 4. I was thinking about choosing all 4 then dropping one a few months in.

I am also Polish, and want to see if i can do that as an a level, but wondering if it is even worth it and if it might be too much workload to learn the book and stuff.

My main ones that i am unsure of is the law and french. I dont know if an essay subject like law is the best for me, plus if i really wanted to do law at uni i dont have to do it. But i am worried about managing to do a language. I got a grade 8 on my Y10 mocks for french, but dont know how it will be when i get to a levels.

Any thoughts???
Original post by aleksandra21
I am in year 11 choosing a levels and im unsure what to choose and why to choose it.

I want to do psychology, maths, french and law, but i dont know which to drop because i am not sure if i can manage all 4. I was thinking about choosing all 4 then dropping one a few months in.

I am also Polish, and want to see if i can do that as an a level, but wondering if it is even worth it and if it might be too much workload to learn the book and stuff.

My main ones that i am unsure of is the law and french. I dont know if an essay subject like law is the best for me, plus if i really wanted to do law at uni i dont have to do it. But i am worried about managing to do a language. I got a grade 8 on my Y10 mocks for french, but dont know how it will be when i get to a levels.

Any thoughts???

Hi there

Those sound like interesting subjects to take, and I do agree that you can try taking four and then dropping one if you are struggling? (Perhaps the one that you find least interesting, or the subject where your grades are not as strong?)

Regarding Polish, are you thinking of taking it as a 5th A level? In my opinion, it would really depend on how strong your grades are for the other subjects as well. If you do choose to take 5 A levels, you will be really busy, and it can be challenging managing the workload and dealing with any tests or coursework deadlines. I would suggest trying to aim for the best grades you can in A levels, rather than going for the most number of A levels. If you are worried about boosting your applications, I would really recommend gaining work experiences (this will be useful both for University applications, and any future job applications).

For French, perhaps have a chat with your teacher, or someone who has taken it before as an A level. It would be nice to hear what they have to say.

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Any thoughts???

It's better to do 1 language as University wouldn't care about many alevel languages, so it's better for u to do polish if you speak it better than French
Reply 3
Original post by AsadAlsaied
It's better to do 1 language as University wouldn't care about many alevel languages, so it's better for u to do polish if you speak it better than French

Hi, only problem is that with polish I wouldn’t have any lessons, it would be all on me. While with french I will have actual lessons

Hi, only problem is that with polish I wouldn’t have any lessons, it would be all on me. While with french I will have actual lessons

If you speak Polish, it would be easy as you only need to read a story, watch a movie, and do some research on a place, that's what I did last year when I did Arabic

Quick Reply

Latest