The Student Room Group

Blackfishing - pretending to be black - cultural appreciation or appropriation?

Scroll to see replies

Honestly stuff like hip hop culture does come from black people but its still westernised culture. I think its different though when people start wearing traditional African garms, but honestly I don't see it as a major issue.
Original post by nicolesm1
who in the world wants to be white? LOL

Michael Jackson?
Original post by nicolesm1
who in the world wants to be white? LOL

Surely if whites are so privileged everyone would want to be white? Who doesn’t want privilege?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by zhog
5b7efd9619000014035027fd (1).jpeg

Wouldn't get away with it these days, would he? Mind you, I never got round to asking a black person if they found him funny.

Come on... Ali G's 'innit' is a comic masterpiece.
I think y’all need to actually google cultural appropriation to see what it really means, because there’s a lot of misconceptions here...
Reply 85
Original post by ANM775
She said she hasn't got no surgery but her breasts look an awful lot bigger and so does her bust from when she was 13

Is this possible natrually?
I'm not a woman but i would have thought by 13 most of those regions would already be blossoming [if they were gonna blossom]

It depends when you go through puberty. I had finished growing height wise by the time I was 13. My boobs have still gone up several cup sizes since then, and I've got much wider hips. I went through puberty a couple of years earlier than average. If she went through puberty a couple of years later than average, then yes it's perfectly possible. Plus the angle is different. That makes a huge difference.
Original post by Johnny English
just try and integrate more with the locals ....you'll love it .

What if the locals don't accept you because you are not white, or you dress different because of your religion? As a white, English person you can go to any part of the UK and enjoy everything in it without fear of being marginalised or abused. The same cannot be said for people that aren't white or English or even Christian...

I study in a part of the UK where its not unusual, whilst walking down the street to hear someone screaming the N'word at a black person or the P word at an asian as they speed past them in their car. How can people from an Asian or Black background integrate in such places?

I was on a train the other day. There was one black person on it and the ticket inspector, when they got to them, they started talking to them in a gangster sort of way clearly mocking and taking the mick out of them for a stereotype much to the laughter of EVERYONE in that carriage. The guy looked so shocked and so hurt. I felt disgusted by what I saw...and you know what? I did not do anything about it...because after being in this part of the country for almost a year now I've come to learn that if you open your mouth and your different you will pay a huge price for it...I felt like a coward.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Pinkisk
What if the locals don't accept you because you are not white, or you dress different because of your religion? As a white, English person you can go to any part of the UK and enjoy everything in it without fear of being marginalised or abused. The same cannot be said for people that aren't white or English or even Christian...

I study in a part of the UK where its not unusual, whilst walking down the street to hear someone screaming the N'word at a black person or the P word at an asian as they speed past them in their car. How can from an Asian and Black background integrate in such places?

I was on a train the other day. There was one black person on it and the ticket inspector, when they got to them, they started talking to them in a gangster sort of way clearly mocking and taking the mick out of them for a stereotype much to the laughter of EVERYONE in that carriage. The guy looked so socked and so hurt. I felt disgusted by what I saw...and you know what? I did not do anything about it...because after being in this part of the country for almost a year now I've come to learn that if you open your mouth and your different you will pay a huge price for it.

Jesus what area of the UK is this?
Original post by punkdilla
Jesus what area of the UK is this?

Devon and Cornwall.
It's a horrible word isn't it?
But I work in an industry dominated by teams of rough arsed white working class men, a demographic often accused of fostering racism
I have only once ever heard the N word used by one person about 10 yrs ago(talking about a celeb) and about 3 lads jumped on him calling him out as an a$$hole straight away.
If it wasn't for black people in movies, music and the media I would never hear it.
Perhaps if they stopped using it every other word it would die a death.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Pinkisk
Devon and Cornwall.

Rural parts of every country are filled with ignorance and casual racism. It is where people move to get away from minorities in cities!
Original post by Rainfall
Lmao.

she looks fit though, in the 2nd pic, my type of woman, jeeeeeeez
White people have been stealing from black culture for hundreds of years. So I am not surprised that some bimbo on instagram is following in the same stead. Just checkout how being curvy was used to insult black women but now we have white women like the kardashians (plastic) and ashley graham profiting of this trend of body positivity. It seems you can only be positive about your body shape/size if you are a white woman.
Original post by Alexty28
Honestly stuff like hip hop culture does come from black people but its still westernised culture. I think its different though when people start wearing traditional African garms, but honestly I don't see it as a major issue.

What I know about hop hop it come from America and America a very conservative country and black America are more conservative than whites. I ve been to America and most black America dislike hip hop because it sexist, racist, bad language etc. They don't let their children listen to it and their children would never use the language in these songs.
Original post by AngeryPenguin
Rural parts of every country are filled with ignorance and casual racism. It is where people move to get away from minorities in cities!

Yes, they have a lot far right extremist groups here. As part of my course we do training in hospitals and as part of that we get an induction. In the induction the hospital devoted a half an hour to raising awareness about white nationalist terrorist groups in Cornwall. I kid you not. I didn't even know things like that existed in the UK until I came to study here.

The University, where I study, which I am not going to name here was in the media recently in a huge scandal involving racism and this scandal is nothing compared to its reality. All our classes are so segregated its not even funny. White students do not mix at all with students from ethnic backgrounds. We had a class photo organised and taken by one of the students in our year recently. We have around 20 coloured students in our class and none of them were invited to take part. The picture is only of the white students. The racism outside the university is very overt. Inside the university its very covert and psychological. Students from minority backgrounds suffer a lot of marginalisation and abuse as a result of it. I would not be surprised if some time in the near future my university is going to be in the media again for something far worse than what happened here in April.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 95
Original post by Haviland-Tuf
White people have been stealing from black culture for hundreds of years. So I am not surprised that some bimbo on instagram is following in the same stead. Just checkout how being curvy was used to insult black women but now we have white women like the kardashians (plastic) and ashley graham profiting of this trend of body positivity. It seems you can only be positive about your body shape/size if you are a white woman.

So my body is cultural appropriation? I'm naturally curvy, and I do mean curvy not overweight or obese. I have a small waist, and big boobs, bum and hips. That's just how I am naturally, I don't exercise to look like this, I haven't had plastic surgery, it's just how I am. I like my body. If other people with a similar body type don't like their body, it's no reflection on me and nor is it any kind of cultural appropriation.
Original post by katf
So my body is cultural appropriation? I'm naturally curvy, and I do mean curvy not overweight or obese. I have a small waist, and big boobs, bum and hips. That's just how I am naturally, I don't exercise to look like this, I haven't had plastic surgery, it's just how I am. I like my body. If other people with a similar body type don't like their body, it's no reflection on me and nor is it any kind of cultural appropriation.

That good you like your body shape most people don't or dislike parts of their body. Most men/women whatever ethnic dislike their looks and want to get plastic surgery, lose weight put on weight, have white teeth etc.
Original post by katf

I never said naturally curvy white women were culturally appropriating black culture. Anybody can be curvy REGARDLESS of race. What I said was that I am confused by the mixed signals the media and advertising companies are sending because black women with naturally curvy bodies have been put down since the 50s up until a few years ago where we are seeing women like Nicki Minaj and Cardi B on advertising campaigns and mainstream media. In the past only curvy white women were embraced and black women with similar proportions were downtrodden because they were/are seen as less attractive than women like Marilyn Monroe, Camille Clifford and Anita Ekberg who were basically worshiped as pinups. Do your research. Even now in plus-size modelling you see mostly white women with Eurocentric features being shot on major campaigns whereas minority women are fighting over the crumbs.
Reply 98
Oh here we go,,, White women shaped like a bruised packet of McVities playing the victim to garner some sympathy. I never attacked naturally curvy women. I will not be accused of such vile behaviour by anyone - I will not stand for it.

I never said naturally curvy white women were culturally appropriating black culture. Anybody can be curvy REGARDLESS of race. What I said was that I am confused by the mixed signals the media and advertising companies are sending because black women with naturally curvy bodies have been put down since the 50s up until a few years ago where we are seeing women like Nicki Minaj and Cardi B on advertising campaigns and mainstream media. In the past only curvy white women were embraced and black women with similar proportions were downtrodden because they were/are seen as less attractive than women like Marilyn Monroe, Camille Clifford and Anita Ekberg who were basically worshiped as pinups. Do your research. Even now in plus-size modelling you see mostly white women with Eurocentric features being shot on major campaigns whereas minority women are fighting over the crumbs.

Shaped like a bruised packet of mcvities? That's a particularly insulting thing to say. And you claim not to demonise people for their body size and shape. If you are demonising Kim Kardashian for plastic surgery, I doubt you should use Nicki Minaj as a positive example of natural beauty, or talent for that matter.

Plus sized and curvy are not synonymous. You can be curvy, like me, and be an average weight and fit into smaller sizes. Or you can be plus sized but not have a defined waist and therefore not curvy. Now do you have any evidence that the problem of a lack of BAME models is worse in plus-size modelling than in other forms of modelling? If it is, that indicates a problem. If it isn't, then it obviously does not.
Oh here we go,,, White women shaped like a bruised packet of McVities playing the victim to garner some sympathy. I never attacked naturally curvy women. I will not be accused of such vile behaviour by anyone - I will not stand for it.

Most plus-size models are European because most women are of European descent who live in Western. Please stop your pc rants because your nothing but a sexist racist who dislike white white men. But you can't be racist to white people because of what a pc book said.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending