The Student Room Group

Dmu vs welsh school of architecture vs university of Wolverhampton

I am an architecture masters student MArch
What university do you think I should go with I’m really concerned about student lecturer relationship plus job/placement opportunity
Reply 1
Original post by Texdy
What university do you think I should go with I’m really concerned about student lecturer relationship plus job/placement opportunity
I can't speak for DMU and Wolverhampton, but I did my bachelors and masters at WSA and personally had a good experience. In league tables (to the extent that they matter) it also ranks considerably higher than the other two.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by Texdy

You might want to check if the courses are RIBA validated. According to the current list on RIBA's website, only De Montfort and WSA currently have accreditation for the MArch course. The other course isn't listed as having candidate status.

https://www.architecture.com/education-cpd-and-careers/riba-validation/riba-validated-schools-uk

Original post edited to correct info
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 3
Original post by normaw
You might want to check if the courses are RIBA validated. According to the current list on RIBA's website, only De Montfort currently has accreditation for its MArch course. The other two courses aren't even listed as having candidate status.
https://www.architecture.com/education-cpd-and-careers/riba-validation/riba-validated-schools-uk

WSA (like De Montfort) is fully accredited and RIBA validated for all 3 parts, it's Cardiff University's architecture department.
Original post by Pedr0
WSA (like De Montfort) is fully accredited and RIBA validated for all 3 parts, it's Cardiff University's architecture department.

Oops - realised I looked at the entry for Wales St Davids by mistake. Thanks for picking it up and I've edited by post. :colondollar:
Original post by Texdy

Hello @Texdy

I hope you are doing well. I wasn't a student onto the course, however, my friend was and she found it extremely fun. The course does not allow overcrowding which provides module leaders time to form good relations with their students and give them appropriate bespoke support when required. We do have a dedicated Careers and Placement Team that provides personalized guidance on CV building, conducting mock interviews, 1-on-1 career consultation, etc. My friend really enjoyed her course and the opportunities she received to an extent where she wanted to work in the department but there weren't any openings, however, now she does work as Teaching Assistant for Architecture course at DMU.

I will also suggest attending Open Days, PG events that the universities offer to gauge which university is suitable for you :yep:.

I hope this can help you make an informed decision. If you have any questions, do feel free to reach out.

Best,
Swarda, De Montfort University Rep :hello:
Reply 6
Original post by Pedr0
I can't speak for DMU and Wolverhampton, but I did my bachelors and masters at WSA and personally had a good experience. In league tables (to the extent that they matter) it also ranks considerably higher than the other two.

Hello about the placement were you able to get a paid placement and how did it go, did you face any challenges
Reply 7
Original post by Texdy
Hello about the placement were you able to get a paid placement and how did it go, did you face any challenges

I was able to get a placement but I won't lie the search was difficult. I didn't have any practice experience before I started MArch tho so if you have some experience it will likely be easier for you.

Also fyi you don't have to do your placement in the UK - I know some in my class worked in Europe, UAE, etc for the first year.
Reply 8
Original post by Pedr0
I was able to get a placement but I won't lie the search was difficult. I didn't have any practice experience before I started MArch tho so if you have some experience it will likely be easier for you.
Also fyi you don't have to do your placement in the UK - I know some in my class worked in Europe, UAE, etc for the first year.

But students are to go to school for a week or so in different months also do they require a work visa or something else when going to a did country , another concern I have is how diverse it is
I’ve gone through the instagram page to see if I could find other students but didn’t see any tag and I noticed most classes didn’t really have black students
Im just scared that it would be awkward
Reply 9
Original post by Texdy
But students are to go to school for a week or so in different months also do they require a work visa or something else when going to a did country , another concern I have is how diverse it is
I’ve gone through the instagram page to see if I could find other students but didn’t see any tag and I noticed most classes didn’t really have black students
Im just scared that it would be awkward

I have no idea about the details of how visas worked etc sorry. just going off what I remember from talking to classmates

Diversity - Cardiff as a city is probably not gonna be quite as diverse as Leicester or Wolverhampton (though still very diverse as it is a big city), and I will agree that in terms of raw numbers there weren't many Black students on the course, but the year group itself was very diverse so I don't think you'd be in danger of not fitting in. To be honest no one on the degree is really gonna care where you're from cause everyone's too busy with work lol. Also there are ethnic societies like at any uni so you can find people you share a cultural background with.

https://www.cardiffstudents.com/activities/societies/ (look in Cultural & International)
Reply 10
Original post by Pedr0
I have no idea about the details of how visas worked etc sorry. just going off what I remember from talking to classmates
Diversity - Cardiff as a city is probably not gonna be quite as diverse as Leicester or Wolverhampton (though still very diverse as it is a big city), and I will agree that in terms of raw numbers there weren't many Black students on the course, but the year group itself was very diverse so I don't think you'd be in danger of not fitting in. To be honest no one on the degree is really gonna care where you're from cause everyone's too busy with work lol. Also there are ethnic societies like at any uni so you can find people you share a cultural background with.
https://www.cardiffstudents.com/activities/societies/ (look in Cultural & International)

😂Yh everyone will be really busy
Okay thank you so much for replying and answering my questions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending