The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Dilemma

I want to be a business analyst and I’m stuck between 2 good Universities. My top choices are York and Lancaster but i don’t know which one to choose. If I choose York, I would be studying Accounting and Finance, but if I choose Lancaster I would be studying business analytics. I’m stuck between these because they are both very good Unis for business. Can I please get some advice.
Original post by Anonymous
I want to be a business analyst and I’m stuck between 2 good Universities. My top choices are York and Lancaster but i don’t know which one to choose. If I choose York, I would be studying Accounting and Finance, but if I choose Lancaster I would be studying business analytics. I’m stuck between these because they are both very good Unis for business. Can I please get some advice.

If you want a career as a business analyst, then a business analytics course would seem more appropriate. Have you gone through the course specification at both unis to see the differences in what they actually cover?

If is were me, the more appropriate course would make me prefer Lancaster. Also, their student satisfaction is 94% with 87% getting a 2:1 or above (source), compared to a York's student satisfaction of 71% with 75% getting a 2:1 or above (source). All other things being equal, that would seal the deal for me.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
If you want a career as a business analyst, then a business analytics course would seem more appropriate. Have you gone through the course specification at both unis to see the differences in what they actually cover?

If is were me, the more appropriate course would make me prefer Lancaster. Also, their student satisfaction is 94% with 87% getting a 2:1 or above (source), compared to a York's student satisfaction of 71% with 75% getting a 2:1 or above (source). All other things being equal, that would seal the deal for me.

both courses offer business analytics related modules but if i chose the course at York I feel like it would be easier to change a career if i didn’t like being a business analyst so i’m not sure what to do
Original post by Anonymous
both courses offer business analytics related modules but if i chose the course at York I feel like it would be easier to change a career if i didn’t like being a business analyst so i’m not sure what to do

You are correct, in that an Accounting and Finance degree is more flexible that a Business Analytics one. Looking at the "What are graduates doing after six months?" sections of the links I posted above, there doesn't appear to be a significant difference in terms of graduate prospects. Only you can decide whether you'd rather do a a slightly more "general" degree in order to try to give yourself more career flexibility.
Original post by Anonymous #1

Hi,
It's great to hear you're considering Lancaster! I don't study business analytics so I can't help on that front, but if you have any questions about student life at Lancaster feel free to ask. I'm in my third year studying natural sciences and I've really enjoyed my time at Lancaster so far.
Becky (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
Reply 5
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi,
It's great to hear you're considering Lancaster! I don't study business analytics so I can't help on that front, but if you have any questions about student life at Lancaster feel free to ask. I'm in my third year studying natural sciences and I've really enjoyed my time at Lancaster so far.

Hello. I have a few questions. What’s the city life like because I’m from London so i’m used to a busy environment with access to a variety of different stores so is the city busy and does it have many different stores or is it locally owned stores? I also wanted to know if it’s an ethnically diverse area with different cultural backgrounds because as a black woman I would love to learn more about different cultures. What type of society’s are there at the Uni and I’m not sure if it’s true but apparently it’s the students who make society’s so if I wanted to do that how would I go about it? And my last question is about the accommodation I looked on the website and I couldn’t find any pictures of what the accommodation looks like so I just want to know what style it is (modern, rustic?) and size of rooms. Sorry for the long list 😅
Reply 6
Hi,

I forgot to add what type of connections does Lancaster have with companies when it comes to placements
Hello. I have a few questions. What’s the city life like because I’m from London so i’m used to a busy environment with access to a variety of different stores so is the city busy and does it have many different stores or is it locally owned stores? I also wanted to know if it’s an ethnically diverse area with different cultural backgrounds because as a black woman I would love to learn more about different cultures. What type of society’s are there at the Uni and I’m not sure if it’s true but apparently it’s the students who make society’s so if I wanted to do that how would I go about it? And my last question is about the accommodation I looked on the website and I couldn’t find any pictures of what the accommodation looks like so I just want to know what style it is (modern, rustic?) and size of rooms. Sorry for the long list 😅

Hi

The city has a nice mix of high street stores and local independent shops and cafes and there are 2 shopping centres as well as markets on Wednesdays and Saturdays. It is very diverse due to the high numbers of international students and students from a wide range of backgrounds and cultures and you can learn more about them through the societies and join in with events held to celebrate throughout the year. There are hundreds of societies here with sports clubs, baking, subject specific ones, religious societies, political societies, folk, charity societies and motorsport to name a few but here's the link to view them all and find ones to get involved with: Groups @ Lancaster Students' Union (lancastersu.co.uk). Yes, it is true that you can make your own society and to do this you will need to attend an information and networking session and then make an application and present it. Here's the link to the information page so you can book onto the session Discover how to set up a new society @ Lancaster Students' Union (lancastersu.co.uk). Have a look on YouTube for tours of each accommodation Accommodation tours - YouTube but yes, they are modern. The only things is some of the beds are longer than standard but when applying that will be made clear to you.

Hope all that helps and don't worry about the long list, that's what we're here for!

Ella (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
Reply 8
Hi

The city has a nice mix of high street stores and local independent shops and cafes and there are 2 shopping centres as well as markets on Wednesdays and Saturdays. It is very diverse due to the high numbers of international students and students from a wide range of backgrounds and cultures and you can learn more about them through the societies and join in with events held to celebrate throughout the year. There are hundreds of societies here with sports clubs, baking, subject specific ones, religious societies, political societies, folk, charity societies and motorsport to name a few but here's the link to view them all and find ones to get involved with: Groups @ Lancaster Students' Union (lancastersu.co.uk). Yes, it is true that you can make your own society and to do this you will need to attend an information and networking session and then make an application and present it. Here's the link to the information page so you can book onto the session Discover how to set up a new society @ Lancaster Students' Union (lancastersu.co.uk). Have a look on YouTube for tours of each accommodation Accommodation tours - YouTube but yes, they are modern. The only things is some of the beds are longer than standard but when applying that will be made clear to you.

Hope all that helps and don't worry about the long list, that's what we're here for!

Ella (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)

Thanks for the reply, I also wanted to know what type of connections lancaster has with companies when it comes to placement years.
Thanks for the reply, I also wanted to know what type of connections lancaster has with companies when it comes to placement years.

Hi Anon,
Lancaster offers lots of support when it comes to placements, from specific careers focused modules, dedicated 1 to 1 support and guidance in getting placements, as well as regularly sending out information about available placements. In the past students from the management school have got placements with Adobe, EY, Unilever, Intel and Renault so there's a full range of options.
More information can be found here LUMS placements - Lancaster University
If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask!
-Jasmine (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Reply 10

I would strongly suggest you try and get along to the offer holders days if you possibly can.You can meet the tutors and ask all these questions to the people who really know.There is a Lancaster thread on here you should try too.It is worth noting York campus is quite a way out of York City
Hello,

Great to hear you are considering studying at Lancaster. My advice would be to pick a uni that feels right for you. I would recommend visiting both Lancaster and York and deciding which campus/city best suits you. You are deciding where to spend the next few years, and want to make sure you will enjoy living where you pick. Lancaster is a small city but that means it feels very homely! I agree you should try to attend our offer holder days and explore the area!

Good luck with your applications!
Holly

Lancaster Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending