The Student Room Group

English Paper 2 Section B

Hi! My teacher says she has too much marking. Can someone give me a grade for this from 9-1 and a mark out of thirty?

This is aimed at college leavers and is a speech about what makes a good educationL

Thank you!

Dear Students,

After 12 years, we have finally reached the end of our journey. However, if the education we were getting does not qualify as good, has the last decade of schooling just been a waste of our time? Is the education we are getting really useful? What even makes a good education?

How proud must your families be now that you have graduated? These are the people who have been on our sides since the very first step. They have had the most influence on us. They have moulded our attitudes, reactions and behaviour. Without their support, would you have felt inclined to try your best at school? We have achieved the greatest of our potential with their help and so our family and friends certainly are necessary for a good education.

Discipline - many days, most of us have probably spent nights procrastinating instead of having the discipline to get ahead or catch up at school. I knew a girl, who wrote amazing fiction, yet she would never do her English homework and opted to spend nights watching Netflix. In the end, she received bad grades from her teacher and in her final exams. She prevented herself from reaching her highest potential. Talent does not give you the best education in a subject; Discipline does.

Work experience in Year ten was certainly one of my most favourite memories especially since we did not have to attend school for a whole week. Have you ever wondered how much easier it would be to learn and understand by actually doing something instead of reading and writing about it? This is why chemistry teachers make us do practicals. School is meant to teach us skills for work. Nevertheless, would these skills not be easier attained through work experience. Dr. Arkham says "Students who start doing volunteering work from a younger age, tend to get higher GCSE and A level grades and be more successful in getting into university.' Work experience teaches us to apply our skills to real life situations from an early age and so by only getting a week of work experience, are we getting the best education that will help us in the future?

Lawyer and politician Robert. G Ingersol once said "It is a thousand times better to have common sense without education than to have education without common sense". You are intelligent young people, however, without common sense, you cannot get anywhere in life. Common sense although it is a "skill" which that we acquired by ourselves can only be achieved in a suitable environment. Students mirror their teacher. Students learn to think like their teachers. With a teacher, with no common sense, how can we achieve the best education. Whether we love them or hate them our teachers have massive influences on us as the architects of our future. Good teachers give a good education.

Discipline, experience and the environment shape our attitude to learning. With a lack of will to learn, we are prohibiting ourselves from receiving the greatest education we can. Having a good attitude is most key to a good education.

Thank you.

Scroll to see replies

Unfortunately I'm no marker, I'm a student, just like you; but you should specify that you're talking about English Language and not Literature. The title can be just a bit confusing, that's all :smile:
Not a marker, but your teacher should be ashamed of herself and needs reminding that this is her job.
Reply 3
Original post by Phoebee1998
Not a marker, but your teacher should be ashamed of herself and needs reminding that this is her job.
:smile: Yeah, I asked her but she said she's marking too much essays even though we barely do essays.
Hi, PM me and i can mark it and fill out a mark sheet and scan it to you :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by tedholbrook
Hi, PM me and i can mark it and fill out a mark sheet and scan it to you :smile:

Thank you so much! :smile:
No problem, please message me
Reply 7
Original post by doctarv
Unfortunately I'm no marker, I'm a student, just like you; but you should specify that you're talking about English Language and not Literature. The title can be just a bit confusing, that's all :smile:

Okay, thanks!
hey could you share how many marks this got please (-:
Original post by failingschoollol
when i marked this it was grade 8
Reply 10
Original post by failingschoollol
My tecaher is a harsh marker but she game a 6/7! :smile: The highest anybody got a was 7 and I thought that girl's essay was really good and worth more than that.
Original post by Pravi29
My tecaher is a harsh marker but she game a 6/7! :smile: The highest anybody got a was 7 and I thought that girl's essay was really good and worth more than that.

So what mark out of thirty was it?
Reply 12
Original post by Tolgarda
So what mark out of thirty was it?

She didn't give us marks - just a grade.
That’s a 5+ 6-
Original post by Pravi29
She didn't give us marks - just a grade.

Well that's not very useful. You want to know how close you might have been to getting the next grade...
hi everybody. I actually wrote an answer to the same question and was wondering if anybody could read my answer and give me some constructive criticism? I would be very very thankful. Please let me know if you could do that :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by vix.xvi
hi everybody. I actually wrote an answer to the same question and was wondering if anybody could read my answer and give me some constructive criticism? I would be very very thankful. Please let me know if you could do that :smile:

Hey! I did my GCSE last year and I’m the OP. I could try giving you some feedback.
Original post by Prana2002
Hey! I did my GCSE last year and I’m the OP. I could try giving you some feedback.

Thank you so much. I'll pm you, if that's ok.
Reply 18
Original post by vix.xvi
Thank you so much. I'll pm you, if that's ok.

That’s fine!
Original post by Pravi29
Hi! My teacher says she has too much marking. Can someone give me a grade for this from 9-1 and a mark out of thirty?

This is aimed at college leavers and is a speech about what makes a good educationL

Thank you!

Dear Students,

After 12 years, we have finally reached the end of our journey. However, if the education we were getting does not qualify as good, has the last decade of schooling just been a waste of our time? Is the education we are getting really useful? What even makes a good education?

How proud must your families be now that you have graduated? These are the people who have been on our sides since the very first step. They have had the most influence on us. They have moulded our attitudes, reactions and behaviour. Without their support, would you have felt inclined to try your best at school? We have achieved the greatest of our potential with their help and so our family and friends certainly are necessary for a good education.

Discipline - many days, most of us have probably spent nights procrastinating instead of having the discipline to get ahead or catch up at school. I knew a girl, who wrote amazing fiction, yet she would never do her English homework and opted to spend nights watching Netflix. In the end, she received bad grades from her teacher and in her final exams. She prevented herself from reaching her highest potential. Talent does not give you the best education in a subject; Discipline does.

Work experience in Year ten was certainly one of my most favourite memories especially since we did not have to attend school for a whole week. Have you ever wondered how much easier it would be to learn and understand by actually doing something instead of reading and writing about it? This is why chemistry teachers make us do practicals. School is meant to teach us skills for work. Nevertheless, would these skills not be easier attained through work experience. Dr. Arkham says "Students who start doing volunteering work from a younger age, tend to get higher GCSE and A level grades and be more successful in getting into university.' Work experience teaches us to apply our skills to real life situations from an early age and so by only getting a week of work experience, are we getting the best education that will help us in the future?

Lawyer and politician Robert. G Ingersol once said "It is a thousand times better to have common sense without education than to have education without common sense". You are intelligent young people, however, without common sense, you cannot get anywhere in life. Common sense although it is a "skill" which that we acquired by ourselves can only be achieved in a suitable environment. Students mirror their teacher. Students learn to think like their teachers. With a teacher, with no common sense, how can we achieve the best education. Whether we love them or hate them our teachers have massive influences on us as the architects of our future. Good teachers give a good education.

Discipline, experience and the environment shape our attitude to learning. With a lack of will to learn, we are prohibiting ourselves from receiving the greatest education we can. Having a good attitude is most key to a good education.

Thank you.

This is a fantastic piece of writing. I would say you got 26/30

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending