The Student Room Group

S1 a level cie help please

Can someone help me with the below question please , I really can’t solve it .
Original post by Universecolors
Can someone help me with the below question please , I really can’t solve it .

11EC5EBB-B3DD-4963-8B09-D37E5498C758.jpg.jpeg
Reply 2
What are you having a problem with?
Original post by mqb2766
What are you having a problem with?

I just can solve it , I don’t know how ?
Reply 4
I just can solve it , I don’t know how ?

(can't?) What percentages take
Maths & Chemistry only
Maths & Biology only
then ...
Original post by mqb2766
(can't?) What percentages take
Maths & Chemistry only
Maths & Biology only
then ...

Ok I tried everything ok ? I can’t get 0.3 which is the answer
Reply 6
Ok I tried everything ok ? I can’t get 0.3 which is the answer

Sorry, I thought you were asking about the 2nd part as you'd written the answer for the first part
Draw a venn diagram for the sets Biology and Chemistry. To find the percentage that do either Chemistry or Biology
50% Chemistry
30% Biology
10% Both (overlap)
If you simply add Chemistry and Biology, is this right, if not how do you correct it?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by mqb2766
Sorry, I thought you were asking about the 2nd part as you'd written the answer for the first part
Draw a venn diagram for the sets Biology and Chemistry
50% Chemistry
30% Biology
10% Both (overlap)
If you simply add Chemistry and Biology, is this right, if not how do you correct it?

I really really don’t get it , can you please elaborate a bit more , because I already know what u wrote I just can’t solve it , it says the answer is 0.3
Reply 8
I really really don’t get it , can you please elaborate a bit more , because I already know what u wrote I just can’t solve it , it says the answer is 0.3

I'm trying to get you to approach the problem. Have you drawn a venn diagram for the two sets, if not, try doing it. It makes the numbers clear.
Original post by mqb2766
I'm trying to get you to approach the problem. Have you drawn a venn diagram for the two sets, if not, try doing it. It makes the numbers clear.

I can’t draw it because I don’t understand , I’m really stuck .
I can’t draw it because I don’t understand , I’m really stuck .

The first example in
https://www.ck12.org/probability/venn-diagrams/lesson/Probability-Using-a-Venn-Diagram-and-Conditional-Probability-ALG-II/
is something like what you want. Have a think about how your problem maps onto it, what is similar, what is different.
Original post by mqb2766
The first example in
https://www.ck12.org/probability/venn-diagrams/lesson/Probability-Using-a-Venn-Diagram-and-Conditional-Probability-ALG-II/
is something like what you want. Have a think about how your problem maps onto it, what is similar, what is different.

B63B7065-9E85-42ED-983E-3300ADC326B2.jpg.jpeg

Hey can you please help out with q 11 when you find the time
B63B7065-9E85-42ED-983E-3300ADC326B2.jpg.jpeg

Hey can you please help out with q 11 when you find the time

What do you understand about the problem? Its relatively straightforward.
* What outcomes are there?
* What is the probability of each outcome?
* What is the expected value?
Original post by mqb2766
What do you understand about the problem? Its relatively straightforward.
* What outcomes are there?
* What is the probability of each outcome?
* What is the expected value?

I don’t understand part a ?
I realized that, try starting to answer the 3 questions in the previous post.
Original post by mqb2766
I realized that, try starting to answer the 3 questions in the previous post.

I already solved all the questions I sent u before , I just have a hard time understanding 11 a ? Can u guide me through it ?
I already solved all the questions I sent u before , I just have a hard time understanding 11 a ? Can u guide me through it ?

Try starting to answer the 3 points in post 13, I do know which question we're talking about.
If you don't understand what the possible outcomes are, simply guiding you through this question won't help in the long run.
Original post by mqb2766
Try starting to answer the 3 points in post 13, I do know which question we're talking about.
If you don't understand what the possible outcomes are, simply guiding you through this question won't help in the long run.

CBA56540-0BBA-4381-AB22-A98925E9F9EB.jpg.jpeg

Hey can you please tell me whether we apply continuous correction here , because I am not seeing it in that example ? Do we apply CC when we do the central limit theorem ? Please help

Quick Reply

Latest