The Student Room Group

i have done awfully in my mocks

hi eveyone,
im about half way through my december mocks and i know i have done terribly. i did very little revision and am freaking out . how important are mocks for GCSE? i know im going to open the envelope on results day (we have a fake results day, how dumb), and be dissapointed. is there enough time for me to get my act together? im going to revise over christmas, and am going to plan meeting with my teachers to talk about my grades, but is it enough?please help, i need advice!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
oof same. I took mock tests and got a C and a B, and I am the A+-student-that-freaks-out-if-i-don't-get-an-A type. I'm hoping I find enought time to study for finals...
Reply 2
relaxing at christmas is not looking like an option at this point ffs. gcses are kicking my ass (Original post by gigidgs)oof same. I took mock tests and got a C and a B, and I am the A+-student-that-freaks-out-if-i-don't-get-an-A type. I'm hoping I find enought time to study for finals...
Dude, same. For some exams, I managed to find the mark scheme online, which seemed to work. I also didn't revise much at all and my predicted grades are 8 ... so yeah. I am a little screwed, and last minute revision is screwing my head up.
Mocks are not important unless you revised because then they show you if your revision is working.
Reply 5
Original post by ZombieTheWolf
Mocks are not important unless you revised because then they show you if your revision is working.

do colleges/sixth forms look at them very seriously??
Original post by potnoodelss
do colleges/sixth forms look at them very seriously??

o, they might yeah. See, I was a lazy git and just stayed in my school sixth form cause they have even let people in with 2 gcses cause theyre super nice. So I revised closer to the exams. But if you're applying somewhere else they might use your mocks to predict your grades in the real thing. (when we apply for uni, our teacher can give us any grade and the uni doesn't look at our mocks so ask your teacher if this is the case for applying to colleges and sixth forms)
Don’t worry! I did my GCSEs last year and my mock grades weren’t the best. I was getting 5s on average for most subjects. From my first mock in year 10 to last mocks in year 11 there was literally no improvement, still getting 5s but in the actual GCSEs got on average 7s. For one subject i failed every single mock for it and still passed it. Just make sure you REVISE these holidays, don’t procrastinate and you still have 5months which is still A LOT of time. Good luck
Reply 8
o, they might yeah. See, I was a lazy git and just stayed in my school sixth form cause they have even let people in with 2 gcses cause theyre super nice. So I revised closer to the exams. But if you're applying somewhere else they might use your mocks to predict your grades in the real thing. (when we apply for uni, our teacher can give us any grade and the uni doesn't look at our mocks so ask your teacher if this is the case for applying to colleges and sixth forms)

i wanna stay at my school,but i need 5 6s, and a 6 in maths and english language. i really dont wanna go anywhere else, so im super scared i wont get in lol kms
Original post by potnoodelss
i wanna stay at my school,but i need 5 6s, and a 6 in maths and english language. i really dont wanna go anywhere else, so im super scared i wont get in lol kms

Just tell them what happened. Would you rather they think you revised and got poor grades or just didn't revise?
I would tell the person in charge of the sixth form, and say it was due to lack of revision but you are revising now. Chances are they don't care about your mock grades anyway, cause its an extension of your high school and not an individual college/sixth form
Just tell them what happened. Would you rather they think you revised and got poor grades or just didn't revise?
I would tell the person in charge of the sixth form, and say it was due to lack of revision but you are revising now. Chances are they don't care about your mock grades anyway, cause its an extension of your high school and not an individual college/sixth form

thank you :smile:
Ah I remember freaking out over my year 11 mocks like it was yesterday :moon:

It honestly doesn't really matter if you don't do as well as you hoped. Just take this as a lesson that you can't leave everything until the last minute for the real exams. You have 5ish(?) months until your GCSEs start, that's more than enough time to come up with a plan and revise everything in detail. Don't worry. I'm pretty sure most sixth forms won't even look at your mock grades unless you're applying for one of those super competitive ones.

Good luck!
Original post by cbains02
Don’t worry! I did my GCSEs last year and my mock grades weren’t the best. I was getting 5s on average for most subjects. From my first mock in year 10 to last mocks in year 11 there was literally no improvement, still getting 5s but in the actual GCSEs got on average 7s. For one subject i failed every single mock for it and still passed it. Just make sure you REVISE these holidays, don’t procrastinate and you still have 5months which is still A LOT of time. Good luck

thank you, this actually calmed me down (hate the new GCSEs though, a 7 sounds so far away from a 9, so my parents will probably be disapointed ffs) (that wasnt meant to sound rude, cingratulations, those are incredible results!)
Original post by MinaBee
Ah I remember freaking out over my year 11 mocks like it was yesterday :moon:

It honestly doesn't really matter if you don't do as well as you hoped. Just take this as a lesson that you can't leave everything until the last minute for the real exams. You have 5ish(?) months until your GCSEs start, that's more than enough time to come up with a plan and revise everything in detail. Don't worry. I'm pretty sure most sixth forms won't even look at your mock grades unless you're applying for one of those super competitive ones.

Good luck!

thank youxx
Don't let mocks or GCSE's get you down in any way.

I failed most of my mocks and passed my GCSE's. I failed most of my AS and A level mocks and passed them fine, too.

In any case, if you study hard after failure, you'll be bound to succeed. Let the failure teach you where you went wrong :_:
not the real thing honestly don't worry too much

learn what the exam wants form you from this instead
same :s-smilie: but they don't really count for anything unless your school are
putting them as your grades on your UCAS. Just learn from the mistakes and START REVISING NOW
well same here but i'm taking a break over christmas and working my socks off in january until exams
Original post by XKangaotiCX
Dude, same. For some exams, I managed to find the mark scheme online, which seemed to work. I also didn't revise much at all and my predicted grades are 8 ... so yeah. I am a little screwed, and last minute revision is screwing my head up.

Looking for and using mark schemes was foolish - how does that help?! You won;t have access to the in the summer and your teacher won't know how to help you best.
Maybe this will be a wakeup call for you to begin revision now for your real exams rather than leave it to the last 2 weeks. It's your own fault for leaving it so late and doing so little.

Then again, mocks are practice for the real exam, they are not the real thing.

Quick Reply

Latest