The Student Room Group

Learning basic vocabulary list for Higher Level GCSE in French - is that enough?

I'm learning the grammar and vocabulary for AQA GCSE French - I haven't done a mock before, is that enough to know for the GCSE?
Reply 1
Learning all grammar and vocab will be enough in theory for reading/writing as then everything else can be interpreted. You also will need to identify these from hearing for listening though, which is harder if you dont practise specifically that.
for speaking you will need to work on pronunciation and answering questions quickly.
you can always take some practise papers and see how you get on :smile:
Reply 2
Okay thankyou.
Have you done your French GCSE?
If you have do you have any advice?
Reply 3
Original post by A2324
Okay thankyou.
Have you done your French GCSE?
If you have do you have any advice?

I can get back to you on that in about 2 months :smile:
Original post by lucyy06
I can get back to you on that in about 2 months :smile:

how was it ?
Reply 5
Original post by riley.luce
how was it ?

It was good, I got a grade 9 and highest in my school lol after like a 7 in my mocks. I can tell you exactly what I did but it might not work for you, it just suited the way I learn.

For speaking I learned a load of answers to any potential questions that may be asked, for all topics which mostly covered everything. I used quizlet, and got it to read out the question side to me to simulate the speaking. This was my worst part as I got caught out on some vocab I didn’t know and I was very nervous so stuttering pretty bad, but the final score wasn’t awful.

For reading and listening icl I did all my revision the day before. I went through the core vocab book and covered up the English side. Any french words I didn’t know what they meant I wrote out with the English translation next to it. I then repeated that with all the words I wrote down until I, in theory, knew every word. Worked wonders for me.
For writing I did the same thing I did for speaking but I simplified my answers and made sure I knew how to spell everything. Vocab helpful for understanding the questions. My response was a little bit wacky but the examiners don’t mind that as long as it makes sense, so have fun with it!
I’m no longer taking french but if u have any more questions feel free to lmk.
omg a nine is really good especially the highest in your school
im aiming for a nine this time round as I was just close to one in my mocks I hope ill be able to get one because I feel like ts definitely do able
I think ill probably end up doing it the way u revised anyways cuz it seems the most useful to me by doing the most minimal effort
also dye have any tips on speaking as I have it in 2 days
like anything you wish u did different or what you think you did well on
im honestly getting waves of nerves I really dont want to feel nervous but I always feel like my answers aren't adequate enough in the exam so I get extra confused but in my marks they dont seem to be that bad
I think I mess up in general convo the most cuz I get scared and forget a lot
these were my grades for the last speaking mock

Role Play Communication 10 /10
Role Play Knowledge and Use of Language 4/5
Role Play Total 14/15
Photocard 12/15
Gen Con Comm 8/10
Gen on Range and Acc 8 /10
Gen Con Pro and Int 4/5
Gen Con Spont and Flu 4/5
Gen Con Total 24/30
speaking PPE Total 50/60
Overall grade 8
(edited 1 week ago)
Reply 7
Original post by riley.luce
omg a nine is really good especially the highest in your school
im aiming for a nine this time round as I was just close to one in my mocks I hope ill be able to get one because I feel like ts definitely do able
I think ill probably end up doing it the way u revised anyways cuz it seems the most useful to me by doing the most minimal effort
also dye have any tips on speaking as I have it in 2 days
like anything you wish u did different or what you think you did well on
im honestly getting waves of nerves I really dont want to feel nervous but I always feel like my answers aren't adequate enough in the exam so I get extra confused but in my marks they dont seem to be that bad
I think I mess up in general convo the most cuz I get scared and forget a lot
these were my grades for the last speaking mock
Role Play Communication 10 /10
Role Play Knowledge and Use of Language 4/5
Role Play Total 14/15
Photocard 12/15
Gen Con Comm 8/10
Gen on Range and Acc 8 /10
Gen Con Pro and Int 4/5
Gen Con Spont and Flu 4/5
Gen Con Total 24/30
speaking PPE Total 50/60
Overall grade 8

Honestly if that was ur mock grade u will probs do fine, i got like 48/60 in my speaking so you’re already doing better than me! 50/60 should be enough for a nine for the record, ur school is likely being harsh to motivate you.
Speaking was my worst section so I’m not sure how helpful my tips will be. What went wrong for me is that I was very nervous and I wish I had just taken it slower and not panicked so much (easier said than done I know) so try to go into the exam in a good headspace. Its scary not knowing what they’ll ask you &what they want u to say, but as long as you come up with coherent answers you’ll do great- my answers personally were a bit strange e.g. said that my mother dropped me on my head as a baby, but anything (that won’t flag safeguarding) goes. I also wish I’d looked a bit closer at some core vocab because I got caught out by a keyword in role play, but it’s still only a few marks.
If something goes wrong you just need to power through- I thought my speaking went awfully at the time but it was actually ok. Your teacher isn’t out to get you, and though obviously they can’t help you don’t be afraid to ask them to repeat the question.
Best of luck!
Original post by lucyy06
Honestly if that was ur mock grade u will probs do fine, i got like 48/60 in my speaking so you’re already doing better than me! 50/60 should be enough for a nine for the record, ur school is likely being harsh to motivate you.
Speaking was my worst section so I’m not sure how helpful my tips will be. What went wrong for me is that I was very nervous and I wish I had just taken it slower and not panicked so much (easier said than done I know) so try to go into the exam in a good headspace. Its scary not knowing what they’ll ask you &what they want u to say, but as long as you come up with coherent answers you’ll do great- my answers personally were a bit strange e.g. said that my mother dropped me on my head as a baby, but anything (that won’t flag safeguarding) goes. I also wish I’d looked a bit closer at some core vocab because I got caught out by a keyword in role play, but it’s still only a few marks.
If something goes wrong you just need to power through- I thought my speaking went awfully at the time but it was actually ok. Your teacher isn’t out to get you, and though obviously they can’t help you don’t be afraid to ask them to repeat the question.
Best of luck!

thanks for the advice its really appreciated
I think for a nine it was abt 51/60 so it was close which is why im not as nervous because I thought it was bad last time as well. yh I also feel like my answers come out a bit rushed and I think i should've just be talking at a slower and calm pace even when reading my role-play etc because I always for get abt itonantion and my fluency then as it needs to flow somewhat naturally and not robotically ykwim. thats true I feel like when I go into the prep room for the 12 minutes im a bit panicked there I manage to calm down to some extent whilst writing but as soon as she starts the recording and says my details its so scary for me 😐️ I need to just trick myself into thinking this is for a mock because I actually freak out when she starts saying the year and 2024 speaking gcse and stuff. I guess u would've intrigued ur examiners with that statement though cuz of its spontaneity and the fact that its different. honestly I have no clue how to say that or anything of that sort so I dont think safeguarding will be an issue for me 😭
yh I was thinking to look over the spec vocabulary so I dont get caught out in the role-play cuz that happened to me once
I feel like it would be really useful so I agree with that
I think in the heat of the moment everyone feels that way I think I should really try on focus on delivering the highest quality without being to shaky which as u said is hard to do and also ur right my teachers quite nice in the exam and she doesn't ask questions she feels we would struggle on and I think she would've picked a decent photocard for me
thank youu again!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending