The Student Room Group

Anyone that went to Woodhouse, Latymer or Ashmole SIXTH FORM

I am applying for sixth form to Woodhouse, latymer and ashmole and I had some questions.
How many frees do you get a week
If you have a day where you have no lessons in the afternoon can you go home
What kind of support do they offer(e.g catch up lessons at lunch etc.)
What kind of clubs/societies are there

An answer to any of these questions would be much appreciated😊😊😊😊😊
Reply 1
7th year at Latymer. we get loads of frees and you're allowed to leave if you have no lessons. dress code is most relaxed of any school I know of. many events , clubs and societies all student led. by far academically Superior and more historical out of the 3. not to mention the sixth form block is amazing.
Reply 2
Original post by maklito
7th year at Latymer. we get loads of frees and you're allowed to leave if you have no lessons. dress code is most relaxed of any school I know of. many events , clubs and societies all student led. by far academically Superior and more historical out of the 3. not to mention the sixth form block is amazing.

They have a sixth form block? Is it separate from the main school cos I didn't see it on the open day
Reply 3
yes it has a kiosk where you can get food and drinks and other snacks with computers upstairs, a private study room and lockers which is all away from the school , where we spend most of our time it's the newest part of the school
Reply 4
Original post by maklito
yes it has a kiosk where you can get food and drinks and other snacks with computers upstairs, a private study room and lockers which is all away from the school , where we spend most of our time it's the newest part of the school

Thanks so much, you've been really helpful
Original post by stephsmhb
I am applying for sixth form to Woodhouse, latymer and ashmole and I had some questions.

Hello

I’m also an existing Latymer student.

Free periods

You get 7 hours of free periods in the Lower Sixth and 12 hours in the Upper Sixth per week. Once you have had your last lesson of the day you are free to go home. If you have no lessons before lunch, you can come in at lunch. You can leave the site at any time if you want to go to the local shops.

Clubs and societies

Latymer is well known for its societies. I list some of them below. All sixth form students can set up their own if they wish. There are also sports clubs.

Support

Pastoral care is provided by your Head of Year. They’ll arrange any support like counselling etc. Academically some departments operate drop-in surgeries (although this is very much dependent on demand). Mentoring by older students is available. However if you feel you’ll need academic support from the off, then Latymer may not be the best place for you. There is emphasis on the vast majority of the input being in lesson times. Academically the school works on a high—grade basis (you’re expected to get As or A*s without additional support).

EDIT TO ADD: Nonetheless practically any teacher will be willing to render you assistance if you ask them. My main point is that it's there if you need it but it won't end well if you constantly rely on it.

Societies

Afro-Caribbean society

Amnesty International Society

Anime Society

Art Soc

Benchball/Corner football

BioChem Soc

Book Club Years 10-13

Biomedical Society

Charities Committee

Chess Members Club

Christian Union

Comic Book Society

CompSci

Debating Society

Dental Society

Economics Society

Engineering Society

French Debating Society

Foreign Films Society

Gaming Society

Geog Soc

German Film Club

Jewnion

KPOP Society

Law Society

LGBT+ Society

Marxism Society

Maths Society

MedSoc

Palaeontological Society

Philosophy Society

Photography Society

Physics Society

Politics Society

Psychology Society

Senior Dodgeball Society

Star Wars Society

The Latymer Islamic Society

Vet Soc
(edited 5 years ago)

Hey, I’m currently a Year 12 student at Woodhouse! Allow me to answer your questions...

1) This really depends on whether you do 3 or 4 subjects; personally I don’t have a lot of frees but I do have lots of late starts and early finishes! But I have a lot of friends who have really long 4 hour frees...

2) Yes, you can! On Monday, I actually start at 9 and finish at 12. You can leave whenever you don’t have a lesson.

3) To begin with, there’s something called ‘supervised study’ at Woodhouse, which is basically an hour of private study. I don’t really know if that’s support, but...

Secondly, there’s subject tutorial, where you basically go to any of your subjects on Thursday afternoon at 3:15 to receive help. This really differs between each department; some subjects like English have structured lectures, whereas in subjects like History and Politics, you just drop in to see a teacher and ask for help.

And then there’s tutorial, which you have once a week. Your tutors are there to inform you about stuff like work experience, UCAS, as well as more personal stuff. On top of that, if you have low attendance or problems with grades or teachers or anything, the tutors often will pull you aside from the rest of the class to catch up with you; not like a punishment, but to see if all is well.

4) There’s literally LOADS. We have something called Woodhouse Plus, and that’s every Wednesday after lunch; meaning all lessons finish at 1pm. There’s clubs like Afrobeats dance class, boxing, creative writing, sports (Woodhouse Active); as well as more academic stuff like Oxbridge Academy or Medicine Academy.

And of course, there’s societies like Afro Carribean, LGBT, feminist, Amnesty, politics etc. Sorry I haven’t mentioned all of them, but there is literally 5 pages worth of extra curricular stuff I can’t be bothered to go through.

OK, hope I helped you!
Reply 8
Original post by HisMajesty_Kwabz
Hey, I’m currently a Year 12 student at Woodhouse! Allow me to answer your questions...

1) This really depends on whether you do 3 or 4 subjects; personally I don’t have a lot of frees but I do have lots of late starts and early finishes! But I have a lot of friends who have really long 4 hour frees...

2) Yes, you can! On Monday, I actually start at 9 and finish at 12. You can leave whenever you don’t have a lesson.

3) To begin with, there’s something called ‘supervised study’ at Woodhouse, which is basically an hour of private study. I don’t really know if that’s support, but...

Secondly, there’s subject tutorial, where you basically go to any of your subjects on Thursday afternoon at 3:15 to receive help. This really differs between each department; some subjects like English have structured lectures, whereas in subjects like History and Politics, you just drop in to see a teacher and ask for help.

And then there’s tutorial, which you have once a week. Your tutors are there to inform you about stuff like work experience, UCAS, as well as more personal stuff. On top of that, if you have low attendance or problems with grades or teachers or anything, the tutors often will pull you aside from the rest of the class to catch up with you; not like a punishment, but to see if all is well.

4) There’s literally LOADS. We have something called Woodhouse Plus, and that’s every Wednesday after lunch; meaning all lessons finish at 1pm. There’s clubs like Afrobeats dance class, boxing, creative writing, sports (Woodhouse Active); as well as more academic stuff like Oxbridge Academy or Medicine Academy.

And of course, there’s societies like Afro Carribean, LGBT, feminist, Amnesty, politics etc. Sorry I haven’t mentioned all of them, but there is literally 5 pages worth of extra curricular stuff I can’t be bothered to go through.

OK, hope I helped you!

Omg that was so useful. Thank you. I wanna do 4 subjects too but from what you have said the workload doesn't seem too much
Omg that was so useful. Thank you. I wanna do 4 subjects too but from what you have said the workload doesn't seem too much

Well, in Year 12 the work isn't that much harder to understand (not unless you're doing Maths or a Science subject). But if you wanna do 4 subjects, I believe you need an average of at least 7 in your GCSEs... I got a 6.9. Too bad.
Reply 10
Original post by HisMajesty_Kwabz
Well, in Year 12 the work isn't that much harder to understand (not unless you're doing Maths or a Science subject). But if you wanna do 4 subjects, I believe you need an average of at least 7 in your GCSEs... I got a 6.9. Too bad.

Well i'm doing maths and a science so....
I mostly get 8's and 9's so fingers crossed they will let me do 4 subjects
Well i'm doing maths and a science so....
I mostly get 8's and 9's so fingers crossed they will let me do 4 subjects

It’s definitely very likely you will end up doing 4. You can also drop at any time if you feel that the work is too much.
Reply 12
sorry to message you again after such a long time but i had another question and I was hoping you could answer it?
1. Is the sixth form centre nice/ a good space for working
2. Do you get given opportunities like trips, speakers coming to the school etc.
3. Is it extremely competitive , like people always comparing grades, looking down on you if you get a B?
4. Does everyone want to go to oxbridge or a russel group
5. Do most people live nearby (e.g in enfield) as i heard of people living almost 2 hours away and going there.

Sorry for having so many questions but i am just struggling to make up my mind between latymer and ashmole
Original post by SaveOurSchool
Hello

I’m also an existing Latymer student.

Free periods

You get 7 hours of free periods in the Lower Sixth and 12 hours in the Upper Sixth per week. Once you have had your last lesson of the day you are free to go home. If you have no lessons before lunch, you can come in at lunch. You can leave the site at any time if you want to go to the local shops.

Clubs and societies

Latymer is well known for its societies. I list some of them below. All sixth form students can set up their own if they wish. There are also sports clubs.

Support

Pastoral care is provided by your Head of Year. They’ll arrange any support like counselling etc. Academically some departments operate drop-in surgeries (although this is very much dependent on demand). Mentoring by older students is available. However if you feel you’ll need academic support from the off, then Latymer may not be the best place for you. There is emphasis on the vast majority of the input being in lesson times. Academically the school works on a high—grade basis (you’re expected to get As or A*s without additional support).

EDIT TO ADD: Nonetheless practically any teacher will be willing to render you assistance if you ask them. My main point is that it's there if you need it but it won't end well if you constantly rely on it.

Societies

Afro-Caribbean society

Amnesty International Society

Anime Society

Art Soc

Benchball/Corner football

BioChem Soc

Book Club Years 10-13

Biomedical Society

Charities Committee

Chess Members Club

Christian Union

Comic Book Society

CompSci

Debating Society

Dental Society

Economics Society

Engineering Society

French Debating Society

Foreign Films Society

Gaming Society

Geog Soc

German Film Club

Jewnion

KPOP Society

Law Society

LGBT+ Society

Marxism Society

Maths Society

MedSoc

Palaeontological Society

Philosophy Society

Photography Society

Physics Society

Politics Society

Psychology Society

Senior Dodgeball Society

Star Wars Society

The Latymer Islamic Society

Vet Soc
sorry to message you again after such a long time but i had another question and I was hoping you could answer it?
1. Is the sixth form centre nice/ a good space for working
2. Do you get given opportunities like trips, speakers coming to the school etc.
3. Is it extremely competitive , like people always comparing grades, looking down on you if you get a B?
4. Does everyone want to go to oxbridge or a russel group
5. Do most people live nearby (e.g in enfield) as i heard of people living almost 2 hours away and going there.

Sorry for having so many questions but i am just struggling to make up my mind between latymer and ashmole

1. The common room lacks comfy chairs but is otherwise a nice spacious recreation space. The study room is well-equipped for working and is kept quiet - there is also a separate library and a learning resources centre, staffed by a very knowledgeable Chartered Librarian.
2. Varies from subject to subject - science have quite a few trips (and most people go on them). There are regular lectures on topics and lectures in central London are well patronised by Latymer student and you'll always find someone to go along with.
3. A-levels are challenging so most people don't expect you to be getting As - people always strive to get better but you won't get looked down upon.
4. Oxbridge is overhyped and fewer people than you would expect apply - however most will be applying to Russell Group or the foreign equivalent (because they are the decent unis)
5. Many live in Enfield (particularly Southgate/Palmers Green) but people come from miles around - it depends whether where they live has good public transport to the school.

HTH!

Quick Reply

Latest